Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ma'am although I am open to multiple areas- I was just starting out to choose which firm is right for me so I narrowed it down to what work I would enjoy the most- Was my approach wrong- if yes then where- Please help!

I think you need to read up more on how a lawyer would be involved in such matters and whether that is what would really interest you. From your posts so far, my gut reaction is that either consultancy or investment industries might be more what you are looking for.

Reactions: gg999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ma'am I have tried looking up articles on the differences of work between these 3 professions- but haven't found anything good yet. Do you by any chance have it?

There will be plenty of sites to look at.

Targetjobs will have a lot of information on all three sectors.

• ℹ️
Reactions: gg999 and futuretraineesolicitor

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Basically I want to be involved in a business at a nascent stage

Fair enough but remember that this will not always be the case, even for firms with a strong VC practice. More often than not, firms will be retained by those startups from the early funding stages to the later investment rounds to even IPO as there will be a strong client-firm relationship and a good understanding of the client’s business. This is also the goal for law firms, to retain clients for future projects and increase business.

If you are narrowing down your interests to businesses at their early stages then, as Jessica has suggested, other options are available. But if these are just initial thoughts and aren’t too fussed about the stage of the client you’re working with then law could still be a shout. But, by the sounds of it, you have a pretty detailed idea about what you’re looking for! I would advise to just read more about law firms as a business.

I’d just be very careful when expressing these interests on an application or during interviews.

Last edited:

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Just out of interest, what % of candidates invited AC's are made TC offers on average?

Also... how long does it normally take to hear back after an AC?

Thanks!

Knowing that information is pretty pointless and useless in my opinion and is something you shouldn't get too caught up on. If you are what the firm is looking for and meet their criteria, they will make you an offer. They wouldn't offer you an AC if there wasn't a potential space for you at the firm.

Some firms can you let you know the day after or even a few hours after the AC like HSF. Other firms can take up to a week or two. It takes time to make these decisions as the partners, associates and gred rec that have interviewed you need to consult with each other before a final decision is made. Sometimes partners/associates get tied up or it could be a weekend coming up which could delay a formal decision being made.

It will probably be longer than usual at the moment given the current circumstances. If it has been a couple of weeks, it will probably best to send an email to grad rec asking for an update. As Jessica has already mentioned, some grad rec teams may currently be on Furlough- which could impact a decision being made/communicated back to you.

Last edited:

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Hi Jessica, I hope you are doing well.

I have a question about the culture of law firms. During an interview, the interviewer told me that the trainees often voluntarily stay late or share the workload if they see their co-workers struggling because they believe in going the extra mile to help each other. That really resonated with me I was instantly more attracted to the firm, but come to think of it, everyone uses the culture of their firm as a selling point and it feels like there are no law firms out there with a bad culture. I have heard some anecdotes about different law firms but their credibility can be still be questioned.

Given your extensive interaction with different law firms/people from different firms, is there a stark contrast between the working culture of commercial law firms and have you personally witnessed a firm with an extremely positive or toxic culture? I'm less concerned about the workload but more about how people at the firm treat and support each other when the workload gets intense.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just out of interest, what % of candidates invited AC's are made TC offers on average?

Also... how long does it normally take to hear back after an AC?

Thanks!

A recruiter would hope that they only have to invite somewhere between 2 to 3.5 candidates per “offer” or per vacancy.

But that’s just what they are aiming for. If you only had 1 vacancy and needed to see 12+ candidates (because none of them were good enough), you would.

Can be anywhere between an hour and six months to hear back though. Typically most people will hear back within a week, although currently things are very abnormal and so you could have to wait to hear back on a much longer timescale due to current circumstances.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hey Jessica,

If a TC prompt asks: "Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work.", does that mean I cannot use any examples of activities done as part of my university experience?

For example I organised an event on campus or was part of an intercollegiate team; or participated in a particular event through a professor.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey Jessica,

If a TC prompt asks: "Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work.", does that mean I cannot use any examples of activities done as part of my university experience?

For example I organised an event on campus or was part of an intercollegiate team; or participated in a particular event through a professor.

Thanks.

I suspect there is another section/question for this the intercollegiate activity.

it depends what the event on campus was. If it was academic then probably not suited, if it wasn’t then maybe more so.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
I suspect there is another section/question for this the intercollegiate activity.

it depends what the event on campus was. If it was academic then probably not suited, if it wasn’t then maybe more so.

The other question asks for awards, scholarships, and positions of responsibility.

And there is a 300 word cover letter which would be wasted if I try to cover the above in it.

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
it’s not going to take anything away from your CV/application so if you have the time to do it, I’d recommend it.

How a firm views it will be dependent on how it fits into your application and how you detail it.

and yes, you should mention the blog too. You are downplaying it already though - any good blog will develop a range of skills, the most relevant drafting skills.

Thanks for the reassurance! I was worried the blog may not be viewed well because it has nothing to do with academics and it’s more about what I’m interested outside of that. Do I need to mention the site etc or can I just state that I have my own blog page?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the reassurance! I was worried the blog may not be viewed well because it has nothing to do with academics and it’s more about what I’m interested outside of that. Do I need to mention the site etc or can I just state that I have my own blog page?

An academic blog isn’t going to be particularly relevant to a work place either though. It’s not about “relevancy” in terms of topic, it’s relevancy in terms of the skills it will bring to you.

Most people tend to put either the blog name or a link in. Most copies of an application the link generally doesn’t work (due to the method of the application being read) - but it makes sense to try and name it so if the person reviewing your application/interviewing you wants to do a quick google search of it.

Cox

Standard Member
Jun 5, 2019
How difficult is it to secure a direct Training Contract when applying from your home country? I currently do not live in UK though I have previously completed both the GDL and LPC with Distinction.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How difficult is it to secure a direct Training Contract when applying from your home country? I currently do not live in UK though I have previously completed both the GDL and LPC with Distinction.

will be easier now work permits will become a lot easier to obtain at the end of the year.

would have been near impossible before hand.

doesn’t mean it won’t be straight forward though. First you have the obstacles of interviews - many firms will want to see you in person (although Covid-19 is changing this)

There will also be a big question as to what you will do with your time out, and whether it would make sense to qualify in your home country during that time (and then come over as a qualified lawyer)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see. My problem is a lot of my hobbies and things I have done have been in one manner or another related to my university.

I’ll have to figure it out. Thanks.

A hobby or interest is something where there is no commitment and where no one else is dependent on you (eg photography, skiing, cooking).

It doesn’t matter if you do this in the university environment or not, it is just that other people are not relying on you to do it.

Reactions: FutureCity

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.