General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Dentons delayed my AC for vac scheme to 27th march (it was first shifted from 27th feb to 20th march and now due to covid-19 they have shifted to 27th March) hence 2 delays. but someone on here said they are full for Vac so howcome they're still interviewing me for Vac S?? Any help on this (sorry I am panicking) @Jessica Booker
I just want state that take everything said on this forum with a grain of salt. Everyone is in the same position as you and speculate to make themselves feel better

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dentons delayed my AC for vac scheme to 27th march (it was first shifted from 27th feb to 20th march and now due to covid-19 they have shifted to 27th March) hence 2 delays. but someone on here said they are full for Vac so howcome they're still interviewing me for Vac S?? Any help on this (sorry I am panicking) @Jessica Booker

They may have said it is full knowing they have a number of ACs to complete, so are just not interviewing anyone else, so there are some spots left for those who have already been scheduled.

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019

If you still have an AC with them, regardless of what anyone says/thinks, they still have places on offer for a VS.

If this wasn't true it would be a great financial/time cost commitment to the firm for effectively no result. They're not really in the business of creating practice AC sessions for everyone!

I hope it goes well :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I want to scream.

Finally secured a vac scheme after three years of trying only for it to be postponed.

Someone up there is screwing with me and I don’t like it:mad:

You've still got it - there is just a slight delay. In the grand scheme of your future career this will feel like a micro second, although I completely understand it creates some concern and worry now.

CL-BD

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2019
As a result of coronavirus my face-to-face HR interview is scheduled to be an interview over Skype. Has anyone got any tips for a live video interview? I've never done one of these before.

Will it be obvious if I scroll through a word document on my laptop while they're asking questions? Also is it bad form to pause before answering a question and (subtly) scroll through notes on my laptop? Is it advisable to have a hardcopy so I look away from the screen when "thinking" before answering?

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
As a result of coronavirus my face-to-face HR interview is scheduled to be an interview over Skype. Has anyone got any tips for a live video interview? I've never done one of these before.

Will it be obvious if I scroll through a word document on my laptop while they're asking questions? Also is it bad form to pause before answering a question and (subtly) scroll through notes on my laptop? Is it advisable to have a hardcopy so I look away from the screen when "thinking" before answering?

I think it would be obvious. At open days I've been to, grad rec have said in video interviews that they can easily tell when someone is reading off the screen - and said not to do it.

@Jessica Booker mentioned a good idea earlier - which was to stick post it notes in the wall behind your laptop. That way they act as prompts for things you may forget to say in the interview - and its not obvious that you're actually using any notes.

In any case though, I think you should treat it like a 1 to 1 interview you would have had in person - so in my opinion I think its best to memorise everything like you would have had to do. It will make the interview feel 100% more natural that way as well.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Ali2020, csyn, AY and 4 others

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Yes - don't rely on a heavy script. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, try key words on post it notes behind your screen/webcam

You wouldn't have a laptop in front of you in a face to face interview, so don't use one in the manner you are suggesting. It's bound to create you more confused and unfocused

Try not to rely on notes at all. You want to try and maintain ”eye contact” with the camera

Lea.E-R

Dec 25, 2019
Hi there,

Does anyone have any tips for Jones Day's interview? I have mine in a few days and I start getting a bit stressed.
As I am not even British/don't live in the UK, nobody in my surrounding has ever experienced an interview like that/I don't have any feedback... The bottom line is, I'd be super grateful if anyone could share their experience with me.
Thanks a lot :)

AAS18

Aug 5, 2019
Hi there,

Does anyone have any tips for Jones Day's interview? I have mine in a few days and I start getting a bit stressed.
As I am not even British/don't live in the UK, nobody in my surrounding has ever experienced an interview like that/I don't have any feedback... The bottom line is, I'd be super grateful if anyone could share their experience with me.
Thanks a lot :)
PM me

• 🤝
Reactions: Lea.E-R
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.