Feeling despondent this VS cycle..any advice is welcome

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
This year I decided I would make a conscious effort to decrease the number of VS applications that I did in comparison to last year, in order to be able to fully research the firms that I was applying to. I took a lot of time and effort out to do this, to also note I'm dyslexic and had some very tough mit circ's that affected my whole degree that were pretty serious. Yet I didn't let it get in the way of the career aspirations I had. The problem was the MC's that I had did affect my grades and currently I'm predicted a 2:2.

I currently work an admin job and volunteer

I received two rejections within a matter of minutes today and it was really soul destroying when I actually put in so much time and effort, not to mention how many times I made drafts and edited them numerous times. Im not sure where I've gone wrong and I genuinely have no interest in any other career path.

Any advice?

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    This year I decided I would make a conscious effort to decrease the number of VS applications that I did in comparison to last year, in order to be able to fully research the firms that I was applying to. I took a lot of time and effort out to do this, to also note I'm dyslexic and had some very tough mit circ's that affected my whole degree that were pretty serious. Yet I didn't let it get in the way of the career aspirations I had. The problem was the MC's that I had did affect my grades and currently I'm predicted a 2:2.

I currently work an admin job and volunteer

I received two rejections within a matter of minutes today and it was really soul destroying when I actually put in so much time and effort, not to mention how many times I made drafts and edited them numerous times. Im not sure where I've gone wrong and I genuinely have no interest in any other career path.

Any advice?

I would look at increasing the number of applications you make, in addition to ensuring each one is of high quality.

I have a 2:1 overall with a 2:2 in second year and I have terrible BTEC results.

I applied to 6 firms last year and I got one video interview (did not progress further) and one AC.

I made 20 apps this VS cycle and I got one video interview (did not progress further) and 4 ACs. By increasing the number of apps made I have quadruped my chance of success.

That is not a great app-to-AC conversion rate I know, but given my academics I don't think it is too bad. Essentially, it is a numbers game. In my opinion, you need to be making as many applications as you can, but you also need to be choosing the firms wisely and tailoring each app. It has also helped me to have friends with TC's/ Rare and/or TCLA's review service to have a look over my apps and make sure they are up to scratch.

By making more high-quality applications, it makes each rejection hurt a little less because you still have a number of firms you have not heard back from yet. And if you choose the firms wisely, and have a compelling story for why you would be a good fit for the firm, you will eventually get somewhere. Try meeting the firm, speaking to trainees and doing as much extra research as you can for each firm, but keep the volumes high.

If you are still at uni, you might not have time to make 20-odd apps, in which case I would suggest focusing on your uni work to get the best grades possible, and then making applications afterwards.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I would look at increasing the number of applications you make, in addition to ensuring each one is of high quality.

I have a 2:1 overall with a 2:2 in second year and I have terrible BTEC results.

I applied to 6 firms last year and I got one video interview (did not progress further) and one AC.

I made 20 apps this VS cycle and I got one video interview (did not progress further) and 4 ACs. By increasing the number of apps made I have quadruped my chance of success.

That is not a great app-to-AC conversion rate I know, but given my academics I don't think it is too bad. Essentially, it is a numbers game. In my opinion, you need to be making as many applications as you can, but you also need to be choosing the firms wisely and tailoring each app. It has also helped me to have friends with TC's/ Rare and/or TCLA's review service to have a look over my apps and make sure they are up to scratch.

By making more high-quality applications, it makes each rejection hurt a little less because you still have a number of firms you have not heard back from yet. And if you choose the firms wisely, and have a compelling story for why you would be a good fit for the firm, you will eventually get somewhere. Try meeting the firm, speaking to trainees and doing as much extra research as you can for each firm, but keep the volumes high.

If you are still at uni, you might not have time to make 20-odd apps, in which case I would suggest focusing on your uni work to get the best grades possible, and then making applications afterwards.

