Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Fieldfisher have cancelled their final TC AC (due to take place in March moved to April now cancelled all together). Super Frustrating as I was actually invited to the feb AC following my phone interview but an error on their end meant I got moved the the March one... it’s a strange time and a TC is not the be all and end all but f r u a t r a t I n g as seems a loss to cancel all together :(

I had a VS with Fieldfisher for this summer, they've postponed it until next year and didn't even consider anyone on the scheme for a training contract. We were literally excluded from the TC consideration because we had a VS. They gave out their TC offers in early March supposedly so it's strange that they even moved your AC to April when all the spots were filled but maybe they were waiting to see if someone rejected them and they would fill those spots from your AC and then no one rejected the offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I had a VS with Fieldfisher for this summer, they've postponed it until next year and didn't even consider anyone on the scheme for a training contract. We were literally excluded from the TC consideration because we had a VS. They gave out their TC offers in early March supposedly so it's strange that they even moved your AC to April when all the spots were filled but maybe they were waiting to see if someone rejected them and they would fill those spots from your AC and then no one rejected the offer?

Possibly. They may also be deferring trainees or reducing intake sizes though, or deciding to just take a step back and not fill the additional numbers right now.

It is an exceptionally odd time for legal recruiters as not only are they having to deal with all this, but they are having to juggle this with how the SQE will be implemented. It means many are choosing to just wait it out a bit as the SQE means they may not need to have such a massive time lag from offering someone to them starting.

Last edited:

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
HSF Update - summer vacation schemes have been cancelled (incl. the postponed spring scheme) and instead, there will be a TC interview and followed by a 4-day virtual scheme for those offered a training contract

Unfortunate that they are breaking from other similar firms by not offering a virtual VS.

Best of luck to those taking it!

Thanks! Any tips?

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    I saw on the Student Room that they had offered those doing non-law places on the winter scheme instead...

Slightly strange decision to only offer the virtual scheme to those that get a TC - surely the opportunity to have more 'data points' or interactions with candidates before offering them TC's would be more beneficial?

Shahil

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2018
    I saw on the Student Room that they had offered those doing non-law places on the winter scheme instead...

Slightly strange decision to only offer the virtual scheme to those that get a TC - surely the opportunity to have more 'data points' or interactions with candidates before offering them TC's would be more beneficial?

If you are talking about HSF, I am a non-law student but I did not receive a place on the winter scheme instead, only a TC interview.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: TChopeful2021

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    If you are talking about HSF, I am a non-law student but I did not receive a place on the winter scheme instead, only a TC interview.

Oh fair - I was just passing on what i saw on there but they were definitely talking about HSF - maybe they are taking a more personalised approach, a bit like what HL did...
    Congrats on the interview!

Reactions: Shahil

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Shahil

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2018
    Has any indication been given as to how you might be assessed at the TC interview for HSF?

They just said it will be around an hour long and will consist of "two scenario assessments". That sounds like the interview they do in their AC where a partner talks you through a recent problem they solved for a client and ask how you would go about it, although I'm not sure - it could also be a case study? They are setting up live chat sessions to ask questions where more will hopefully be clarified.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    For firms that are offering vacation schemers places on their winter schemes instead, does anyone know if the applicants will still be assessed for a 2022 TC or will it be 2023 instead?
    it might depend on whether firms are hiring as many people for each intake as usual and also on how soon you, as the candidate, are able to start the training contract.

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    HSF Update - summer vacation schemes have been cancelled (incl. the postponed spring scheme) and instead, there will be a TC interview and followed by a 4-day virtual scheme for those offered a training contract

Just got this email also and I am not sure how I feel. The process for the TC interview seems very similar to what we were already assessed on for the vac scheme assessment centre.

Seems really odd to be offering a scheme to those once they have secured a TC offer. Surely it makes sense to allow everyone to take part in the 4 day virtual scheme before making the massive commitment/decision of offering someone a training contract.

My first official experience with the firm was at the AC and I don't feel like I got the most out of the day as it was a bit disorganised. I personally would of liked to take part in the virtual scheme to interact with a wider range of people from the firm, other candidates and to perhaps attempt some trainee tasks before I commit to accepting a TC. I feel this way in particular as I am currently a non-law student that has had very limited experience with commercial law firms.

I know some people will disagree and be happy enough to accept a TC anywhere given how competitive they are to obtain. However, I want to make sure I am making the right decision as 2 years is a long time to be somewhere you are not entirely happy with.

Would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts. I feel Hogan Lovells dealt with the situation in an exemplary manner and wish other firms followed suit.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.