Entering the job market after a self-funded GDL - no TC yet

Yas-mine

Jun 8, 2020
Hello,

I am a french law & economics graduate, and am about to complete the GDL at The University of Law, which I self-funded. I am beyond worried that my TC applications have not been unsuccessful (I was rejected from 3 firms after the online assessment stage), and unsure what my next step should be.

I know it isn't reasonable to carry on with the LPC self-funded, so I am thinking about applying to full-time positions starting September (I sit exams in August) - but what positions can I apply to at this stage ?

I have a M1 Business law, and a dual degree in law and economics from Panthéon-Sorbonne Paris 1 University, and the GDL.

Any help, ideas at all are welcome!!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
@Jessica Booker is definitely going to be the best advice here.

Just a note, there is a list of firms on the firm that will retrospectively fund your LPC if you are successful getting a TC with them, but, with the SQE changes, it's probably a really odd time to be considering what to do.

What online tests were you failing - The Watson Glaser? There are lots of firms who do not use it. Also - You can definitely improve with practice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Assuming you have fluency in languages outside of English, you may want to focus on paralegal roles that require your language. There won’t be huge amounts of vacancies, but when they are available, the talent pool will be much smaller and you have a stronger chance.

Also look for temp and short term paralegal roles as they will be more flexible in terms of requirements compared to looking at a role that is permanent.

Reactions: Yas-mine

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.