Really agree with this. I have seen many applications that I thought were fantastic go on to receive rejections. There’s so many elements that come into play that you can’t guarantee you’ll get interviews, which is why I would always recommend sending as many (good) applications as you can.

S321

Star Member
    Jan 28, 2020

Thankyou, I appreciate the advice and I'll take that on. Thankyou!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Camilla

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I agree with the advice given here @S321. Next year I'd definitely take up the advice from @Camilla regarding the number of apps. Sometimes, applications do get rejected (as @Jaysen said) for baffling reasons. I still cannot tell you why my A&O app got rejected this year! I'd also ensure you have some other people look over the apps to see if they can make improvements.

I know you say you are "predicted" a 2:2, but, given that we're near the end of the cycle, is there any way you can put some additional focus on your academics to try and scrape that 2:1? It will make a huge difference to your app's. If this is the career for you, I'd even consider going to the lengths of private tutoring etc to try and bump that grade up. It'll all pay for itself in the long run.

I have looked at apps for people who have had a tough time this cycle and offered some advice. Let me know if you'd like me to look over an app!

S321

Star Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    I agree with the advice given here @S321. Next year I'd definitely take up the advice from @Camilla regarding the number of apps. Sometimes, applications do get rejected (as @Jaysen said) for baffling reasons. I still cannot tell you why my A&O app got rejected this year! I'd also ensure you have some other people look over the apps to see if they can make improvements.

I know you say you are "predicted" a 2:2, but, given that we're near the end of the cycle, is there any way you can put some additional focus on your academics to try and scrape that 2:1? It will make a huge difference to your app's. If this is the career for you, I'd even consider going to the lengths of private tutoring etc to try and bump that grade up. It'll all pay for itself in the long run.

I have looked at apps for people who have had a tough time this cycle and offered some advice. Let me know if you'd like me to look over an app!

Hi thank you for your advice, unfortunately I cant bump up the grade as I only have one submission left that wont change my overall grade now, I had to take a year out due to as aforementioned, some serious mit circs and only had one submission remaining. During the year I have made an active effort to keep on with my administration role and also secure as much legal related volunteering work possible.

I still want to apply to ashfords VS, so yes I would appreciate if you could have a read over that if possible

Again- thank you for the advice

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    Completely agree with the advice above, particularly concerning the possibility of making applications once you have completely finished with university. There's a constant pressure to have something lined up for once you graduate but there's no harm at all taking a year out to focus on producing more high quality applications. It also allows you to get your applications in earlier, which can only increase your odds. You will have learned so much from those rejections which you won't realise until you start your next one.

I am also dyslexic and the best thing I found was to have someone read my application, particularly people who had nothing to do with law. They were able to point out which sentences were too long or flowery (which I had thought were perfectly okay but never mind haha), where something was unclear, or where the structure could be jiggled around slightly. If it is clear to the lay person, I think it improves the quality of your application immensely.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Completely agree with the advice above, particularly concerning the possibility of making applications once you have completely finished with university. There's a constant pressure to have something lined up for once you graduate but there's no harm at all taking a year out to focus on producing more high quality applications. It also allows you to get your applications in earlier, which can only increase your odds. You will have learned so much from those rejections which you won't realise until you start your next one.

I am also dyslexic and the best thing I found was to have someone read my application, particularly people who had nothing to do with law. They were able to point out which sentences were too long or flowery (which I had thought were perfectly okay but never mind haha), where something was unclear, or where the structure could be jiggled around slightly. If it is clear to the lay person, I think it improves the quality of your application immensely.
    just to add to that point about taking time out - I graduated in 2017 and it was all the jobs i did in the year that followed which informed my why law and helped me to be able to deliver a bit of a story for why I have come to make my applications. There is no harm in doing jobs and bits here and there whilst you apply to help develop skills and give more of a backbone to your why law. I have to say, whilst that year i felt lost, it has turned out to be one of the best years because of all that it taught me!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.