Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Please note that my intention for writing this isn't to show off or anything, I am just genuinely looking for some advice on an issue that has been troubling me a bit.

I have recieved VS offers from four different firms, on basically the same dates. This means I have no option but to decline two.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Are you able to defer entry to next year? Does turning down a firm mean I won't be able to apply again?

If the specific firm matters, they're Slaughter and May, Taylor Wessing, Norton Rose Fulbright and DLA Piper.

this happens all the time. You won’t be able to defer - it rarely makes sense to if you’d have to choose a TC off the back of this cycle anyway.

choose the 2 firms you most want to work for and do the vac schemes with them.

you can probably apply again, or asked to be moved to the training contract application process. Typically firms will fast track you to final round interview for a TC if you have successfully passed the vac scheme recruitment process. Some will just tell you to reapply for a TC though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, in terms of employment- would firms expect proof for every single employment including unpaid work experiences undertaken abroad?

Depends on the work experience, but typically yes they will at least see if they can seek out references from any employment you have listed as employment.

Rachel S

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Oct 16, 2019
this happens all the time. You won’t be able to defer - it rarely makes sense to if you’d have to choose a TC off the back of this cycle anyway.

choose the 2 firms you most want to work for and do the vac schemes with them.

you can probably apply again, or asked to be moved to the training contract application process. Typically firms will fast track you to final round interview for a TC if you have successfully passed the vac scheme recruitment process. Some will just tell you to reapply for a TC though.

I feel like I am in a slightly similar position in that I have been offered three vacation schemes but am meant to be starting a role as a paralegal next week which would probably mean saying no to one. I am debating not taking up the paralegal role as I currently have a part-time role I can get by on and doing the three vac schemes or, taking the paralegal role and doing two vac schemes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
I feel like I am in a slightly similar position in that I have been offered three vacation schemes but am meant to be starting a role as a paralegal next week which would probably mean saying no to one. I am debating not taking up the paralegal role as I currently have a part-time role I can get by on and doing the three vac schemes or, taking the paralegal role and doing two vac schemes. Any advice would be appreciated.

Assume it’s a temp role if you can’t take holiday? Or would two of the three use up your holiday?

What are the conversion rates for the three schemes? Presumably you’d fancy your chances of securing one of them?

Personally I’d focus on the end game.

Rachel S

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Oct 16, 2019
Assume it’s a temp role if you can’t take holiday? Or would two of the three use up your holiday?

What are the conversion rates for the three schemes? Presumably you’d fancy your chances of securing one of them?

Personally I’d focus on the end game.

Two of the three would be over my holiday entitlement and would certainly leave no room if I did get any interviews in the future. That is really helpful advice - I am a little hesitant to not have been in a professional role for a year but I think that it is probably better to focus on the end goal. Thank you

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Considering the brutal disqualification..I am bit concerned about my overseas academics.

But I am planning to get in touch with every single firm that I am applying to and explain in details how exams are graded in my country. Having a written evidence will prevent any future accusation.

Furthermore, I am also planning to email them all my overseas transcripts. Hopefully this will work.

P.S. guys always contact by email because "verba volant scripta manent"..words fly written stays

Reactions: AH9891

Honest99

Mar 4, 2020
Can people stop scaremongering about grades and qualifications on an application.

Jessica has literally made it clear already, put all your qualifications down. It literally says on almost every application to list down ALL your module grades and exam results.

While it sucks someone’s offer has been revoked, integrity and honesty are everything if you want to pursue a career in law.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Please note that my intention for writing this isn't to show off or anything, I am just genuinely looking for some advice on an issue that has been troubling me a bit.

I have recieved VS offers from four different firms, on basically the same dates. This means I have no option but to decline two.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Are you able to defer entry to next year? Does turning down a firm mean I won't be able to apply again?

If the specific firm matters, they're Slaughter and May, Taylor Wessing, Norton Rose Fulbright and DLA Piper.
Congrats this is a good problem to have. If I were you I’d contact the two you want to decline and ask if you could get entry next year or if they could put you on a direct Tc application. A hard decision though. They are all such fantastic firms

Reactions: M1999 and Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Two of the three would be over my holiday entitlement and would certainly leave no room if I did get any interviews in the future. That is really helpful advice - I am a little hesitant to not have been in a professional role for a year but I think that it is probably better to focus on the end goal. Thank you

That is assuming the firm will give you all your annual leave in one block of time. It would be unusual for a firm to allow you to take 3-4 weeks off back to back or in a short period of time.

One option is to take the paralegal role up now and then resign with enough time to start your vac schemes.

Reactions: HD and Rachel S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Considering the brutal disqualification..I am bit concerned about my overseas academics.

But I am planning to get in touch with every single firm that I am applying to and explain in details how exams are graded in my country. Having a written evidence will prevent any future accusation.

Furthermore, I am also planning to email them all my overseas transcripts. Hopefully this will work.

P.S. guys always contact by email because "verba volant scripta manent"..words fly written stays

not necessary at all to do this

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.