Linklaters 2019/20 Application

Saksham Malik

Star Member
May 26, 2020
Hi all

I was wondering if anybody has completed the Linklaters "Capp Online Assessment" and could shed any light on what it actually entails as the info the firm provides doesn't seem to give too much away. It seems that its trying to test quite a few different attributes so I am wondering if its similar to HSF's assessment which had SJT and critical reasoning questions in the same test.

I'd really appreciate any info anybody has on this as I'm a bit apprehensive to go into it blind.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi all. Can someone give a more detailed overview of what the Capp online assessment entails?

Also, do all applicants need to give the Watson Glaser or only those who clear the Capp online assessment are invited to give it?

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
Hi all. Can someone give a more detailed overview of what the Capp online assessment entails?

Also, do all applicants need to give the Watson Glaser or only those who clear the Capp online assessment are invited to give it?

The Capp assessment consists of 7 different modules each based on a different "deal/situation". Its an SJT: you basically are given a scenario with different options and you have to rank what you would do (e.g. your friend is struggling with a task but ur given a new task by ur principal, would u help the friend, tell them u cant and focus on the task etc.). There are also more general questions about the type of person that you are (E.g. do it perfectly but miss the deadline vs. submit with mistakes but meet the deadline) and you basically answer these questions using a slide bar. There is no time-limit and no way to prepare for this: its literally based on who you are but bear in mind the AGILE framework to make sure that your answers align with LL's "expectations".

As for the WG everyone has to pass it and you can request your results after having passed it. Let me know if you have any more questions!

• 🏆
Reactions: JoNo and Saksham Malik

Saksham Malik

Star Member
May 26, 2020
The Capp assessment consists of 7 different modules each based on a different "deal/situation". Its an SJT: you basically are given a scenario with different options and you have to rank what you would do (e.g. your friend is struggling with a task but ur given a new task by ur principal, would u help the friend, tell them u cant and focus on the task etc.). There are also more general questions about the type of person that you are (E.g. do it perfectly but miss the deadline vs. submit with mistakes but meet the deadline) and you basically answer these questions using a slide bar. There is no time-limit and no way to prepare for this: its literally based on who you are but bear in mind the AGILE framework to make sure that your answers align with LL's "expectations".

As for the WG everyone has to pass it and you can request your results after having passed it. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. Could you please also tell me what is the best way to prepare for the Watson Glaser? Specifically:

a. Which websites have the most useful free practice tests available? Ideally, I would prefer tests that are on the same level as a training contract Watson Glaser assessment.
b. Are paid online tests worth it? I personally find the prices a bit too steep, since I will be paying in INR.
c. What websites would you recommend for paid practice tests? Keeping in mind value for money, duration of subscription, difficulty level of the tests.
d. How many practice tests should you give or how many days should you ideally prepare for before writing the assessment?

I would really appreciate further help with this. Thanks again!

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. Could you please also tell me what is the best way to prepare for the Watson Glaser? Specifically:

a. Which websites have the most useful free practice tests available? Ideally, I would prefer tests that are on the same level as a training contract Watson Glaser assessment.
b. Are paid online tests worth it? I personally find the prices a bit too steep, since I will be paying in INR.
c. What websites would you recommend for paid practice tests? Keeping in mind value for money, duration of subscription, difficulty level of the tests.
d. How many practice tests should you give or how many days should you ideally prepare for before writing the assessment?

I would really appreciate further help with this. Thanks again!

So to practice the WG I did not get the paid practice tests. I only used the free resources available online, I googled "Free WG practice" and just practised from every link I can find. I eventually got 77% on the official one with LL. I think the key is to understand the reasoning. its not really about making 50 different tests but to understand how the answer was reached. Once you understand the reasoning the rest is easy.

People usually recommend the practice offered by assessmentday: https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/watson-glaser-critical-thinking.htm

The WG of LL was very similar to the one of CC. So if you're applying to both firms, the WG test will even have some overlapping questions. So one of your applications can be a practice for the other.

Hope this helps!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Saksham Malik

Saksham Malik

Star Member
May 26, 2020
So to practice the WG I did not get the paid practice tests. I only used the free resources available online, I googled "Free WG practice" and just practised from every link I can find. I eventually got 77% on the official one with LL. I think the key is to understand the reasoning. its not really about making 50 different tests but to understand how the answer was reached. Once you understand the reasoning the rest is easy.

People usually recommend the practice offered by assessmentday: https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/watson-glaser-critical-thinking.htm

The WG of LL was very similar to the one of CC. So if you're applying to both firms, the WG test will even have some overlapping questions. So one of your applications can be a practice for the other.

Hope this helps!

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you again. Did 77 per cent allow you to clear the LL test? Sounds good enough to be honest.

NourJ

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jan 1, 2020
That makes a lot of sense. Thank you again. Did 77 per cent allow you to clear the LL test? Sounds good enough to be honest.

Yes, it did! I'm set to start their summer vac scheme at the end of June. So if you have any other questions about LL let me know I'd be more than happy to help!

I forgot to answer that part of the qs: I practised for 3 days before I took the test (I didn't have the time to practice more) and I took both the CC and LL tests at the same time and was successful on both. The first practice I did I got 63% if I remember correctly and then I practised until my score improved to 80% before taking the official tests

• 📥
Reactions: Mia97

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Just like to add that getting a good/bad score on the Watson Glaser for Linklaters is not the be-all and end-all of the process.

On a personal note, when I applied to Linklaters summer vac scheme, I was in the 91st percentile for the WG Test – and did not get through to AC. As a result, I presume they place quite a lot of weight on the Capp assessment/application form.

Best of luck to everyone.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Just like to add that getting a good/bad score on the Watson Glaser for Linklaters is not the be-all and end-all of the process.

On a personal note, when I applied to Linklaters summer vac scheme, I was in the 91st percentile for the WG Test – and did not get through to AC. As a result, I presume they place quite a lot of weight on the Capp assessment/application form.

Best of luck to everyone.

Just a note. WG is just a pass fail thing. A 70% is fine, anything above that doesn’t make a difference.

TTD20

Jan 16, 2020
Hi all, I just started to fill out their application and I am only allowed to put in three job descriptions / work experience. Does anyone know if they limit it to three only (or if my computer is playing up and not loading the rest)? Thanks!

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Hi all, I just started to fill out their application and I am only allowed to put in three job descriptions / work experience. Does anyone know if they limit it to three only (or if my computer is playing up and not loading the rest)? Thanks!

Yes, it's limited to three. Just pick your three most relevant pieces of work experience!

Reactions: Zoo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.