General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
My apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure which one of these questions I could speak about the e-commerce business I started; would it fall under;

Please provide details of any noteworthy achievements e.g. awards, prizes, positions of responsibility, particular exam marks and your position in your cohort?

or

Use this section to provide details of your non-academic interests.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure which one of these questions I could speak about the e-commerce business I started; would it fall under;

Please provide details of any noteworthy achievements e.g. awards, prizes, positions of responsibility, particular exam marks and your position in your cohort?

or

to me, that should be in your work experience.

Reactions: S87 and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

or

Yeah I would put that in your work experience. If there's a particular achievement you have associated with your e-commerce business or a particular challenge you faced which you overcame, you could then mention that specific point in the first question I'd say but otherwise put it in your work experience as @Jessica Booker says

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    Yeah I would put that in your work experience. If there's a particular achievement you have associated with your e-commerce business or a particular challenge you faced which you overcame, you could then mention that specific point in the first question I'd say but otherwise put it in your work experience as @Jessica Booker says

Yes I essentially wanted to speak about how it was a huge achievement, and I certainly had challenges to get the success I did, so I felt it would be nice to go into more detail outside of work experience. Hoping talking about this in the first question will be fine, as the question seems very specific.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018

or

So what I would do is to put your interest in e-commerce among your non-academic interest. For example, I said that I am interested in music..I am an avid music collector and this has allowed me to create a group where we exchange material across different countries. Plus, from a simple passion I have transformed it into a "legal passion" and moved to study the wider implication of the music and pop industry with copyright and IPO implications and this has allowed me to set-up a business plan for a company through the use of music platforms and social media. Plus, in the section why this firm I have mentioned my passion and how this pushed me to take a work experience where I compared the National legislation on copyright against the one in the US. Finally, in my work section I explained about my business.

Basically, I created a narrative for the recruiter so it is also easier to understand why that firm.

This is my 2 cent and might be wrong so take it with a pinch of salt!

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    So what I would do is to put your interest in e-commerce among your non-academic interest. For example, I said that I am interested in music..I am an avid music collector and this has allowed me to create a group where we exchange material across different countries. Plus, from a simple passion I have transformed it into a "legal passion" and moved to study the wider implication of the music and pop industry with copyright and IPO implications and this has allowed me to set-up a business plan for a company through the use of music platforms and social media. Plus, in the section why this firm I have mentioned my passion and how this pushed me to take a work experience where I compared the National legislation on copyright against the one in the US. Finally, in my work section I explained about my business.

Basically, I created a narrative for the recruiter so it is also easier to understand why that firm.

This is my 2 cent and might be wrong so take it with a pinch of salt!

This is so great thank you so much!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Yes I essentially wanted to speak about how it was a huge achievement, and I certainly had challenges to get the success I did, so I felt it would be nice to go into more detail outside of work experience. Hoping talking about this in the first question will be fine, as the question seems very specific.
    In that case, I would mention one of those challenges you overcame and talk about that in the question using the STAR/CAR method

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Your interests in no way have to be connected to law. In fact, there’s probably a lot more demand for them to be completely unconnected

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d personally avoid using STAR/CAR/CARL I’m this type of question - you won’t have the word count for it. If you are going to add in your e commerce business to this section, it can literally be as short as: For the last 2 years, I have run an e-commerce business selling fashion goods. The business turns over £1,000 profit per annum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.