Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I know people are getting frustrated by the comments on TSR. My advice is to try to leave it - I shouldn’t have gone back in there to try and help, and honestly wish I hadn’t now given the way the conversation is going.

Please just ignore the individuals involved saying derogatory things. We can leave their spite with them and focus on the community here instead.

Update: fortunately the offending posts have now gone!

Last edited:

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
Hi all, I'm assuming Slaughter and May doesn't have an online test as that is not addressed anywhere on the website. However, is there one middle stage between the application and the assessment centre or is it similar to Macfarlane's in the sense that you go straight from the application to the assessment centre.

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Hello. Can I just confirm that Clifford Chance, Freshfields and Slaughter and May only accept penultimate year law students for their vacation schemes? Therefore final year law students can only apply for a direct TC at those firms?

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi all, I'm assuming Slaughter and May doesn't have an online test as that is not addressed anywhere on the website. However, is there one middle stage between the application and the assessment centre or is it similar to Macfarlane's in the sense that you go straight from the application to the assessment centre.

Nope, straight interview

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Hi all,

Have a very silly question but it's a question nonetheless haha..

What does everyone think of using abbreviations in application forms? e.g. I'm instead of I am.

Currently writing my Freshfields PS and I've been abbreviating I am to I'm but just panicking whether this is appropriate. I wouldn't do it for applications without a word count so slightly confused.

@Jessica Booker if you have any insight?

Thanks! :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all,

What does everyone think of using abbreviations in application forms? e.g. I'm instead of I am.

Currently writing my Freshfields PS and I've been abbreviating I am to I'm but just panicking whether this is appropriate. I wouldn't do it for applications without a word count so slightly confused.

Personally I wouldn't use them as it can come across as being too informal. However, abbreviating a firm's name, for example, Herbert Smith Freehills to HSF, is acceptable in my experience.

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

Depends what the abbreviation is.

If it is something the firm use themselves on their website, then it’s fine (eg M&A, firm acronyms). Otherwise avoid it.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    At the end of a lot of Vac Schemes, virtual or not, there is a TC conversion interview. I was just wondering how and if the format, structure, questions asked etc differed from a Vac Scheme or normal TC interview? Thanks :)

It will depend on the firm, but typically there is just much more weighting put on your motivation for the firm. They will want to be confident you are going to stick with the firm for several years post qualification.

Reactions: julie1995 and Jaysen

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    RE the Slaughter and May questions, there's a part in the firm's FAQ section that states "Candidates who have had an unsuccessful work experience application can still apply for a training contract. Those who have had an unsuccessful training contract application are unlikely to be successful in a subsequent application unless there has been a significant development which alters their application. We do not tend to re-interview candidates for training contracts."

I applied for a direct TC before and my application was rejected, so I'm not sure if it's worth it applying to Slaughters again. Does anyone know what could count as a "significant development" which alters one's application? Would it be along the lines of doing 2 new VSs and finishing a master's since the last one, or can it be as simple as learning how to better tailor an application to the firm?

Thanks!

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Also, maybe a bit of a silly question, but how do you know how to spell a firm's name in the possessive form? For instance - is it Linklaters' or Linklaters's? Macfarlanes' or Macfarlanes's? Morgan Lewis' or Morgan Lewis's? Paul Hastings or Paul Hastings's?

They're all based on surnames and technically singular words, so you should grammatically be able to add on " 's ", but for some of them it sounds more off than others because it has that unmistakable "plural-sounding" name, so I'm really not sure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    RE the Slaughter and May questions, there's a part in the firm's FAQ section that states "Candidates who have had an unsuccessful work experience application can still apply for a training contract. Those who have had an unsuccessful training contract application are unlikely to be successful in a subsequent application unless there has been a significant development which alters their application. We do not tend to re-interview candidates for training contracts."

I applied for a direct TC before and my application was rejected, so I'm not sure if it's worth it applying to Slaughters again. Does anyone know what could count as a "significant development" which alters one's application? Would it be along the lines of doing 2 new VSs and finishing a master's since the last one, or can it be as simple as learning how to better tailor an application to the firm?

Thanks!

significant development:

- significant work experience completed
    - Further study (often law only though)
    - significant improvement in grades

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also, maybe a bit of a silly question, but how do you know how to spell a firm's name in the possessive form? For instance - is it Linklaters' or Linklaters's? Macfarlanes' or Macfarlanes's? Morgan Lewis' or Morgan Lewis's? Paul Hastings or Paul Hastings's?

They're all based on surnames and technically singular words, so you should grammatically be able to add on " 's ", but for some of them it sounds more off than others because it has that unmistakable "plural-sounding" name, so I'm really not sure.

avoid writing it that way. Change the sentence structure or use “the firm’s”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For Cover letters what is the standard format expected? Is it simply 12 point font, 1.5 spacing and times new roman font?

not doesn’t really matter - single line spacing and 10 font can be ok as long as you are not trying ever trick in the book to squeeze more content on to a page. It visually needs to be appealing to read.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.