General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 16, 2018
Thanks you said something like that previously. Do you have some sort of intel that we should know of? lol

Yes. The graduate recruiters. For instance, they still had spaces left for the 2021 intake from the last cycle. They then paused 2021 intake applications from the last cycle while the Winter VS was going on as they wanted to fill it from that first. They then filled all the remaining 2021 intake spaces from that and closed that process. They much rather recruit through the VS then through direct applications as do a number of firms now, especially those with smaller intakes.

Reactions: Charles and Alice G

Charles

Distinguished Member
Sep 25, 2019
Yes. The graduate recruiters. For instance, they still had spaces left for the 2021 intake from the last cycle. They then paused 2021 intake applications from the last cycle while the Winter VS was going on as they wanted to fill it from that first. They then filled all the remaining 2021 intake spaces from that and closed that process. They much rather recruit through the VS then through direct applications as do a number of firms now, especially those with smaller intakes.

Thanks

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Guys,

I know it is a difficult moment and we are all feeling a bit down.
However, this is also a time where we can learn what we want from our life.

1) do you want to become a solicitor? Yes, then try to create a calendar for your apps. Even if you only answer one question..it is already something.
2) if you are choosing another career, google how to get in, network on Linkedin or do some free courses on Coursera.
3) Relaaax..watch silly youtube videos, do some yoga or exercise (Youtube is full) learn how to bake pizza, read free e-books.
4) If you feel alone or just want to cry..PM me and we can have a chat.
5) take part in 100 abs a day challenge with me..suffer with me plse!!

We got this!!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Guys,

1) do you want to become a solicitor? Yes, then try to create a calendar for your apps. Even if you only answer one question..it is already something.
2) if you are choosing another career, google how to get in, network on Linkedin or do some free courses on Coursera.
3) Relaaax..watch silly youtube videos, do some yoga or exercise (Youtube is full) learn how to bake pizza, read free e-books.

We got this!!!
I love this post! Thank you for putting a huge smile on my face this morning! :)

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Everyone needs to stop being so hard on themselves. We’re in a pandemic- it’s scary and uncertain. My family have been very ill with the virus so I have been quarantining now for 3 weeks. It’s okay to be demotivated. You don’t have to do something productive every second of the day, you can have a week off. Yes you should use your spare time accordingly but acting like just because you have all this spare time that you must do work is ridiculous- it’s a pandemic! Please stop being hard on yourself, your health is the most important thing :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Guys,

We got this!!!
You have completely inspired me and I have created this thread:
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/inspiration.2275/

I just thought it might be nice (and hopefully positive) for us to share the things we are doing during this time, such as rediscovering an old hobby or even books, films and podcasts you have enjoyed. Like I say in the thread, if you are trying to relax and chill then that too is a great way to spend this time if you need that break! I could definitely do with some inspiration and I am sure we are all doing lots of different things so it would be great to hear what you're all up to :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Everyone needs to stop being so hard on themselves. We’re in a pandemic- it’s scary and uncertain. My family have been very ill with the virus so I have been quarantining now for 3 weeks. It’s okay to be demotivated. You don’t have to do something productive every second of the day, you can have a week off. Yes you should use your spare time accordingly but acting like just because you have all this spare time that you must do work is ridiculous- it’s a pandemic! Please stop being hard on yourself, your health is the most important thing :)
Exactly...I am going to take Thursday afternoon off. After my work..I am going to cook a lovely dinner and binge watch Netflix!!
I want to watch the new show with Octavia spencer..but suggestions are welcome!!!

Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I really hope that you and your family are ok. I totally agree with you - many of us probably feel anxious and overwhelmed and it is absolutely ok to give yourself a break during this time

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
You have completely inspired me and I have created this thread:
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/inspiration.2275/

I just thought it might be nice (and hopefully positive) for us to share the things we are doing during this time, such as rediscovering an old hobby or even books, films and podcasts you have enjoyed. Like I say in the thread, if you are trying to relax and chill then that too is a great way to spend this time if you need that break! I could definitely do with some inspiration and I am sure we are all doing lots of different things so it would be great to hear what you're all up to :)
Perfect, I can upload some inspiring playlists or youtube videos for yoga or exercise classes.

Reactions: Alice G

my_man_123

Mar 5, 2020
Surprisingly, I have actually heard back from a Law Firm.

CMS Solicitor Apprenticeship - I have been notified I have made it through the video interview and online testing phases and I am now onto the assessment day. However, due to COVID-19: "This will involve a case study immediately followed by a competency-based interview by video.

This interview will measure your interpersonal skills, commercial awareness, your potential, career focus and motivation for the CMS programme that you have applied for."

Interesting, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.