Retrospective Funding

D681

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2019
Hi all, does anyone know if firms reimburse when you have done the LLM LPC using the postgraduate loan and then paid the remainder yourself. If so, how does this work?

thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, does anyone know if firms reimburse when you have done the LLM LPC using the postgraduate loan and then paid the remainder yourself. If so, how does this work?

thanks

yes - you still have to pay that loan back. They may not pay for the full LLM though - they are only likely to pay the same amount they pay for their LPC.

You’d just need to show proof of purchase/proof you are studying.

Reactions: D681

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019

thanks

I did this and I just had to send my firm evidence of the fees I paid (an invoice stating ‘paid’) and they just transferred the funds to my bank account.
They didn’t ask for details of how I funded it and it’s my responsibility to repay the loan etc.

D681

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2019
I did this and I just had to send my firm evidence of the fees I paid (an invoice stating ‘paid’) and they just transferred the funds to my bank account.
They didn’t ask for details of how I funded it and it’s my responsibility to repay the loan etc.

Thank you. Just to clarify, did they pay the full amount inclusive of the LLM or just the LPC element?

Am I right in believing that is down to you how you’d like to pay it back I.e. in instalments or a lump sum?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. Just to clarify, did they pay the full amount inclusive of the LLM or just the LPC element?

Am I right in believing that is down to you how you’d like to pay it back I.e. in instalments or a lump sum?

this will depend on the individual firm’s policy towards funding.

If you self fund, sometimes you pay a higher amount for an LPC compared to what the firm would pay anyway. Some firms will only pay fees up to the value of what they would pay, irrespective of whether it is an LPC or a combined LLM.

D681

Standard Member
Nov 9, 2019
this will depend on the individual firm’s policy towards funding.

If you self fund, sometimes you pay a higher amount for an LPC compared to what the firm would pay anyway. Some firms will only pay fees up to the value of what they would pay, irrespective of whether it is an LPC or a combined LLM.

Thanks Jessica, this makes sense!

Paralegal178

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
May 27, 2019

As I did it at Ulaw, the LLM didn’t cost any extra. My firm reimbursed the whole sum that I paid but as Jessica says, I’m sure it varies from firm to firm!

Ahi88

Future Trainee
  • Feb 29, 2020
    Such a useful thread, just as I was considering this topic myself!

I have been offered a TC by my firm and have already completed the LPC two years ago. My firm has not advertised that they retrospectively reimburse LPC fees but I really want to approach HR asking about this possibility. I know that my current cohort mainly consists of trainees who did not do the LPC and they will be all paid grants on top of their fees.

How would you suggest approaching this topic without sounding too 'greedy' since I appreciate the topic is quite a difficult one to hit head on!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Such a useful thread, just as I was considering this topic myself!

I have been offered a TC by my firm and have already completed the LPC two years ago. My firm has not advertised that they retrospectively reimburse LPC fees but I really want to approach HR asking about this possibility. I know that my current cohort mainly consists of trainees who did not do the LPC and they will be all paid grants on top of their fees.

How would you suggest approaching this topic without sounding too 'greedy' since I appreciate the topic is quite a difficult one to hit head on!

Have you received an offer letter from the firm? Such details are usually outlined in the offer letter.

They may reimburse yourself fees, but are much less likely to pay you a retrospective grant.

Ahi88

Future Trainee
  • Feb 29, 2020
    Have you received an offer letter from the firm? Such details are usually outlined in the offer letter.

They may reimburse yourself fees, but are much less likely to pay you a retrospective grant.

Yes, I have received an offer letter but there are no details with regard to paying LPC fees. The offer letter only states that my PSC fees will be paid.

Is it therefore safe to assume that since the letter omits anything to do retrospective payments that this would not be a possibility?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, I have received an offer letter but there are no details with regard to paying LPC fees. The offer letter only states that my PSC fees will be paid.

Is it therefore safe to assume that since the letter omits anything to do retrospective payments that this would not be a possibility?

You can have a conversation with them about it - but just expect their answer to be no. If they were to offer it to you, it’s likely they would have to offer it to everyone, including current trainees, so there could be a significant cost to them.

There is no harm in asking (as politely and as delicately as you can) though.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    You can have a conversation with them about it - but just expect their answer to be no. If they were to offer it to you, it’s likely they would have to offer it to everyone, including current trainees, so there could be a significant cost to them.

There is no harm in asking (as politely and as delicately as you can) though.
    what if I am currently doing my LPC, and I have received an offer would that make a difference? thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    what if I am currently doing my LPC, and I have received an offer would that make a difference? thanks!
    The offer letter would include any terms, including details of whether they would reimburse LPC fees or not. If there is no detail about this, then the assumption is that no payments will be made. If you think that the firm is reimbursing your LPC fees, then you should contact them and discuss it with them.

Reactions: GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    The offer letter would include any terms, including details of whether they would reimburse LPC fees or not. If there is no detail about this, then the assumption is that no payments will be made. If you think that the firm is reimbursing your LPC fees, then you should contact them and discuss it with them.
    Thank you Jess

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.