General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
Hi all, anyone have any tips for video interviews, I've had three this cycle and only managed to progress past that stage for only one firm, not sure if that one was a fluke as I pretty much did the same approach in all three, I've just been invited for another one so I'll be very grateful if anyone has any tips/advice as I really really want to smash this one. Thanks :)

• 🏆
Reactions: thirdtimelucky

AY

Mar 2, 2020
Hi all, anyone have any tips for video interviews, I've had three this cycle and only managed to progress past that stage for only one firm, not sure if that one was a fluke as I pretty much did the same approach in all three, I've just been invited for another one so I'll be very grateful if anyone has any tips/advice as I really really want to smash this one. Thanks :)
I’m no expert in vid interviews only done two, but for the one I passed I tried to focus on the structure of my answer. On the sticky notes bullet point three or four points that you want to talk about eg why a firm. By having a structured answer it will ensure you won’t mess up as much. — for example 1. Practice areas/expertise 2. Culture 3. Training experience 4. Etc. Those are just examples of some of the things you could say, not what you have to. Each firm will have different unique qualities that stand out. Also practice practice practice (including recording yourself with a timer). Hope this helps :)

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
I’m no expert in vid interviews only done two, but for the one I passed I tried to focus on the structure of my answer. On the sticky notes bullet point three or four points that you want to talk about eg why a firm. By having a structured answer it will ensure you won’t mess up as much. — for example 1. Practice areas/expertise 2. Culture 3. Training experience 4. Etc. Those are just examples of some of the things you could say, not what you have to. Each firm will have different unique qualities that stand out. Also practice practice practice (including recording yourself with a timer). Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much!! I appreciate this. I'll definitely keep practicing as much as possible, I usually use sticky notes too but I'll definitely make them more prompt too :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G and AY

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018

You can usually find the timings for it somewhere online ie how long you are given to answer. You also tend to be able to find out what category of questions will or won't come up eg commercial/competency/motivational/strengths/situational. Then I like to write out full answers to questions I think could come up and practice them out loud and refine the answer until its within the time limit. For ones I am less sure will come up I like to bullet point just so I know what I would say. After that, it is usually easier to adapt your answer to the actual question being asked whilst making sure you aren't cut off/too far under the time given.

I understand some can't be prepared for, which I haven't actually encountered, but I would imagine taking deep breaths and keeping a clear head would see you through that. It's easy to panic and then end up waffling at the speed of light.

Reactions: Annalise2.0

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019

As much preparation as you can do, the best tip is to practice. There are some online resources you can use but what I have done is just open the camera on my laptop and record myself answering a question. If there is a time frame mentioned (e.g 1 minute preparation, 2 minutes to answer) then you should practice this. I rewatched my videos and practiced multiple times to improve. It's very important to look at the camera directly and not at the screen. Try to avoid saying "um" or "uh" and avoid rambling. If you finish your answer with 30 seconds to spare, it's okay to stop there instead of rambling on.

It's okay if you make mistakes throughout answering, but don't get stuck on this. Firms know that applicants will be nervous but it's important to be yourself, show your personality when answering questions, and also be confident! Good luck :)

Reactions: Annalise2.0

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
You can usually find the timings for it somewhere online ie how long you are given to answer. You also tend to be able to find out what category of questions will or won't come up eg commercial/competency/motivational/strengths/situational. Then I like to write out full answers to questions I think could come up and practice them out loud and refine the answer until its within the time limit. For ones I am less sure will come up I like to bullet point just so I know what I would say. After that, it is usually easier to adapt your answer to the actual question being asked whilst making sure you aren't cut off/too far under the time given.

I understand some can't be prepared for, which I haven't actually encountered, but I would imagine taking deep breaths and keeping a clear head would see you through that. It's easy to panic and then end up waffling at the speed of light.

Thanks for this Jennifer!! I appreciate the tips. I think practicing within the time limits is definitely something I need to do more of.

Annalise2.0

Jan 15, 2019
As much preparation as you can do, the best tip is to practice. There are some online resources you can use but what I have done is just open the camera on my laptop and record myself answering a question. If there is a time frame mentioned (e.g 1 minute preparation, 2 minutes to answer) then you should practice this. I rewatched my videos and practiced multiple times to improve. It's very important to look at the camera directly and not at the screen. Try to avoid saying "um" or "uh" and avoid rambling. If you finish your answer with 30 seconds to spare, it's okay to stop there instead of rambling on.

