General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    I got a paid subscription for Assessment Day and Job Test Prep and did every test 5 times minimum.

Free resources include:
    • The Watson Glaser on Clifford Chance's website.
    • The practise Watson Glaser on the Pearson Talentlens website.
    These are actually pretty good replicas of the real thing and they don't tell you the right answer so you can keep practising and trying to improve your score. If you have a week to complete it that should be enough time. Practise as much as you can.

Good luck!
    Thank you v much!

Reactions: Camilla

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    @Alice G Huge congratulations again on your Freshfields TC offer! Been following your journey on the forums for a while and it's so refreshing to see you succeed!

I think I speak for all of us in that, it'd be amazing if you wrote about your experiences and your own tips/hints for TCs/VSs applications and your journey to Freshfields too.

Thanks for being such an asset to the forum! Apologies for the belated congratulations, work has been so manic!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @Alice G Huge congratulations again on your Freshfields TC offer! Been following your journey on the forums for a while and it's so refreshing to see you succeed!

I think I speak for all of us in that, it'd be amazing if you wrote about your experiences and your own tips/hints for TCs/VSs applications and your journey to Freshfields too.

Thanks for being such an asset to the forum! Apologies for the belated congratulations, work has been so manic!
    This message hugely brightened my Friday - thank you! And please do not apologise - I am in totally the same boat and I am so grateful for your well wishes :) Another candidate reached out and has asked me to do the same so it is definitely on the agenda! I have just been trying to think about what might actually the best way to go about it! I guess where my journey has been a long one I want to know what would be best to cover. With this in mind - how do you guys feel about a bit of a Q&A thread about my journey and then maybe in future I could look at working with @Jaysen on a video or some content?

Just trying to think about what you guys want to know, what would help the best and how to convey it all to you without me writing something of a Tolstoy novel into the forums! :D

Honestly really keen to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    This message hugely brightened my Friday - thank you! And please do not apologise - I am in totally the same boat and I am so grateful for your well wishes :) Another candidate reached out and has asked me to do the same so it is definitely on the agenda! I have just been trying to think about what might actually the best way to go about it! I guess where my journey has been a long one I want to know what would be best to cover. With this in mind - how do you guys feel about a bit of a Q&A thread about my journey and then maybe in future I could look at working with @Jaysen on a video or some content?

Just trying to think about what you guys want to know, what would help the best and how to convey it all to you without me writing something of a Tolstoy novel into the forums! :D

Honestly really keen to hear your thoughts and opinions!
    That would be so helpful I think! a Q&A video or thread I mean

• 🏆
    Reactions: J32 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    That would be so helpful I think! a Q&A video or thread I mean
    Excellent! Thank you for feeding back so soon! Yeah I felt a Q&A might honestly be the best approach and maybe in time I can do a bit of video content with Jaysen or something on our social media to speak in real-time about my journey more generally! Keep letting me know though guys if you agree with this approach or have any other suggestions! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: NickMcK and Ifmhouse4

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Q&A would be good but maybe a little write up too about your journey. Now that most of us have received responses, I know that some of us are feeling some type of way. Would be good to see how you bounced back! And a video with Jaysen would be so amazing!

Congratulations again and I hope you celebrated before all this madness!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Q&A would be good but maybe a little write up too about your journey. Now that most of us have received responses, I know that some of us are feeling some type of way. Would be good to see how you bounced back! And a video with Jaysen would be so amazing!

Congratulations again and I hope you celebrated before all this madness!
    I will try and work on writing something up too :) Thank you! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and NickMcK

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Bakers TC applicants: Are Grad Rec getting back to you guys ASAP? Not sure whether to leave it for another few days or prioritise. Wouldn't want to work on it if I'm not going to hear back for a while.

L197

Jan 31, 2020
    Hey guys!! Can anyone offer any insight into how long Jones Day took to get back to everyone after a vacation scheme interview?
    Hope everyone is staying safe and thank you in advance!! X

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2020
    Hey guys!! Can anyone offer any insight into how long Jones Day took to get back to everyone after a vacation scheme interview?
    Hope everyone is staying safe and thank you in advance!! X
    Hi, they got to me in about 2 weeks! but it may take longer now given the current climate - hope that helps!

Reactions: L197

Alison_a

Standard Member
    Mar 21, 2020
    I just read this online from an trainee/associate who wrote about their experience at Weil: "Partners appear to have almost a sadistic desire to make associates' life as miserable as possible. An email with a huge and boring assignment sent on Friday night is not an exception, it is the rule. Frankly, if you don't get one, make sure to refresh your browser, it is definitely in your mailbox already waiting for you. Weekends? What weekends? Weekends are just the days when you can do document review from the comfort of your own couch instead of super bad office chairs. Interesting work? Fascinating cases? What a joke. For the first two years, you will be doing doc review day in and day out with no end in sight. Culture? Culture is toxic. People pride themselves on having no life, no hobbies, no joy, and no sleep. Half the office is taking Adderal or Zanax, another half takes both. It is hard to judge them, you do what you got to do to survive. Expected work availability - 24/7. Don't you dare take a nap! "This is Weil, not some job in the Midwest” - might be an actual quote from a partner. You billed less than 50 hours last week? You are so lazy, here is another doc review project, make sure you keeping your numbers up. Oh, you billed more than 50 last week. LAZY! If you below 70, you still have time. Feedback? Typically none, but sometimes you will get screamed at for making the smallest mistake. Diversity? Haha. That's a great one. For Pride Month, they changed a logo to a rainbow. That’s enough, right? Right? Mentoring? What mentoring? I got a lunch with my mentor once, six other people were also present. Discussion evolved around TV shows that aired before I was born."

What are peoples thoughts on this @Jaysen ?

Reactions: Daniel Boden

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    There's a few direct TC deadlines coming up and I was hoping to have some legal work experience to include but coronavirus has ruined my plans. I didn't secure any vac schemes this cycle so was hoping to make up for it! Hope its still worth applying, I know my applications really need strengthening with more relevant experience but its a little difficult to do in the middle of a pandemic. Hope everyone is as well as possible.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Zoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just read this online from an trainee/associate who wrote about their experience at Weil: "Partners appear to have almost a sadistic desire to make associates' life as miserable as possible. An email with a huge and boring assignment sent on Friday night is not an exception, it is the rule. Frankly, if you don't get one, make sure to refresh your browser, it is definitely in your mailbox already waiting for you. Weekends? What weekends? Weekends are just the days when you can do document review from the comfort of your own couch instead of super bad office chairs. Interesting work? Fascinating cases? What a joke. For the first two years, you will be doing doc review day in and day out with no end in sight. Culture? Culture is toxic. People pride themselves on having no life, no hobbies, no joy, and no sleep. Half the office is taking Adderal or Zanax, another half takes both. It is hard to judge them, you do what you got to do to survive. Expected work availability - 24/7. Don't you dare take a nap! "This is Weil, not some job in the Midwest” - might be an actual quote from a partner. You billed less than 50 hours last week? You are so lazy, here is another doc review project, make sure you keeping your numbers up. Oh, you billed more than 50 last week. LAZY! If you below 70, you still have time. Feedback? Typically none, but sometimes you will get screamed at for making the smallest mistake. Diversity? Haha. That's a great one. For Pride Month, they changed a logo to a rainbow. That’s enough, right? Right? Mentoring? What mentoring? I got a lunch with my mentor once, six other people were also present. Discussion evolved around TV shows that aired before I was born."

What are peoples thoughts on this @Jaysen ?

I am assuming this was

1) anonymous
    2) on something like Legal Cheek
    3) sounds like it was written by someone in the US anyway (so won’t be a trainee).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.