How to network effectively

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Recently as everything has become based online, I need to strengthen my ability to network.

I prefer face to face networking as it’s much easier for me but that’s just a personal preference. I find networking online a bit more intimidating but I know it’s necessary so I’ll have to put that to one side.

I recently signed up for an account with aspiring solicitors as there were a few lawyers on there that I would like to contact, as some have the same learning difficulty as I do. And I want to better understand how they overcame those obstacles and what their advice to me would be.

I’m just not sure how I establish an initial conversation, as I know that would be the most important.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Recently as everything has become based online, I need to strengthen my ability to network.

I prefer face to face networking as it’s much easier for me but that’s just a personal preference. I find networking online a bit more intimidating but I know it’s necessary so I’ll have to put that to one side.

I recently signed up for an account with aspiring solicitors as there were a few lawyers on there that I would like to contact, as some have the same learning difficulty as I do. And I want to better understand how they overcame those obstacles and what their advice to me would be.

I’m just not sure how I establish an initial conversation, as I know that would be the most important.

Networking - especially online - can feel intimidating at first, but it helps to remember that most people are really willing to help if you reach out. Especially lawyers on a platform like AS.

You say that there are some people on AS that have the same learning difficulty as you - when you're starting that first conversation, do highlight your own background and the fact that this is why their profile stood out to you. Establishing common ground is often the essential first step in networking. You seem to have a handle on this already, which is great!

I find it also helps to be specific - what specific obstacles are you facing at the moment? How, specifically, can these lawyers help you?

Reactions: Jaysen

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

Hey!

Firstly - I have used Aspiring Solicitors to reach out to some of their professional ambassadors. Please note - they do not sign up to do this because they are press-ganged into it. They ask Chris to become an ambassador. Every time - I have received a timely response and they were so helpful! Definitely make use of it.

If you are reaching out on Linkedin, i'd also just recommend diving in. So many times I receive connections and the person says nothing. I know I only speak from my own experience, but, if someone adds me and asks a question - I generally respond immediately! It's a professional network and people want to help. When I have reached out to lawyers in firms etc for advice, they have all been super helpful! I'd perhaps advise reaching out to Trainees and Associates, rather than partners, but that is a given.

In any event - Taking the first step is the hardest! Definitely start with AS, they are great. Over time, I imagine you'll build some confidence :)

Reactions: Jaysen

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Hey!

Firstly - I have used Aspiring Solicitors to reach out to some of their professional ambassadors. Please note - they do not sign up to do this because they are press-ganged into it. They ask Chris to become an ambassador. Every time - I have received a timely response and they were so helpful! Definitely make use of it.

If you are reaching out on Linkedin, i'd also just recommend diving in. So many times I receive connections and the person says nothing. I know I only speak from my own experience, but, if someone adds me and asks a question - I generally respond immediately! It's a professional network and people want to help. When I have reached out to lawyers in firms etc for advice, they have all been super helpful! I'd perhaps advise reaching out to Trainees and Associates, rather than partners, but that is a given.

In any event - Taking the first step is the hardest! Definitely start with AS, they are great. Over time, I imagine you'll build some confidence :)

Hi

Thank you for your response. One of them specifically works at a firm that I’m interested in. I’m not sure if I’m okay to say that? Does it seem like I’m just using them as a connection to get in and it’s too forthcoming?

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Networking - especially online - can feel intimidating at first, but it helps to remember that most people are really willing to help if you reach out. Especially lawyers on a platform like AS.

You say that there are some people on AS that have the same learning difficulty as you - when you're starting that first conversation, do highlight your own background and the fact that this is why their profile stood out to you. Establishing common ground is often the essential first step in networking. You seem to have a handle on this already, which is great!

I find it also helps to be specific - what specific obstacles are you facing at the moment? How, specifically, can these lawyers help you?

Hi

Thanks for your response. I’ll definitely take that advice on board.

My main issues revolve around overcoming a learning difficulty and how to get actual legal experience considering I have slightly below average academics because of this. One specifically works at a firm I’m interested in applying to, but I’m guessing I should hold off on saying that as I assume it just comes across as using them?

while I know it’s great to build up a good network I’m still nervous about the do’s and dont’s

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Hi

Thanks for your response. I’ll definitely take that advice on board.

My main issues revolve around overcoming a learning difficulty and how to get actual legal experience considering I have slightly below average academics because of this. One specifically works at a firm I’m interested in applying to, but I’m guessing I should hold off on saying that as I assume it just comes across as using them?

while I know it’s great to build up a good network I’m still nervous about the do’s and dont’s

Plenty of aspiring lawyers reach out to lawyers working at the particular firms they're interested in - this is unlikely to be a problem. For example, you could ask them about how they found the application process of the firm with their learning difficulty (including how they went about getting work experience), how they're finding the job day-to-day - whatever you'd like to know. As with all kinds of communication, just make sure your messages are courteous, genuine and - if possible - targeted to the specific expertise of the person you're communicating with.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Literally what you have just said is appropriate - you are explaining why you want to connect with them specifically as well as explaining what you are hoping to get out of the conversation. It doesn't have to be any deeper than that.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hi

Thank you for your response. One of them specifically works at a firm that I’m interested in. I’m not sure if I’m okay to say that? Does it seem like I’m just using them as a connection to get in and it’s too forthcoming?

Well, don't view it as "I'm just looking for a connection" because that is not true. I think that is your anxiety telling you that! Yes, you will get to make a connection, but, no doubt you are looking to find out more about the firm. You can ask about their experiences, the type of work they deal with, the culture... these are all excellent reasons to reach out and connect with people :)

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
Well, don't view it as "I'm just looking for a connection" because that is not true. I think that is your anxiety telling you that! Yes, you will get to make a connection, but, no doubt you are looking to find out more about the firm. You can ask about their experiences, the type of work they deal with, the culture... these are all excellent reasons to reach out and connect with people :)

Thank you! That’s really helpful and I agree I think it’s just me being nervous and overthinking it:)

• 🏆
Reactions: D and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you! That’s really helpful and I agree I think it’s just me being nervous and overthinking it:)
Don't worry - we have all overthought and worried over things like this! It is sometimes just down to practice and starting to feel more comfortable in those situations.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.