General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 15, 2018
Hope everyone's doing well!

Has anyone heard from Mayer Brown post-tests for Direct TC applications? I completed the tests in Feb but haven't heard back since. Unsure if I should reach out for an update...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Big request to everyone. If you are still studying at university, please could you PM me if your university is allowing you to not formally be assessed on all of your modules this year. I have been notified of at least one law faculty doing this (allowing them submit assessments for 3 out of their 6 modules), and I am keen to understand how common an approach it is. I am speaking to graduate recruiters about this to understand their concerns about this too.

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
case studies are not always M&A case studies!

I would personally not prepare for a case study exercise until I knew I had one and then I would do specific research/preparation for that task.

What I would do is read about the topic more though. I’d follow M&A deals, I would read resources (plenty on here) that explain how M&A transactions work.

Technically you shouldn’t be able to “prepare” for an individual case study until you are given preparation time on the assessment centre. Because they are all so different, you won’t find “step by step tutorials”, just guidance of things to think about - but that will be learnt by reading.

Trying to learn things parrot style is not great for preparing for a career in law, and also for a recruitment process. You’ve got to be able to demonstrate your thinking (not someone else’s) and typically with case studies it is actually about thinking on your feet.

What your preparation now should consist of is exercising your brain in a way that makes it used to digesting commercial information, not trying to preempt answer (which might actually change by the time you are assessed anyway).

Ahh wow thanks you’re absolutely right! I guess I’ve just been very nervous!

• 🤝
Reactions: NickMcK

NickMcK

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Does anyone have a good list of questions to expect at an end of vac-scheme interview? Specifically questions related to your time on the scheme.

I want to make sure I can prepare for these by recording relevant things throughout the two weeks.

I’ve found a few relevant questions from the TCLA VS guides, which are great!, and the lists of standard TC interview questions.

Any pointers would be really appreciated!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Does anyone have a good list of questions to expect at an end of vac-scheme interview? Specifically questions related to your time on the scheme.

I want to make sure I can prepare for these by recording relevant things throughout the two weeks.

I’ve found a few relevant questions from the TCLA VS guides, which are great!, and the lists of standard TC interview questions.

Any pointers would be really appreciated!

I really would recommend taking note of everything. If you have a conversation at the coffee area, head straight back to your desk and record who you spoke to and details of the conversation. Note down your approach and strategies to tasks and reflect - what did you feel you did well on and where could you improve. Note down what you have enjoyed, what you found challenging and always note what you are learning about the firm.

They will really want to hear that you have learned things so has anything in the experience reinforced that commercial law is for you? Make sure you note this in detail to be able to relay back to interviewers. They will want your 'why them' to be much more robust and personal so do make note of every interaction. they may ask you what you found exciting and challenging so make sure you are always noting down your vac scheme journey to answer these and to say how you overcame the challenges you note.

Your notes should be a diary of your scheme and the work you have done so you can look back and prepare your answers in the final interview in a much more tailored and personalised way.

NickMcK

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
I really would recommend taking note of everything. If you have a conversation at the coffee area, head straight back to your desk and record who you spoke to and details of the conversation. Note down your approach and strategies to tasks and reflect - what did you feel you did well on and where could you improve. Note down what you have enjoyed, what you found challenging and always note what you are learning about the firm.

They will really want to hear that you have learned things so has anything in the experience reinforced that commercial law is for you? Make sure you note this in detail to be able to relay back to interviewers. They will want your 'why them' to be much more robust and personal so do make note of every interaction. they may ask you what you found exciting and challenging so make sure you are always noting down your vac scheme journey to answer these and to say how you overcame the challenges you note.

Your notes should be a diary of your scheme and the work you have done so you can look back and prepare your answers in the final interview in a much more tailored and personalised way.

That's really helpful and definitely a more personal way of thinking about then I had in mind - thank you!

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Big request to everyone. If you are still studying at university, please could you PM me if your university is allowing you to not formally be assessed on all of your modules this year. I have been notified of at least one law faculty doing this (allowing them submit assessments for 3 out of their 6 modules), and I am keen to understand how common an approach it is. I am speaking to graduate recruiters about this to understand their concerns about this too.

Thank you for everyone’s responses so far.

I am gathering comments from Graduate Recruiters, but general theme so far is:

- if you have the option to not be assessed on up to 60 credits of your degree, sit those modules anyway!

- don’t rely on “no detriment” policies. Firms will be more interested in the grades you achieved in individual modules still, not the overall grade you were awarded because of no detriment policies.

- even if grades/modules are not going to be included in your formal transcript, it will be obvious that they are either missing or that there is no formal grade attached to them.

- You will be looked upon more favourably attempting all module assessments and getting a good grade, than only sitting 50-66% of your assessments and getting an exceptional grade.

- exceptions to the above are those who experience extenuating circumstances during the lockdown. By this, I don’t mean lockdown as such (as this applies to everyone), I mean further circumstances that apply more uniquely to you.

hopelesscaseofwhat

May 12, 2019
For those waiting on Baker McKenzie:

They just sent out an email explaining that they will get back to us on the 8th, not 4th, of May, but virtual assessment centres will be held on the same days as planned.

They do mention they have a high volume of applications so I am once again concerned that they put everybody who applied through to the VI stage and are starting their serious screening process now.

hopelesscaseofwhat

May 12, 2019

- if you have the option to not be assessed on up to 60 credits of your degree, sit those modules anyway!

