Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
harbottle and lewis' application cycle ends 31 May (doesnt state a time) - does this mean i have until 23:59 on 31 May to submit or do I have until midnight tomorrow?

23.59 on 31st.

really don’t leave it that late though... no reason to try and not submit it tomorrow anyway

Reactions: Miki3999

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
harbottle and lewis' application cycle ends 31 May (doesnt state a time) - does this mean i have until 23:59 on 31 May to submit or do I have until midnight tomorrow?
Probably 23:59 on 31st but try to avoid such tight deadline going forwards. Apps are best sent when you have had time to reflect and proof

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Out of curiosity, how many of you on TCLA has been applying for more than 2 application cycles? I'm feeling rather defeated lately. Feels like I'm not getting anywhere closer to landing a TC.

I've been applying for Vac Schemes/TC's since my second year of Uni, it has now been almost two years since I graduated so that should answer your question. However I took a year off from applying(2019) and just got more legal experience working in different firms, started a business etc. I decided to use last year to acquire skills that could really help me stand out in applications. I figured there was a reason that I kept being unsuccessful when I applied during uni, and I needed to make changes. Now for this application cycle so far I had only submitted an application for Baker McKenzie, where I actually got to the video interview. It was disheartening not to make it further, but after reflecting I realised that before this I had never once made it past an application stage so this meant that I must have made a lot of progress seeing as that was the only one I submitted so far. Now I've submitted a total of 4 applications and I plan to do 2 more. I focused on firms I really wanted to work at and I'm just crossing my fingers for good news this year! My advice is honestly to just not focus on everyone around you and just focus on yourself, it is your life at the end of the day and comparing yourself to others won't do any good!

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Shaz, W, csyn and 18 others

Zoo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Apr 21, 2019
Out of curiosity, how many of you on TCLA has been applying for more than 2 application cycles? I'm feeling rather defeated lately. Feels like I'm not getting anywhere closer to landing a TC.

This is my third cycle. I’m a non-law grad and I have been applying since my third year of university. I definitely understand feeling defeated. It comes in waves for me. Sometimes I feel really motivated and optimistic about my TC chances, other times I feel like it isn’t going to happen. This is especially because this cycle has been my most successful by far- I managed to secure two vacation schemes whereas in my first two cycles, I only got one assessment centre each cycle. However, because of the lockdown, the schemes have been disrupted a lot. I understand that the impact of the lockdown and pandemic is far greater than my vacation schemes but it has been difficult to deal with career-wise. It feels like just as I’m doing well after 3 years, someone has pulled the rug out from under me.

However, when I feel down about my TC chances or VS disruptions, I focus on what I can control. That may be by improving my commercial awareness by attending webinars or doing online courses, etc. I also take some time away from applications/ law by reading a book, baking, spending time with family- anything to get my mind off things. Taking a break also helps me to remember that there is more in my life than just getting a TC.

Also, there is no age by which you need to qualify. The average qualification age is 29 but I did the GDL with people who were in their 30s and did not have a TC. Ultimately your goals are you own and you will achieve them when it’s your time- it doesn’t matter what other people are doing.

Please be kind to yourself too, it’s something that I’m actively working on :)

• 🤝
  • 🏆
Reactions: Shaz, W, Asmee DC and 16 others

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I’ve loved reading through everyone’s motivational posts and wish I could bottle up this positivity!

I definitely struggled at times with the process. I distinctly remember one Friday in February, I had the Watson Glaser to do for Freshfields and it was the day after my Linklaters AC. Everyone on my AC had gotten a positive result and a phone call in the morning and no call or email came for me. I knew it must be bad news and I was so upset. At the same time I was still waiting on A&O and it had been around two weeks of continuous anxiety about it. Everything felt like it was too much and I was so overwhelmed. I cried to my mentor at Rare and think I may have even called @Jaysen that day in panic too. That afternoon it felt almost impossible to get a TC, I felt there was something wrong with me and that perhaps this simply wasn’t meant to be for me.
However, fast forward around 3-4 weeks and I had my AC with Freshfields and got a call at 11am the very next day offering me my TC. This time I (embarrassingly) cried with pure joy and elation- @Jaysen can testify to this too as he was the third person I rang to tell and the tears were still in full force.

the moral of this story is not that I’m a bit of a crier, but that one of my darkest days and one of the best days of my life were a few mere weeks apart. I got my TC at a time where I’d half resigned myself to thinking it just wasn’t meant to be for me.
Things really can turn around in the blink of an eye so don’t give up, keep pushing, and know your time will come.

Last edited:

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
I’ve loved reading through everyone’s motivational posts and wish I could bottle up this positivity!

I definitely struggled at times with the process. I distinctly remember one Friday in February, I had the Watson Glaser to do for Freshfields and it was the day after my Linklaters AC. Everyone on my AC had gotten a positive result and a phone call in the morning and no call or email came for me. I knew it must be bad news and I was so upset. At the same time I was still waiting on A&O and it had been around two weeks of continuous anxiety about it. Everything felt like it was too much and I was so overwhelmed. I cried to my mentor at Rare and think I may have even called @Jaysen that day in panic too. That afternoon it felt almost impossible to get a TC, I felt there was something wrong with me and that perhaps this simply wasn’t meant to be for me.
However, fast forward around 3-4 weeks and I had my AC with Freshfields and got a call at 11am the very next day offering me my TC. This time I (embarrassingly) cried with pure joy and elation- @Jaysen can testify to this too as he was the third person I rang to tell and the tears were still in full force.

the moral of this story is not that I’m a bit of a crier, but that one of my darkest days and one of the best days of my life were a few mere weeks apart. I got my TC at a time where I’d half resigned myself to thinking it just wasn’t meant to be for me.
Things really can turn around in the blink of an eye so don’t give up, keep pushing, and know your time will come.

You amazing lady! Just what we needed I think!

So very proud of you Alice!

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Has anyone received an acceptance/rejection mail from Pinsent Masons yet? I filled the application more than 2 weeks ago but haven't received anything other than a mail informing that they've received my application.
Many of us received an email confirming that they received our application and will let us know asap.

J32

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Apr 4, 2019

Personally, your story is one of the best, if not the best, source of motivation for me heading into interviews this summer Alice :) I'm sure others feel similarly to me!

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi all, sorry for all my questions regarding the Macfarlanes app, but I was particularly concerned about how to answer this question. "On this page please give details of time spent out of education or work, for example time spent travelling.(50)' I would assume they mean if you took a gap year, which I didn't. However I did travel a lot around Asia after graduation, but I'm not sure if this really what they're looking for.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, sorry for all my questions regarding the Macfarlanes app, but I was particularly concerned about how to answer this question. "On this page please give details of time spent out of education or work, for example time spent travelling.(50)' I would assume they mean if you took a gap year, which I didn't. However I did travel a lot around Asia after graduation, but I'm not sure if this really what they're looking for.

this is exactly what it is for - it is if there for any time gaps in your CV that can be accounted for by going travelling for that period of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.