Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I know everything that is going on is making more people nervous/anxious - as someone who is self-employed I completely understand this worry.

However, I had to look on my LinkedIn this morning as I was trying to track down people. One of the words I had to search was "Associate", which obviously meant I got a lot of hits from my network where I have worked in law firms.

The thing I noticed was how many 100s of people are now associates (and senior associates, or even now partners!) who are people who I know I turned down between 2008-2014. Just because you are getting a "rejection" now, this does not mean its going to define your future career.

This is some serious Monday Motivation!! :)

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I know everything that is going on is making more people nervous/anxious - as someone who is self-employed I completely understand this worry.

However, I had to look on my LinkedIn this morning as I was trying to track down people. One of the words I had to search was "Associate", which obviously meant I got a lot of hits from my network where I have worked in law firms.

The thing I noticed was how many 100s of people are now associates (and senior associates, or even now partners!) who are people who I know I turned down between 2008-2014. Just because you are getting a "rejection" now, this does not mean its going to define your future career.
Thank you so much for this. I’m going through a really difficult time personally aside from Covid19. I really appreciate your advice and optimism.

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020

This makes me hopeful, its very helpful

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
No worries and these absolutely sound like great experiences and are certainly transferable! It's just always about giving yourself the best chance to stand out on paper and making sure you have some variety in those experiences etc.

I think a great starting point for this can be thinking about what scares you and what would really push you outside of your comfort zone? i reckon that starting with this and trying to go about pushing those boundaries can be a really great thing to add to your CV and to your apps and for interviews, as this shows real tenacity and resilience which all law firms hope to see from their prospective trainees! :)

I will definitely be taking that advice on board and its made me a bit more hopeful! Ill keep trying and definitely make the TC applications I was considering passing on :)

Reactions: Alice G and Eva

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
CRS have postponed their spring VS! Hardly unexpected just v frustrating... :( my first vac scheme offer after few cycles of trying so just very bad luck! I know we're all in the same boat and theres nothing we can do but its hard to keep your head up! A spring VS would have been great to put on direct TC apps which was my plan but oh well... anyone else in a similar boat I sympathize!

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
CRS have postponed their spring VS! Hardly unexpected just v frustrating... :( my first vac scheme offer after few cycles of trying so just very bad luck! I know we're all in the same boat and theres nothing we can do but its hard to keep your head up! A spring VS would have been great to put on direct TC apps which was my plan but oh well... anyone else in a similar boat I sympathize!
It will still happen, just a bit later remember that

Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and AY

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018

It's frustrating as we were finally within reach of that TC but we just need to be patient and continue to look forward to it in the meantime. And tbh, even if it were going ahead I doubt I could fully embrace the experience and all the socials with all that's going on right now.

Reactions: AY

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Can companies that have offered a TC take it away?

Of course, a training contract is like any other job offer so it can be terminated/cancelled because:
1) a prospective trainee failed to fulfill a condition of the job offer (e.g. if s/he had to pass the LPC on the first attempt but failed to do so, they did not disclose all required information, etc.), or
2) a law firm goes into difficulties (after all, every law firm is still a business and this can and actually did happen in a past a fair share of times), merges, closes, etc.

Reactions: csyn and Jade

Parent

Feb 16, 2020
Of course, a training contract is like any other job offer so it can be terminated/cancelled because:
1) a prospective trainee failed to fulfill a condition of the job offer (e.g. if s/he had to pass the LPC on the first attempt but failed to do so, they did not disclose all required information, etc.), or
2) a law firm goes into difficulties (after all, every law firm is still a business and this can and actually did happen in a past a fair share of times), merges, closes, etc.
I meant right now. Between them offering, me accepting and them confirming.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I meant right now. Between them offering, me accepting and them confirming.

Sorry, I am a bit confused, but do you mean them removing the training contract vacancies effectively? Then the answer is, again, yes - no law firm is under obligation to take on trainees, they can even hold final interviews and then decide that after all they don't want to take any trainees and subsequently make no offers.

Nik L

Dec 30, 2019
How likely is it that firms will cut down the number of trainees they take on/not take anyone at all this year? Trying to gauge our chances of being employed this cycle...

Parent

Feb 16, 2020
Sorry, I am a bit confused, but do you mean them removing the training contract vacancies effectively? Then the answer is, again, yes - no law firm is under obligation to take on trainees, they can even hold final interviews and then decide that after all they don't want to take any trainees and subsequently make no offers.

Sorry if not clear. I meant once they have offered, albeit conditional, can they withdraw an offer? Meaning can they turn round and say “sorry we need to cut trainee places so your offer is withdrawn.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.