Training Contract Application

JasmineM9

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2019
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask questions on the training contract application process.

Since I did not apply to any placements this year, I am aiming to apply for direct TC next year. I have a range of legal and non legal work experience and I am also the founder and president of my university Commercial Law Society.

I have no prior experience in applying for a TC, what do you think I should expect?
Many people said that it is really tough to get a TC at a Magic Circle firm, for this reason I am definitely not expecting to get it first time but I am determined to give it a try and hope for the best!

I am trying to get as much experience as I can, I secured a place at two virtual law fairs and the Virtual Internship Experience with Bright Network, which hopefully it will give me more insight on what is like to work at a law firm.

What should I do to have the best possible chance of securing a TC?

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask questions on the training contract application process.

Since I did not apply to any placements this year, I am aiming to apply for direct TC next year. I have a range of legal and non legal work experience and I am also the founder and president of my university Commercial Law Society.

I have no prior experience in applying for a TC, what do you think I should expect?
Many people said that it is really tough to get a TC at a Magic Circle firm, for this reason I am definitely not expecting to get it first time but I am determined to give it a try and hope for the best!

I am trying to get as much experience as I can, I secured a place at two virtual law fairs and the Virtual Internship Experience with Bright Network, which hopefully it will give me more insight on what is like to work at a law firm.

What should I do to have the best possible chance of securing a TC?
Hi! I think some firms might like to see Vac schemes or at least open days etc so maybe apply to vacs as well as direct TCs just to hedge your bets? :) the two people I interviewed with at Freshfields for a direct TC had never had Vac schemes so I can assure you that FF don’t mind so much either way! :) I’m not too sure on others though as I was advised to try for vacs first and then TCs after to be honest! :) I’m sure there are many others who’ve gone for the direct route in the first instance though who may be able to better advise :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: Lauren2

JasmineM9

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2019
Hi Alice, thank you for your message! I did attend some open days, certain firm said that a direct application without a Vacation Scheme is fine. However, other firms recruit mainly from Vacation Schemes, so I think it depends on the firm I will go for a mixture of direct TCs and VS applications.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice, thank you for your message! I did attend some open days, certain firm said that a direct application without a Vacation Scheme is fine. However, other firms recruit mainly from Vacation Schemes, so I think it depends on the firm I will go for a mixture of direct TCs and VS applications.
I think you're exactly right - it just depends, and the best thing to do is exactly what you have and just engage with them and ask the question :) A mix sounds like a good idea to me! :)

Reactions: JasmineM9

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
If you're eligible to apply for vacation schemes and training contracts, you should do both (if you're allowed to in the same cycle) and if not, a mixture. Try and apply to a range of firms that 'make sense' together, so if you're ever asked about what other firms you're applying to, you will be able to explain it.

Something that people tend to neglect is doing preparation work that exists outside of attending virtual internships, schemes, workshops / classes, etc. What you can and should do is write an 'extended' CV, where you populate every experience you have with detailed prose (and try to relate each experience to various competencies or answering motivational questions like why law or a firm). This will take a long time, but it will help you write better, more concisely, and also hone your own narrative. This has helped me massively in my own interviews and applications.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I would say that it's worth applying for vac schemes, if only for the experience of the recruitment process itself. For example, you could do a "test run" for a firm that maybe you wouldn't apply for a TC (but is along the lines of what you want to do) to get a feel for what goes into am application, interview, etc.

Reactions: Karin and JasmineM9

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.