General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

E

Feb 5, 2020
I haven't got experience with BCLP, but if they do not have this on their website, it may be an idea to look for interviews with any of their personnel on the subject of graduate recruitment to see if that sheds any light. Or I also find that Youtube and social media can be good resources as you can often get a sense of a firm through them and they may even have promotional materials directed at helping candidates to understand what they look for.
Thank you!!!:)

Reactions: Alice G

L.M.P

Star Member
Jan 24, 2019
Anyone still not heard back from Ashurst direct tc? (After initial application)

Not sure whether to email as I see lots of people are getting telephone interviews?
frown.png

micross

Feb 1, 2020
Is anybody still waiting to hear back from DAC Beachcroft following the VI (the one that had a deadline on 31/01)?
I see more people getting invites now but here I am wondering whether the VI that I did back in January actually got lost :p

(my application is still pending, so I'm still hoping for good news!)
Yeahh, I completed mine in early January. Seems like a lifetime ago now. No idea whats happening as they've not been in contact.

Reactions: D95 and nymi

Eva

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Mar 24, 2018
Hi there, I'm doing my research for BCLP's TC application and am struggling to find their "what we look for" bit. Is anyone able to help me out? Thank you!!!

Hi E, I managed to find it under the 'FAQ - Job Description of a Trainee Solicitor' section through clicking the 'Apply Now' tab, which you can access at https://trainee.bclplaw.com/apply-now.

I copied and pasted the relevant 'what we look for' bit below for your reference:

Qualifications and skills

We welcome applications from students and graduates of any discipline and from any university. We no longer have a minimum requirement for grades. Please note, to be eligible to apply for a training contract you must be in at least your penultimate year of a law degree or final year of a non-law degree.

We are also looking for you to demonstrate that you have the skills and behaviours which would expect from our trainees:
  • Hardworking and well-rounded individuals
  • Willingness to learn and be curious
  • Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness
  • Creative with problem solving
  • Ability to see the wider context of the work that we do for our clients
  • Intellectual ability
  • Strong written and oral communication skills
  • Relationship building and strong interpersonal skills
  • Commitment to a career in law
  • Resilience
  • Research and analytical skills
  • Someone who takes ownership of self development
  • Teamwork and collaboration skills
  • Time management and organisation skills

Rachel S

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Oct 16, 2019
This may not be the right forum to ask and apologies if this sounds a silly question but is there value to adding to your LinkedIn job description or headline, 'incoming vacation scheme at X'? And supposing you had more than one but relatively different firms, would it come across as you taking a non-targeted approach to include?

• Haha
Reactions: Popal

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
This may not be the right forum to ask and apologies if this sounds a silly question but is there value to adding to your LinkedIn job description or headline, 'incoming vacation scheme at X'? And supposing you had more than one but relatively different firms, would it come across as you taking a non-targeted approach to include?
No such thing as a silly question in our forums :)

I think it’s entirely your choice if I’m honest. It will signify to people you have secured the schemes but I don’t know if it’ll have a value add as such. When I had two schemes last year I put both in my headline. Mine were relatively similar though so I guess it depends how different the firms are and whether you would want to draw attention to it? I’m probably not best placed to advise though as this is just my take, @Jessica Booker is probably much better informed than me :)

• 🏆
Reactions: Rachel S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I wouldn't necessarily put it in your header, but you can put in it your work experience section. I think "Upcoming Summer Intern" would be better in a heading than "Upcoming Summer Intern at Joe Bloggs LLP"....

You have to make a decision as to whether putting an entry into your profile could be more detrimental or not, but in most instances it wont be.

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Has anyone done a telephone interview with Dentons? I initially applied for a vacation scheme but they emailed saying they are full, and are progressing me to the TC route and next stage is a 1 hour telephone interview. Thanks

Hi!
Yes, I did give a telephone interview for Dentons last year, most of the questions are strength based questions and questions that aim to assess your motivations. There are also some questions assessing your commercial awareness and knowledge about the firm such as Why Dentons and Who are the Competitors?

Reactions: lexiak

E

Feb 5, 2020
Hi E, I managed to find it under the 'FAQ - Job Description of a Trainee Solicitor' section through clicking the 'Apply Now' tab, which you can access at https://trainee.bclplaw.com/apply-now.

I copied and pasted the relevant 'what we look for' bit below for your reference:

Qualifications and skills

We welcome applications from students and graduates of any discipline and from any university. We no longer have a minimum requirement for grades. Please note, to be eligible to apply for a training contract you must be in at least your penultimate year of a law degree or final year of a non-law degree.

We are also looking for you to demonstrate that you have the skills and behaviours which would expect from our trainees:
  • Hardworking and well-rounded individuals
  • Willingness to learn and be curious
  • Ability to demonstrate commercial awareness
  • Creative with problem solving
  • Ability to see the wider context of the work that we do for our clients
  • Intellectual ability
  • Strong written and oral communication skills
  • Relationship building and strong interpersonal skills
  • Commitment to a career in law
  • Resilience
  • Research and analytical skills
  • Someone who takes ownership of self development
  • Teamwork and collaboration skills
  • Time management and organisation skills
Lovely stuff!! Thank you!!:)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Quick question...

Final year student in non-law degree, have two vac schemes over summer that are apparently still taking place. I am a bit confused as to what to do concerning the GDL - do i apply for the GDL now? I have heard it doesn't matter and you can apply a few weeks before. I am asking because i know the firms have preferences to where i do the GDL - should i therefore wait to apply until after vac schemes (if they happen) to see if i get TC and therefore firm chooses where i go or apply anyway?

Thanks if anyone can help!
if you are offered a TC and if the firm typically sponsors its future trainees for the GDL then all of that will be arranged after the offer. I think firms reserve a number of spaces for their trainees per year and so you would need to apply to the GDL which the firm will guide you through. I would advise you apply asap though if you intend to self-fund if you do not convert the vac schemes. Might be worth ringing the law school/s to check how easy it would be to change the status of your app from being self-funded to sponsored just in case - I imagine this is something that commonly happens but perhaps best to check

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quick question...

Final year student in non-law degree, have two vac schemes over summer that are apparently still taking place. I am a bit confused as to what to do concerning the GDL - do i apply for the GDL now? I have heard it doesn't matter and you can apply a few weeks before. I am asking because i know the firms have preferences to where i do the GDL - should i therefore wait to apply until after vac schemes (if they happen) to see if i get TC and therefore firm chooses where i go or apply anyway?

Thanks if anyone can help!

it’s up to you. Firms won’t really have a preference for the GDL as it is a standardised course - it’s only the LPC they will have a real preference for.

the only reason they may want to you to to a specific academic institution is that they may get preferential fee rates (so pick up less of the bill). But even in these circumstances, they just tend to reimburse you what they would have paid, if you are committed to a course.

Considering this is the last year of the GDL, I think you will be alright. You’ll definitely have time between Your vacation scheme ending and the GDL starting to sign up - I know people who have signed up a week or so after the course has started! If you get a TC with a firm that uses a preferred supplier, they will probably have guaranteed places you can take up too.

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
I am finishing the GDL in a couple of months but have not yet managed to secure a TC. I am hesitant about starting the LPC in September because I don't have a TC, so I am looking to potentially paralegal/intern for the next academic year. Does anyone have any advice about applying for paralegal/intern positions, or has been in a similar situation to the one I am in?

If anyone has any advice I would be very grateful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.