Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Herbert Smith Freehills Vacation Scheme, Spring 2018

How did you find the Herbert Smith Freehills vacation scheme?

It was great - all I expected and more!

Schedule: Talks every morning and evening, and work in the middle with the occasional lunch event. We could leave for home right after the talks (about 5:30)

People: Friendly, approachable, capable. Everyone seemed deserving of a place on the vacation scheme and a training contract.

Workload: Varied by department but generally nothing too strenuous. There were days when I had nothing much to do and had to ask for work.

Socials: Dim sum making!! Other than that, there was a quiz night and some drinks nights.

What were the vacation scheme assessments like at Herbert Smith Freehills?

Just a training contract interview on the final day.

What advice would you give to future vacation schemers attending the Herbert Smith Freehills vacation scheme?

Think through their application form and brush up on commercial awareness, but otherwise don't stress too much about it!

On average, what time did you arrive and leave each day?

8:30-5:30

How much were you paid for the Herbert Smith Freehills vacation scheme?

£400 a week.

How would you rate your overall vacation scheme experience?

5/5

Chido

Sep 3, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

Have you got any tips on applying to HSF’s vacation scheme please?
    Or have you got any sample answers please? Going to their open day in a few weeks.

Thank you,
    Chido

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

Have you got any tips on applying to HSF’s vacation scheme please?
    Or have you got any sample answers please? Going to their open day in a few weeks.

Thank you,
    Chido

Hey Chido,

This wasn't one of my vacation schemes I'm afraid. It was posted on behalf of an applicant.

If you want to share any questions you are struggling with though, let me know and I can share some thoughts.

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hey Chido,

This wasn't one of my vacation schemes I'm afraid. It was posted on behalf of an applicant.

If you want to share any questions you are struggling with though, let me know and I can share some thoughts.

Hi Jaysen,

I'd like to jump in on this and get your advice on how to answer:

Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
    (Up to 300 words)

What I'm most stuck on is how to fill 300 words appropriately with 1) the topic and 2) my interest. How would you go about answering this?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Jaysen,

I'd like to jump in on this and get your advice on how to answer:

Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
    (Up to 300 words)

What I'm most stuck on is how to fill 300 words appropriately with 1) the topic and 2) my interest. How would you go about answering this?

Thanks!

I like this question. They just want to see what you are interested in and why that topic interests you. No need to choose something that sounds impressive or is relevant to law. Instead, you can use it as an opportunity to talk passionately about a topic that you genuinely like.

Tips for the process:
    1. Pick a topic that interests you.
    2. Read through different sources so you can get a few different perspectives on the topic.
    3. Try to form an opinion on the topic. To make your answer strong, lead with your opinion rather than simply describing the topic. (Alternatively, give a brief description and then go into an evaluation.)
    4. Your structure doesn't have to be rigid but make sure you cover why it interests you. You can merge these two points together -- leading with why the topic interests you and introducing the topic in the process.
    5. Use evidence to back up your points where relevant.
    6. Make sure you are specific. This is where many students fall down. Try not to say: "The regulation of tech companies interests me because it has big consequences for their businesses." What are the consequences? Why does that interest you?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.