Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Haha, yes I asked two questions - the interview is generally with one partner but I had a second sitting in (as he was 'in training' to be a grad rec partner) so I asked about what motivated them to become grad rec partners, and the second one was about the firm's success in increasing numbers of women at trainee/associate level, and the steps taken to translate this into increased numbers of women at partnership level. From this we had a *very* brief discussion, where I mentioned their flexible working and a few other policies that I thought were really good at helping women get to partnership level.

My only thoughts (and this is completely grasping at straws) is whether they thought these questions or discussion didn't show enough interest. Given what you have said, I still think this would be pretty harsh even if it was the case though.

Caitlin

Distinguished Member
Mar 26, 2019
My only thoughts (and this is completely grasping at straws) is whether they thought these questions or discussion didn't show enough interest. Given what you have said, I still think this would be pretty harsh even if it was the case though.

Ahhh thank you at least it's not just me thinking it's harsh haha! I'm thinking maybe I didn't do anything per se wrong in the interview, but they just didn't think I was a good fit/they thought there were simply just better candidates, and wanted to just try to give me some form of constructive feedback? Onwards and upwards anyway!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jean, 003, ZH and 4 others

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Have any of the spring vac schemes been cancelled yet cos of Corona? I’ve heard loads of spring weeks etc have and been wondering why no law stuff has been cancelled yet

Not yet but deffo fearful this is going to happen. AC’s/open days have already been cancelled, and it’s not such a leap to cancel vac schemes as well.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Congrats Daniel, terrific news!! Treat yourself today!

When did you send out your application? I'm still waiting for Gibson Dunn to get back to me, but I sent it quite late (a few days before deadline) so I've already written it off in my mind.
    Thanks a lot mate! I sent mine in end of November :)

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    Have any of the spring vac schemes been cancelled yet cos of Corona? I’ve heard loads of spring weeks etc have and been wondering why no law stuff has been cancelled yet

Spoke to grad rec yesterday and it’s definitely on the cards that schemes might have to be cancelled. However, at least with mine I’ve been told that they won’t take such steps until they have worked out options for everyone on the scheme, so that was at least some reassurance there.

Reactions: m24 and Shaz

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Spoke to grad rec yesterday and it’s definitely on the cards that schemes might have to be cancelled. However, at least with mine I’ve been told that they won’t take such steps until they have worked out options for everyone on the scheme, so that was at least some reassurance there.
    What firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wouldn’t this affect next years applications? As most of the places will be taken up by the previous years... this corona is a mess!

possibly - although they could be having to backfill roles they didn’t fill from cancelling the spring scheme anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.