Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Jade

Aug 30, 2018
I really hope not all firms decide to do this. I know CC's scheme is for second years so they don't have this concern, but if all firms move schemes to Winter or something similar that will leave final year international students like me, with visas expiring in September, in the absolutely horrible position of losing out on the opportunity to do a vac. :(

All student visas for final years don’t run out till jan 2021. Boris extended student visas when he came into power

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
All student visas for final years don’t run out till jan 2021. Boris extended student visas when he came into power

Could you link me to where you found that out? I thought it was only for those who visas expired between Jan-May of this year, not those whose visa expire after May.

Unless you think this is about the move to the post-study visa? If so, that only applies to people who will graduate in 2021 onwards.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
That will be so awful for those that don't get it. I suppose it makes more sense than re-interviewing everyone but still seems harsh.

A real double-edged sword I agree. I consider myself someone who would shine in an actual office environment so practically doing the VS's was a significant draw for me!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
A real double-edged sword I agree. I consider myself someone who would shine in an actual office environment so practically doing the VS's was a significant draw for me!
Yes I do agree. A virtual VS is far from ideal as well because as you say an actual office environment is what draws me to the VS's as well. As well as the fact that you want to see whether you fit in with the firm.

What HL are doing is obviously good for those who get it but seems really unfair for those who wanted to prove themselves on the scheme. I do hope they will offer a place/fast track them for a future scheme.

Why are firms not opting to postpone the schemes until Winter? And would it not make more sense do decide this in May where they have a better idea as to what is likely to happen?

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
Yes I do agree. A virtual VS is far from ideal as well because as you say an actual office environment is what draws me to the VS's as well. As well as the fact that you want to see whether you fit in with the firm.

What HL are doing is obviously good for those who get it but seems really unfair for those who wanted to prove themselves on the scheme. I do hope they will offer a place/fast track them for a future scheme.

Why are firms not opting to postpone the schemes until Winter? And would it not make more sense do decide this in May where they have a better idea as to what is likely to happen?

Seems a real shame to deny the other candidates an opportunity to get into the firm at all. It's hard enough to get a vac, to have it essentially revoked would be devastating.

I guess their assessment is that the situation won't have improved by May. It'll start putting pressure on other firms as well now, or else they risk losing candidates who had vac multiple vac schemes lined up.

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Oct 4, 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation of the situation is that not all firms can choose to postpone vacation schemes past the summer due to final year non-law students.

From what I understand, final year non-law students will need to take the GDL this September (assuming nothing changes) before taking the LPC in 2021 and starting the TC in 2022. Surely that means they will need to have secured a TC this summer for that to happen?

• ℹ️
Reactions: D681, Ar2016 and k01010

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my interpretation of the situation is that not all firms can choose to postpone vacation schemes past the summer due to final year non-law students.

From what I understand, final year non-law students will need to take the GDL this September (assuming nothing changes) before taking the LPC in 2021 and starting the TC in 2022. Surely that means they will need to have secured a TC this summer for that to happen?

Very valid point indeed. There are two intakes for the GDL so I wonder if firms might look to postpone to December and have those who are successful and non-law join a Jan intake of the GDL with the start date for a training contract being determined whether the firm as the accelerated LPC or not, technically people could join in Summer 2022 if it is the 6 month LPC or they may have to join in the Spring intake of 2023. This is all dependent on the firms themselves, their LPC course and the number of intakes available of course.

Firms will be aware of this though of course which is why i suspect so many are trying to find ways to host the vac schemes this summer by whichever means necessary

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.