- don’t rely on “no detriment” policies. Firms will be more interested in the grades you achieved in individual modules still, not the overall grade you were awarded because of no detriment policies.

- even if grades/modules are not going to be included in your formal transcript, it will be obvious that they are either missing or that there is no formal grade attached to them.

- You will be looked upon more favourably attempting all module assessments and getting a good grade, than only sitting 50-66% of your assessments and getting an exceptional grade.

- exceptions to the above are those who experience extenuating circumstances during the lockdown. By this, I don’t mean lockdown as such (as this applies to everyone), I mean further circumstances that apply more uniquely to you.

I hope this isn't a rude question and I'm not overstepping my bounds by asking, but howwould it make a difference to them if students are writing their exams later?

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020

With regards to the 'no detriment' policy, my university has done things quite differently from what you have mentioned. For us, each student will first receive a 'baseline' grade calculated from the average of our semester 1 modules and exams sat from the previous years.

Any module grade that is lower than the 'baseline' grade will automatically be replaced with the baseline mark. For example: If our baseline is a 68% and we receive a 55% in a module sat in the second semester, the module mark will show up as a 68% on our transcript.

As some of us won't really be able to benefit from the 'no detriment' policy because our grades in the second semester have already proven to be much higher than our baseline marks, we were wondering if it's worth explicitly informing the firms that our marks are indeed our 'raw' marks.

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
For those waiting on Baker McKenzie:

They just sent out an email explaining that they will get back to us on the 8th, not 4th, of May, but virtual assessment centres will be held on the same days as planned.

They do mention they have a high volume of applications so I am once again concerned that they put everybody who applied through to the VI stage and are starting their serious screening process now.

Logistically this would be very difficult as I’m guessing they must have had well over 1,000 applicants, so likely not all would have got through to VI!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I hope this isn't a rude question and I'm not overstepping my bounds by asking, but howwould it make a difference to them if students are writing their exams later?

not rude, but I am not sure what you mean by this.

This isn’t about sitting exams later, this is about you not being formally assessed in modules and people choosing to not sit/submit essays for modules, because it’s an option the university are giving students

Reactions: gg999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With regards to the 'no detriment' policy, my university has done things quite differently from what you have mentioned. For us, each student will first receive a 'baseline' grade calculated from the average of our semester 1 modules and exams sat from the previous years.

Any module grade that is lower than the 'baseline' grade will automatically be replaced with the baseline mark. For example: If our baseline is a 68% and we receive a 55% in a module sat in the second semester, the module mark will show up as a 68% on our transcript.

As some of us won't really be able to benefit from the 'no detriment' policy because our grades in the second semester have already proven to be much higher than our baseline marks, we were wondering if it's worth explicitly informing the firms that our marks are indeed our 'raw' marks.

Surely your “raw” marks would be what are on your transcript anyway, if they are higher than your baseline?

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
I’m surprised that you will receive your baseline grade as your ‘actual’ mark on your transcript. I would have thought that, as an incentive for people to still work hard, the grade you actually achieved would be the one shown to employees on transcripts.

So in that scenario, if a person with a 68% average achieved 40% in commercial law, the law firm would have no idea of their true grade?

Brilliant news for people who have achieved good grades up until now

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m surprised that you will receive your baseline grade as your ‘actual’ mark on your transcript. I would have thought that, as an incentive for people to still work hard, the grade you actually achieved would be the one shown to employees on transcripts.

So in that scenario, if a person with a 68% average achieved 40% in commercial law, the law firm would have no idea of their true grade?

completely this - most universities from the looks of it are allowing candidates to submit assessments for all modules so to improve their existing position.

The baseline grade is a “no detriment” policy - it means anyone won’t score below the grade they achieved last year/last semester.

Ifmhouse4

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2020
completely this - most universities from the looks of it are allowing candidates to submit assessments for all modules so to improve their existing position.

The baseline grade is a “no detriment” policy - it means anyone won’t score below the grade they achieved last year/last semester.

Hi Jessica,

My university hasn't changed too much. We are still completing our exams, but we have 24 hours to submit the assessment. In terms of the 'no detriment policy', they allow for our worst 30 credits of final year to be discounted in terms of working out our overall grade.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Oct 30, 2019

I completely understand as someone who has worked hard in other years to get good grades that this might seem unfair but I just think in the current circumstances doing it differently is just not realistic. Especially combined with the fact that lots of teaching has been missed this year due to strikes. The uni that is doing this has complete 100% exams for the year held in summer and have no formal work submitted throughout the year - making it pretty impossible for them to demand 100% of the work at this time. It is concerning though as a student, when every single uni is doing different things to be able to work out whether the policy your uni is taking is going to disadvantage you in the long run

Reactions: hopelesscaseofwhat

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Surely your “raw” marks would be what are on your transcript anyway, if they are higher than your baseline?

We might be paranoid but some of us fear how law firms might perceive the value our grades if they find out about this policy so I guess we just want the opportunity to clarify that our marks on the transcript are NOT our baseline marks?

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020

From the correspondence with my course director, that appears to be the case. (The condition being the individual must at least pass the module for the policy to apply). A few of us strongly disagree with this policy for a whole number of reasons but most people love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.