It's okay if you make mistakes throughout answering, but don't get stuck on this. Firms know that applicants will be nervous but it's important to be yourself, show your personality when answering questions, and also be confident! Good luck :)

Thank you so much!! I definitely find that I tend to ramble when flustered haha so I will practice set questions to avoid this.

Reactions: Asmee DC

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Just had 2 rejections Anthony Collins and Withers within the space of minutes today, feeling very unsettled and worried now, considering doing some TC applications, but I know the factor that's holding me back is a 2.2, (however I had extenuating circumstances). I know this is the career path that I want to pursue but Im not sure how I can feel motivated having just received these rejections.

Any advice anyone can give me?:(

• 🤝
Reactions: GM, JayB and Olivia Graham

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just had 2 rejections Anthony Collins and Withers within the space of minutes today, feeling very unsettled and worried now, considering doing some TC applications, but I know the factor that's holding me back is a 2.2, (however I had extenuating circumstances). I know this is the career path that I want to pursue but Im not sure how I can feel motivated having just received these rejections.

Any advice anyone can give me?:(

I always recommend trying to network with firms first if you don't necessarily meet the criteria (even if you have ext circs). This will help you build your profile outside of your application. It's a little more effort/time consuming - but will help long term.

Reactions: GM and Alice G

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
I always recommend trying to network with firms first if you don't necessarily meet the criteria (even if you have ext circs). This will help you build your profile outside of your application. It's a little more effort/time consuming - but will help long term.
Thank you for the advice I'll make a conscious effort to do this

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you for the advice Ill make a conscious effort to do this
I agree with @Jessica Booker and would also maybe suggest you consider doing some extra bits and pieces to embellish your CV a little bit more. It could be something as simple as taking language classes or training towards something in your spare time (because this is free too if you can train outdoors!) I really do not think a 2:2 will stand in your way, especially with mitigating circumstances. It is just about building up your apps and CV so as to make them see how well-rounded you are and to see the sorts of skills and person you are which you can bring to the firm :) I would also recommend doing things like the AS commercial awareness comp this next cycle too if you can enter this as these are all great things to have on your CV to help bolster your apps :)

i actually ought to caveat this and say this entirely depends upon individual circunstances because I do appreciate many people already have a heck of a lot on their plate and that financial constraints can factor into this too because obviously language classes etc do come at a cost :)

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
I agree with @Jessica Booker and would also maybe suggest you consider doing some extra bits and pieces to embellish your CV a little bit more. It could be something as simple as taking language classes or training towards something in your spare time (because this is free too if you can train outdoors!) I really do not think a 2:2 will stand in your way, especially with mitigating circumstances. It is just about building up your apps and CV so as to make them see how well-rounded you are and to see the sorts of skills and person you are which you can bring to the firm :) I would also recommend doing things like the AS commercial awareness comp this next cycle too if you can enter this as these are all great things to have on your CV to help bolster your apps :)

i actually ought to caveat this and say this entirely depends upon individual circumstances because I do appreciate many people already have a heck of a lot on their plate and that financial constraints can factor into this too because obviously language classes etc do come at a cost :)

Thank you so much I really appreciate any advice and I will look into - currently I work in an administration job which has plenty of transferable skills, I do court volunteering and used to volunteer to help children develop reading skill at a local primary school which again is transferable. I even had my CV checked professionally in order to make sure I was really making my skills clear-

But again I will definitely try some of what you have suggested, thankyou!:)

Reactions: Eva and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you so much I really appreciate any advice and I will look into - currently I work in an administration job which has plenty of transferable skills, I do court volunteering and used to volunteer to help children develop reading skill at a local primary school which again is transferable. I even had my CV checked professionally in order to make sure I was really making my skills clear-

But again I will definitely try some of what you have suggested, thankyou!:)
No worries and these absolutely sound like great experiences and are certainly transferable! It's just always about giving yourself the best chance to stand out on paper and making sure you have some variety in those experiences etc.

I think a great starting point for this can be thinking about what scares you and what would really push you outside of your comfort zone? i reckon that starting with this and trying to go about pushing those boundaries can be a really great thing to add to your CV and to your apps and for interviews, as this shows real tenacity and resilience which all law firms hope to see from their prospective trainees! :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know everything that is going on is making more people nervous/anxious - as someone who is self-employed I completely understand this worry.

However, I had to look on my LinkedIn this morning as I was trying to track down people. One of the words I had to search was "Associate", which obviously meant I got a lot of hits from my network where I have worked in law firms.

The thing I noticed was how many 100s of people are now associates (and senior associates, or even now partners!) who are people who I know I turned down between 2008-2014. Just because you are getting a "rejection" now, this does not mean its going to define your future career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.