Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker What subjects/topics would you suggest that one should study if he is aiming to apply at startup based law firms like Taylor Wessing, Osbourne Clarke etc. I mean from the point of a minimum knowledge threshold?

you are looking at this the wrong way. It is not about a “minimum knowledge threshold” - it’s about applying analytical skills, common sense and genuine interest into a topic that is constantly changing and evolving.

Read regularly about start ups

Follow different sources of information

find a particular sector/industry related to the topic that particularly interests you and thoroughly read into it. Don’t just read one mainstream news page about it, but read different sources like industry websites/publications, read articles from people on LinkedIn who talk about it

Follow or search relevant hashtags on social media

Listen to podcasts/YouTube channels/posts

Your “minimum knowledge threshold” has a lifespan and that lifespan is actually relatively short. If you are truly interested in these topics you will be consuming content about them already and will be able to comment on them if you have the analytical ability and common sense to back up the factual knowledge.

Reactions: gg999 and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your previous answer Ma'am- I was just reading about the India Specific internships by Linklaters and HSF and I wanted to ask if an Indian student can apply-both ways, via the normal route which the UK students take and via the India internship route? @Jessica Booker

you can probably only apply for one vacancy per cycle, but you should contact each firm to check. Remember you are unlikely to get a visa for a UK based internship that isn’t specifically for Indian students, so that might give you a clearer reason on which one to apply for.

Kieran1998

Jun 9, 2020
Hi Jessica

I applied to numerous Vac Schemes this year with no luck of passing the application stage. I predict this is due to my A-Levels (ABD) and the LLB I am on being at a low-ranking university.

As I am about to enter my third year, I am planning to start applying for TCs. Though, if met with the same rejection, I am considering means of mitigating the A-Levels and low-ranking uni.

For instance, would completing an LLM at Cambridge, Oxford or LSE be beneficial in your opinion? I know they are hard courses to get on, however my grade average is currently 85% with some assessments scoring 90%+. Do you feel this could perhaps boost my chances of a successful application, in light of my undesirable A-levels/Uni?

Alternatively, I have even pondered sitting a fast tracked A-Level within a year in an attempt to achieve another “A” grade to improve my current A-Levels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

I applied to numerous Vac Schemes this year with no luck of passing the application stage. I predict this is due to my A-Levels (ABD) and the LLB I am on being at a low-ranking university.

As I am about to enter my third year, I am planning to start applying for TCs. Though, if met with the same rejection, I am considering means of mitigating the A-Levels and low-ranking uni.

For instance, would completing an LLM at Cambridge, Oxford or LSE be beneficial in your opinion? I know they are hard courses to get on, however my grade average is currently 85% with some assessments scoring 90%+. Do you feel this could perhaps boost my chances of a successful application, in light of my undesirable A-levels/Uni?

Alternatively, I have even pondered sitting a fast tracked A-Level within a year in an attempt to achieve another “A” grade to improve my current A-Levels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

The A-levels maybe (if they have a minimum criteria) but the low ranking uni won’t be an issue.

Resitting the A-level is unlikely to change things. If firms care enough about grades, generally they will want to see them sat in the same year.

A LLM is not a magic bullet. It might help strengthen your application - but I want to be frank. Too many people go on to do LLMs thinking it solves the problem when it doesn’t quite work like that. 1) if the rest of your application is strong, then the a-level grades are less important anyway 2) if the rest of your application isn’t strong, an LLM isn’t going to make it successful.

Plenty of people go to so an LLM and build out the rest of their CV/application while they study it. And that is what helps get them a TC, not the LLM.

Do you have ext circs or would you be flagged in a contextualised recruitment process?

Last edited:

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you are well. I was wondering whether "the deadline for this interview is 13 June 2020 (GMT+01:00)" means you have until 23.59 on 12 June 2020 or 23.59 13 June 2020 to complete it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Hi Jessica. Since many winter vac schemes run during the term time, does that mean they are mostly off-limits to international students on Tier 4 visa which only allows 20 working hours during term time? Do you happen to know ways for international students to participate in these schemes? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. Since many winter vac schemes run during the term time, does that mean they are mostly off-limits to international students on Tier 4 visa which only allows 20 working hours during term time? Do you happen to know ways for international students to participate in these schemes? Thank you.

