General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseLdn

Mar 5, 2020
What happens to VS places that people have secured but then decline? Are they offered to others who completed the AC?

I heard that some TC places get re-offered at the end of August if people have declined spots.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What happens to VS places that people have secured but then decline? Are they offered to others who completed the AC?

I heard that some TC places get re-offered at the end of August if people have declined spots.

For VS:

some firms will run a “on hold” system for vac schemes. They will tell you if you are on hold.

some firms will just run smaller schemes with fewer people

For TCs:

depends on the firm, the number of VS and TC places, and their recruitment schedule.

Some will over offer knowing there will be declines, so won’t need to offer again.

Some will just wait for the next recruitment cycle knowing they will find people who can start earlier (especially relevant this year with the SQE)

Some firms don’t start their direct TC recruitment process until they have a clearer idea of how many vacancies they have remaining after their vac schemes

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
Do law firms pay much attention to you module marks in an LL.M?

If I am doing an LL.M in one of London's top unis for law and I get high marks in my modules to date, will this compensate for some undergraduate module grades that were a bit meh (even though my overall degree classification is a 2:1).

@Jessica Booker Any idea on how law firms assess/view this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do law firms pay much attention to you module marks in an LL.M?

If I am doing an LL.M in one of London's top unis for law and I get high marks in my modules to date, will this compensate for some undergraduate module grades that were a bit meh (even though my overall degree classification is a 2:1).

@Jessica Booker Any idea on how law firms assess/view this?

depends on the firm and the LLM.

If you are applying to a niche firm and doing a niche related LLM, more weighting will be put on it.

If it’s an unrelated LLM or with a generalist firm, less weighting will be put on it.

I think you said earlier you have a lot of experience in the industry. If that is the case, and LLM is going to have far less impact on your application as a whole.

generally the advice most firms give is only do a LLM for your own interests, not in an attempt to boost your CV. It isn’t always as simple as LLM instantly makes your application better.

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
depends on the firm and the LLM.

If you are applying to a niche firm and doing a niche related LLM, more weighting will be put on it.

If it’s an unrelated LLM or with a generalist firm, less weighting will be put on it.

I think you said earlier you have a lot of experience in the industry. If that is the case, and LLM is going to have far less impact on your application as a whole.

generally the advice most firms give is only do a LLM for your own interests, not in an attempt to boost your CV. It isn’t always as simple as LLM instantly makes your application better.
Fair enough - I mean I am mainly interested and work in Private Equity and my LL.M encompasses a lot of modules such as acquisition finance and Private equity, so hopeful that this would be helpful for when applying.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Fair enough - I mean I am mainly interested and work in Private Equity and my LL.M encompasses a lot of modules such as acquisition finance and Private equity, so hopeful that this would be helpful for when applying.

If it is a very PE focused firm, then possibly it will. But to the firms I worked for that did PE work, it wouldn’t have made a massive difference.

Good academics can always balance out slightly weaker academics elsewhere. But a Masters is just not a golden ticket to prove ability nor interest unfortunately.

It really depends how it fits in with the rest of your profile and experiences though.

Andre

Valued Member
Jan 30, 2020
If it is a very PE focused firm, then possibly it will. But to the firms I worked for that did PE work, it wouldn’t have made a massive difference.

Good academics can always balance out slightly weaker academics elsewhere. But a Masters is just not a golden ticket to prove ability nor interest unfortunately.

It really depends how it fits in with the rest of your profile and experiences though.
Good advice - thanks.

NSinger

Esteemed Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Anyone still waiting for CMS or Withers post application? I submitted CMS on the 6th Jan - worth emailing yet?

CMS:
    Applied on the 20/12/2019
    Got invited to do the WG on 3/1/2020
    Got VI invite on the 3/2/2020
    Still waiting to hear back post VI

I know someone who completed their VI late December and still hasn’t heard back lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone have any tips on preparing group negotiation exercises?

One of those exercises you really can’t prepare you. Need to think about the information presented and the group dynamic there and then.

it will just be general negotiations hints and tips to consider rather than prep

Reactions: Eva

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Hey! I 100000% feel you. I did a vac last year and felt this way and I'm doing vacs this year and STILL feel this way. I always think people on the vac are better than me and I always worry that I'm not interesting enough or even memorable enough to get a TC.

But I received some really good advice today that I think helped me a bit:

1. A vacation scheme is all about doing small things well. As long as you are enthusiastic about everything, make an effort to build relationships with people, and produce good work, you're on track to getting that offer.

2. A lot of us forget what a massive opportunity this is. We're so focused on getting the TC that we forget we've making our first steps into these crazy big name firms where some of the most exciting deals are happening every day. You're there because the firm already see you as a potential long term investment for their firm. Take comfort in that and make full use of the ego boost that gives you!!

It's encouraging to hear I'm not alone in this feeling! Everyone always seems so confident. Your point about looking at it in terms of smaller parts is incredibly helpful actually and makes the two weeks seem far less daunting. Thank you! Fingers crossed for you, we should have more faith in ourselves.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.