Advice for In tray exercise

achramore

Sep 14, 2018
Hi,

I have an assessment centre for a vacation scheme for Pinsent Masons this week which includes an in tray exercise.

Has anyone does this before and has any advice for me?

I guess the most important is to prioritise the tasks according to their urgency and hierarchy (so do task given from partner before the task from a fellow trainee?)
Am I also expected to delegate tasks where appropriate?

Any advice would be very much appreciated:)

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi,

I have an assessment centre for a vacation scheme for Pinsent Masons this week which includes an in tray exercise.

I guess the most important is to prioritise the tasks according to their urgency and hierarchy (so do task given from partner before the task from a fellow trainee?)

Hi, I have an assessment centre invite for Pinsent Masons as well and I was just wondering how the assessment centre went for you and if there were any tips you had particularly regarding the SWOT analysis presentation we have to do. Any insight would be really appreciated, thank you:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

you don’t necessarily do a task from a partner before a trainee... (damn it old post... but still relevant)

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Ma'am @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I wanted to ask why nearly every firm assesses M&A and its intricacies in their case study or at other instances during their AC when they have other practise areas in their firm too.
Thank you.

no firm I worked for assessed M&A knowledge.

where firms are assessing it, it will be where M&A is a key part of their business and probably because as a trainee you will need to understand M&A work even if you are sat in something like Employment or Tax.

ath120

Star Member
Future Trainee
  • Jul 9, 2020
    you don’t necessarily do a task from a partner before a trainee... (damn it old post... but still relevant)
    Hi Jessica! I have an online in-tray to complete via Inside Sherpa and I was wondering whether you had any advice? Particularly, say there are 10 emails in the virtual inbox - would you suggest reading the contents of all of them before deciding which ones to respond to first? Or if there are any which look like a 'quick' / 'urgent' response could be made upon first reading, deal with it straight away? Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica! I have an online in-tray to complete via Inside Sherpa and I was wondering whether you had any advice? Particularly, say there are 10 emails in the virtual inbox - would you suggest reading the contents of all of them before deciding which ones to respond to first? Or if there are any which look like a 'quick' / 'urgent' response could be made upon first reading, deal with it straight away? Thanks in advance!

no set answer on this. You’ll need to look at who the emails are from and the subject line, any dates, whether certain emails are superseded by others, and as you have suggested anything that indicates they are urgent and then work out a plan of attack from there.

Reactions: ath120

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.