Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjeri

Distinguished Member
Jun 18, 2019
If a firm asks for a business story, are they referring to commercial stories e.g Brexit, or an actual business story please?

++ if it’s an actual business story, how do you make this relate to a specific firm?

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
If a firm asks for a business story, are they referring to commercial stories e.g Brexit, or an actual business story please?

++ if it’s an actual business story, how do you make this relate to a specific firm?

What I do is look at a trend/report in the new news relating to certain practice area/industry - rather than a specific business story.

For instance, it may be a the rise in shareholder activism, rapid growth of PE in 2019, or issues surrounding covalent lite matters.

It makes it a lot easier to tailor it to the firm (esp if they have a strong corporate/PE practice), than say a recent M&A deal you saw on the news - at least in my opinion anyway.

This approach has been well received at interviews and got me through a quite a few applications, so I think it works - although everyone has their own style.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jean

Anjeri

Distinguished Member
Jun 18, 2019
What I do is look at a trend/report in the new news relating to certain practice area/industry - rather than a specific business story.

For instance, it may be a the rise in shareholder activism, rapid growth of PE in 2019, or issues surrounding covalent lite matters.

It makes it a lot easier to tailor it to the firm (esp if they have a strong corporate/PE practice), than say a recent M&A deal you saw on the news - at least in my opinion anyway.

This approach has been well received at interviews and got me through a quite a few applications, so I think it works - although everyone has their own style.

Thank you!!

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
Has anyone been put on the waiting list for Macfarlanes post AC?

This could be totally wrong but I don't think they have a formal waiting list/ would tell you. They might but last year I was rejected after my assessment centre and they rang me about 6 weeks later saying they had made a mistake and did want me (was not because people dropped out but because the standard of ACs was not as high as they predicted)

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
This could be totally wrong but I don't think they have a formal waiting list/ would tell you. They might but last year I was rejected after my assessment centre and they rang me about 6 weeks later saying they had made a mistake and did want me (was not because people dropped out but because the standard of ACs was not as high as they predicted)
So did you do the VS?

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
So they told you people hadn't dropped out but where they don't fill all the places they go back to people they rejected at interview? I guess that's the alternative option to what happens when other firms leaving you waiting to hear for 6 weeks?

ZH

Esteemed Member
Nov 14, 2019
I applied on deadline day and had an AC with them! I think they will continue interviewing until they fill all AC spaces. I assume they haven't sent you a rejection because your app is somewhat good! :)

Hi Holly! Congrats on the AC - would you be able to share how your experience was / what was expected and structure of day?

thanks

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Latham Spring VS offer! 3 VS's for me now so I think I'm fully booked up. Super happy considering the work I have put in (and how my academics have suffered as a consequence!)

I repeat what I have said earlier in this thread. If I can help with application review or AC strategy, let me know/drop me a Pm and I'll do my best!

Best of luck to everyone who is waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.