Unfortunately this will be an issue. The only time I have seen people get around it is of their university signs it off, but I think universities are unwilling to do that these days for fear of getting a serious fine from the government or the rules have changed and universities can no longer do it.

The only time I do see it now is when the internship is integrated into your course - that is unrestricted for the purposes of your student visa where it is part of/a requirement of your course.

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: TChopeful2021

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 9, 2019
Hi Jessica, i'm preparing my applications for next year and I hope to apply for law firms which require submitting a CV. Do you know what is the standard format of a CV when applying to vac schemes? Is it 1 or 2 pages long? and would a personal statement be acceptable? Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, i'm preparing my applications for next year and I hope to apply for law firms which require submitting a CV. Do you know what is the standard format of a CV when applying to vac schemes? Is it 1 or 2 pages long? and would a personal statement be acceptable? Thank you!

generally 2 pages is acceptable when applying in the U.K.

However you may want to have a 1 page version, particularly if you are applying to US firms. In the US, a 1 page CV is the expectation and so there is a possibility that a US firm want a 1 page CV, even if applying for a U.K. role. If a firm has social media/networking events, then you could always ask the question to them directly though.

personal statements are usually a complete waste of time. They are generally cliched or vague in terms of content, or superseded by other parts of an application (like a cover letter or online application form). The only time I recommend them is if you don’t have to provide any other information but your CV and if your CV suggest a massive change of direction towards law.

B.Rvd

Mar 26, 2020
Hi Jess,

Quick question!

Within the work experience section of an online app, is it worth mentioning incoming summer work experience / internships if they may impress (even if I have not yet completed them at the time of application)?

Thank you for your time,
Bernie

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess,

Quick question!

Within the work experience section of an online app, is it worth mentioning incoming summer work experience / internships if they may impress (even if I have not yet completed them at the time of application)?

Thank you for your time,
Bernie

Depends - if you are limited to the number of work experience sections, then no. If these are unlimited, then yes but you just provide no detail (just date and firm). Too many candidates end up writing Sentences/paragraphs about something they haven’t done yet, which is just unnecessary or a waste.

sometimes things like this are great for “additional information” sections or questions where it can literally be “I will be interning at Joe Bloggs LLP for three weeks in June”.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
When firms , post rejection, state on their website" you can only apply once per 12 months", is this strict? For e.g, I applied for Allen and Overy's VS in October 2019., was rejected for their WVS. Their new TC apps begins in August I think, and since its rolling, I wish to apply A$AP.

I contacted their grad rec to ask if I could apply as technically they are different cycles. Yet, on the website, they said "applications can only be made per 12 months" last I saw, so I'm confused. If anyone could shed guidance on this, I'd appreciate it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When firms , post rejection, state on their website" you can only apply once per 12 months", is this strict? For e.g, I applied for Allen and Overy's VS in October 2019., was rejected for their WVS. Their new TC apps begins in August I think, and since its rolling, I wish to apply A$AP.

I contacted their grad rec to ask if I could apply as technically they are different cycles. Yet, on the website, they said "applications can only be made per 12 months" last I saw, so I'm confused. If anyone could shed guidance on this, I'd appreciate it.

What did they say in their response?

I suspect it to be strict and that if you can wait until October, you should.

ParalegalDaG

Standard Member
Jun 16, 2020
Hi Jessica,

I am working on a TC application that, after the usual competency questions, asks "Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?"

I wonder if this is the right place to discuss extracurricular activities and achievements, but would be grateful for your view.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am working on a TC application that, after the usual competency questions, asks "Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?"

I wonder if this is the right place to discuss extracurricular activities and achievements, but would be grateful for your view.

Thank you!

is there not a section for this on the form?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.