General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hey guys, Freshfields allows me to edit my app(TC) even though I submitted it. Is it normal? Im guessing it depends on the firm, as CC allowed for edits after submission prior to the deadline.. though I'm not sure(first time submitting TC's)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Also, maybe a bit of a silly question, but how do you know how to spell a firm's name in the possessive form? For instance - is it Linklaters' or Linklaters's? Macfarlanes' or Macfarlanes's? Morgan Lewis' or Morgan Lewis's? Paul Hastings or Paul Hastings's?

They're all based on surnames and technically singular words, so you should grammatically be able to add on " 's ", but for some of them it sounds more off than others because it has that unmistakable "plural-sounding" name, so I'm really not sure.
    Yeah, I was always taught that if it's a singular noun ending in -s then you only need to add an apostrophe e.g. Chris' book. In that case, I would say Linklaters', Macfarlanes', Morgan Lewis', Paul Hastings' etc.

Reactions: dosblancos7

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Guys,

I hope you are all well and safe.

Dentons is organising event for BAME students. I strongly advise you to connect especially if you are looking to apply for a TC!
    I know that many of us are waiting to hear about our applications but for those who have yet to apply this is a good opportunity.

Attendees will have the opportunity to take part in an applications skills session, virtual speed networking and a panel discussion. Speakers include mary boakye, David Neita, James Adeleke (FRSA) and Rathi Thiagamoorthy.

The event is open to all students who are interested in a career in law, particularly those who identify as being of Black ethnic minority heritage or who are supportive of diversity and aspire to work in a diverse and collaborative environment.

If this sounds like you, apply by sending a CV and a brief paragraph on why you would like to attend to bpn.insightday@dentons.com by June 15th.

That's amazing, thanks so much for posting!

Do you know the name of the event by any chance? I can't seem to find it online.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Yeah, I was always taught that if it's a singular noun ending in -s then you only need to add an apostrophe e.g. Chris' book. In that case, I would say Linklaters', Macfarlanes', Morgan Lewis', Paul Hastings' etc.

Yup that's what I was leaning towards as well, but then I remembered something I (used to, in pre-pandemic world) hear on the tube... "St James's Park"! Surely the announcement lady wouldn't be saying it wrong this whole time?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Yup that's what I was leaning towards as well, but then I remembered something I (used to, in pre-pandemic world) hear on the tube... "St James's Park"! Surely the announcement lady wouldn't be saying it wrong this whole time?
    Indeed you’re right - pronunciation can often sound out the two ‘s’ but it’s written with one s and apostrophe after to denote the second s which is not written.. The curious quirks of grammar.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yeah I thought there might be flexibility but what would you consider as "squeezing" like I'm just scared I'll be writing too much.

If you are reducing font size, and reducing margins/or making line spacing too crowded, then you are squeezing stuff in.

my advice:

GO ON WORD COUNT rather than aiming for a page. With all formal letter formatting, a one page letter is probably going to be less 650 words.

Don’t put it less than 11 font (10 can be fine depending on the font type and test of your formatting, but generally 11 is better).

Single line spacing is fine if your paragraphs are short (no one wants to read a massive block of small text), don’t put your margins too narrow.

when you have finished it, zoom out so you can see the whole page in one screen, and ask yourself:

- does the page look too busy
    - would you be compelled to read it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It is written St James’s Park (which is grammatically correct). For me Jess’ and Jess’s are both grammatically correct - it’s just a preference thing.

whatever way you go, do it consistently. Although as I said, my advice is to restructure the sentence so you don’t have to use the apostrophe at all or change it to “firm’s”

Reactions: Helena and Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys,

You may have seen that we're running a webinar with Shearman & Sterling on Wednesday at 11am: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3EIkbhGZSg6LI4J4blx1DQ. Delighted to see we have over 750 registrations so far!

If anyone has had a virtual interview/vacation scheme, it would be great if you could PM me. I'd love to hear more about your experience ahead of our session - giftcards are up for grabs!

Thanks,

Jaysen

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    You're not alone, in fact a frighteningly similar position to myself. A 2018 grad, applying since second year with only last cycle being a focused approach with results.

I had my week of 'deflation' last week. Make sure you allow yourself to have some sort of time to step back. I've found that if I'm feeling lost/demotivated I try and focus on something that isn't on the forefront of applications to law firms. Allow yourself this time! For me this was reading 'Billion Dollar Whale' which is a book about finance (something I really enjoy and currently work in), but this also may contribute to a well rounded commercial knowledge which might be later useful in the application process. I did this almost every evening last week as apposed to applications - the weather was good so I took the opportunity to sit outside and top up my Haribo-Squashy-like tan.

I'd say the courses on TCLA are also very useful where the content isn't necessarily application focused but will help you later down the line come next Jan/Feb interview season. Naturally it's very easy to stray onto the forums and begin where you started.

Whilst my examples have both been somewhat related to how I tailor my applications - look at doing almost anything else you enjoy, as it's likely that your period of demotivation will be temporary, especially if you've been on the grind since 2016! Even if you put all of your energy into one thing for 3/4 days you completely depart yourself from the process and come back with a fresh mindset.

In terms of lost time, it's only lost time if you do nothing with it - which I'm certain doesn't apply to you. There are still direct TC opportunities out there, LawCareers.net TC deadlines is your friend.

Whilst the above is specifically related to myself, I think the message I'm trying to convey is that if you find something that'll require all of your attention for a small period of time, it's likely you return to that apply4law portal raring to go.

Firstly, if it's any consolation at all, pretty much everyone I know has felt the same way as you are now. You are not alone in this and thank you for having the courage to reach out!

As @SportsThoughts so eloquently said, the time is only lost if you do not use it. My target right now is to try and learn at least one new thing every day that can help my commercial awareness. As such I'd really recommend looking into some of the courses I recommended in the 'Vacation Scheme Preparation' thread as they're helping me pass the time at the moment.

There are still TC applications available (most close end of July I believe) so I'd recommend checking some of those out if there are any firms of interest there.

Hope this helps but please feel free to discuss further - I know a lot of will people appreciate your candour :)

Hi,

I am having a whatsapp chat with a friend and I discussing about the exact same thing. I still need to amend a couple of app and start a new one..for a total of 10 apps but I am taking a break after that. I have been waiting to hear back for weeks and it is affecting my daily life and work..so I am going to sit and wait. I am super happy about myself especially when it comes to researching and drafting TC apps.
    You are great and I can see it from your post..we need to keep swimming because there is a chance for us.

After July, I am going to take a step back and relax for at least a good month..September is around the corner and I will make my list and stalk the firms that I want to apply to.

Take a step back, go for a run, spend time with your family or enjoy Netflix. But then comeback stronger and better than before

Hi all!

Thanks so much for your responses. Apologies for getting back to you so late. I've been trying to take some time off from the whole corporate law thing and just needed some time to myself.

Thank you all for your insights and advice. I've bookmarked them all.

As weird as this sounds, I feel we're always focussing on the firms and how many apps we did. And we tend to forget that we have our own desires, hopes, ambitions too. And that we're first and foremost people too. It's such a weird thing this legal graduate recruitment market haha.

Thanks again everyone! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Demna87 and Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.