Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
By this point, it must be quite clear that no law firm will run traditional vac schemes this summer, right? So it must be one of the following options:

1. Virtual vac scheme.
2. TC AC and maybe a virtual scheme after (like HSF)
3. Postpone scheme until autumn/ winter.
4. Direct TC offers for some/ all vac scheme attendees.
5. Cancel VS altogether and restart next recruitment cycle.

Am I missing out on any options?

Reactions: amb98

amb98

Distinguished Member
Feb 26, 2020
By this point, it must be quite clear that no law firm will run traditional vac schemes this summer, right? So it must be one of the following options:

1. Virtual vac scheme.

I think some schemes could still take place maybe late summer/end of August.

Flk10

Star Member
Jan 18, 2020
I think some schemes could still take place maybe late summer/end of August.
I think there’s absolutely no chance of any physical vacation schemes or internships taking place in the foreseeable future unfortunately.

A large part of a VS is the presentations and networking which requires lots of people to be in a room together- that won’t be happening anytime soon.

I think the whole set up of offices will need to change as well, and a lot of staff will be working from home for at least part of the week in order to minimise the number of people using public transport and then coming into the office. I don’t think firms will be rushing to have 30 or 40 VS students on their premises at the moment.

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I think there’s absolutely no chance of any physical vacation schemes or internships taking place in the foreseeable future unfortunately.

A large part of a VS is the presentations and networking which requires lots of people to be in a room together- that won’t be happening anytime soon.

I think the whole set up of offices will need to change as well, and a lot of staff will be working from home for at least part of the week in order to minimise the number of people using public transport and then coming into the office. I don’t think firms will be rushing to have 30 or 40 VS students on their premises at the moment.

I agree.

I was scheduled for a summer vac scheme with a more niche firm that only does two schemes with 6 people on each. It was to happen in late July and is now altogether cancelled despite the small number of vac schemers.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr paralegal

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
If you don’t mind me asking, what alternative did they provide you with?

Nothing yet, I was informed that they are considering alternative forms of assessment. My guess is they are still hoping that maybe some form of personal, face-to-face one day assessment will be viable later this summer, which I totally understand and appreciate.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
If you don’t mind me asking, what alternative did they provide you with?

I was in a similar position with Forsters - smaller intake, 2 schemes of 6/7 people. They emailed to say they’re not running their VS but as I would have Been offered a place had it not been cancelled, they’ve invited me to an interview for direct TC, due to take place ‘at the end of summer’ but no more detail than that as of yet.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

1. Virtual vac scheme.

Some firms are still holding out to run schemes in late August and September.

Whether that actually happens or not is another matter

Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and Helena

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Vacation schemes are not about networking or presentations really. They are about working in an office - all that other stuff is just there to make the experience better.

if employees are working remotely on occasional days, then so can interns. Currently I know some firms who are hoping to run schemes in the late summer/before unis go back, particularly September which is when work is expected to start to pick up (always does at that time of year)

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Some firms are still holding out to run schemes in late August and September.

Whether that actually happens or not is another matter

I know that vac schemes are not the number one priority for firms right now, but it does feel stressful to have a VS with a firm that has still not said anything about their updated plans. Gmail should reward me for my loyalty to the service given how many times I have refreshed my e-mail these past few weeks! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know that vac schemes are not the number one priority for firms right now, but it does feel stressful to have a VS with a firm that has still not said anything about their updated plans. Gmail should reward me for my loyalty to the service given how many times I have refreshed my e-mail these past few weeks! :D

:D

Its stressful for the recruiters too (if that helps!). They want to go ahead but need to understand government policy first. I suspect a lot will start to get in contact soon, especially if there is some form of announcement from the government on Sunday.

It’s not just the internships too. It’s pretty much confirmed by universities that there will be no careers fairs this Autumn, so firms are worried that if they did just wait until the next academic year, attracting applicants might be even trickier where they can’t engage with students in person.

amusicalfridge

May 7, 2020
Just got an email from DLA Piper saying that the UK/Ireland internship (I'm Irish and was due to work in their new Dublin office) has been turned to a one-week paid virtual experience. Should be interesting but think I might end up actually losing income due to having to remove myself from the Irish emergency social welfare payment for COVID-19!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen

Zoë Stainton

Future Trainee
May 31, 2019
I also just got an email saying the VS at DLA Piper will be one week virtual experience. I am interested in knowing what it will be like. Will it involve actual work? or more presentations and Q&As?
They also said we will be able to visit the office later on in the year.
Will they still be recruiting us for TC 2022?

amusicalfridge

May 7, 2020
I was told that all interns in the Dublin office could almost certainly expect to get a TC offer, but that was a unique circumstance as this is the first year that trainees are being taken on in that office. Am curious to see whether that's still the case following this week-long thing.

I also wonder whether this programme will be run in coordination with the London office (in lieu of the week we were meant to spend in that office) or the specific office in which you were to spend the bulk of your internship; ie Dublin for me.

Finally, I find the nomenclature 'vacation schemes' interesting - in Ireland they're referred to exclusively as internships!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Aurochschiette

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just got an email from DLA Piper saying that the UK/Ireland internship (I'm Irish and was due to work in their new Dublin office) has been turned to a one-week paid virtual experience. Should be interesting but think I might end up actually losing income due to having to remove myself from the Irish emergency social welfare payment for COVID-19!

If it’s going to impact you financially, you may want to see if there is anything they can do in regards to this (eg run the scheme later)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.