General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Me too! Not surprised or anything but its not useful - doesn't actually tell us whether our applications had potential or not??

I attended a Legalcheek event at Travers where their application reopened for the attendees - but their spaces are full . . . o_O
    omg I went to the same one! Seems fishy.... or just annoying tbh. As much as I am a fan of direct to interview I think they would benefit from another stage.

D

Deleted member 5185

Me too! Not surprised or anything but its not useful - doesn't actually tell us whether our applications had potential or not??

I attended a Legalcheek event at Travers where their application reopened for the attendees - but their spaces are full . . . o_O

I agree, I attended that same event which is why I had applied, it’s a bit confusing.

Reactions: ZH

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    I cannot believe I get to say these words, but I have been offered a training contract with Freshfields!!

I have always maintained that the right firm is out there for us all and that we will eventually make it over the line with them when the time is right, and I hope that I can reinforce how truthful this is through my experience! The setbacks and challenges are just paving the way for us to get that all-important "yes" right when you want it the most.

I will be forever grateful to you all for the kindness, encouragement and support you have given me. I also just want to say a special thank you to @Jaysen, @Raam, @Daniel Boden, @Maddie R and @Jessica Booker - you are such wonderful people and friends. I am so excited for this next chapter! :)
    AMAZING NEWS!! Congratulations Alice :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I'm absolutely delighted to announce I've just been offered a place on Gibson Dunn's summer vacation scheme!

After 3 rejections post-AC this cycle, this really is the confidence boost I've needed :D

Hope others have similarly good news this week!
    Congratulations!!! this has further made my week!!! :) :) So well deserved!

bel123456

Valued Member
    Jan 24, 2020
    I just feel so demotivated by the constant rejection. I have done vac schemes before and in my current role am doing work of a trainee, but am just really struggling to nail down a TC, despite being told so many times that I am more than capable. Feel lost and helpless.
    don't give up! we all get there someday. don't let yourself drown in despondent thoughts like that. attitude/mindset wins/loses you half the battle.

Reactions: J32 and W

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    I just feel so demotivated by the constant rejection. I have done vac schemes before and in my current role am doing work of a trainee, but am just really struggling to nail down a TC, despite being told so many times that I am more than capable. Feel lost and helpless.

It’s really important you’re sharing this, because honestly you aren’t alone!!!

You will get there. This process is designed to filter out those who give up in the face of multiple rejections.

I have had quite a difficult cycle and have decided to take a break from TC/VS applications and will start again when I am mentally ready. Perhaps taking a break from applications for a couple of weeks or more if necessary will allow you to see your worth and get back on track.

You’ll get the TC. You’re likely almost there. Don’t give up! :)

ZH

Esteemed Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    omg I went to the same one! Seems fishy.... or just annoying tbh. As much as I am a fan of direct to interview I think they would benefit from another stage.

I agree, I attended that same event which is why I had applied, it’s a bit confusing.

I had actually already submitted my application by this time lol but still.. - good luck with your applications :D #midweekmotivation

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

Is there any specific feedback that you have had?

I can imagine it may be hard, having done the work of a trainee, to go into these interviews with the same motivation, vigour and enthusiasm that you once had. Don't let that come across! You simply have to be as positive as possible and it will happen.

If there is any way I can help, please let me know.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and Holly

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Just for full disclosure, I had a particular day just about three/four weeks ago where I felt exactly like you do right now and I called Jaysen and the lovely people at Rare Recruitment so panicked (and very teary) because I honestly felt so helpless and demoralised by the constant rejections. I cannot tell you just how happy I am now (weirdly) for those experiences and setbacks because 1. when the offer came through it felt like so much more of an achievement 2. I have developed resilience and have better confidence in my own strength going forwards which will hopefully make me a good trainee and 3. I am so appreciative of the opportunity I have been given because I know how much it has taken me to get here.

Please do not give up!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    and also - thank you for your bravery in being honest, i am sure many people on here will feel somewhat reassured that they are not alone in feeling this way

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.