Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: Miki3999

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
If you are reducing font size, and reducing margins/or making line spacing too crowded, then you are squeezing stuff in.

my advice:

GO ON WORD COUNT rather than aiming for a page. With all formal letter formatting, a one page letter is probably going to be less 650 words.

Don’t put it less than 11 font (10 can be fine depending on the font type and test of your formatting, but generally 11 is better).

Single line spacing is fine if your paragraphs are short (no one wants to read a massive block of small text), don’t put your margins too narrow.

when you have finished it, zoom out so you can see the whole page in one screen, and ask yourself:

- does the page look too busy
- would you be compelled to read it

Thank you so much this is great advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For A-Level or equivalents would you actually put your grades in your CV? Or just what A-levels you did, as obviously we will be inputting the grades into the online application

Yes - you should put your A-level or equivalent grades on your CV.

you’ll also be putting the subjects into the online application too.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Also to follow on my last question about CV's is it okay to not do bullets under work experience descriptions but instead a brief description of what you did and the skills you acquired?
    I'd put the description into bullet points just to make it easier to read but also because bullet points are the accepted practice generally

Reactions: thecorporatelawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also to follow on my last question about CV's is it okay to not do bullets under work experience descriptions but instead a brief description of what you did and the skills you acquired?

it shouldn’t really be prose on a CV. You aren’t really writing full sentences and therefor bullet points will keep it concise without looking grammatically incorrect.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wow okay, what about university grades, I'm assuming you do not need to put every single module and grade? I was assuming I could just put that I acquired a 2.1 and also the percentage average of all three years?

this is a bit odd as you are applying with another part of the application with this information. If you weren’t you’d need to include your module results.

Given the repetition it is up to you what you include or don’t - but if most of the information on your CV is repeated in the application, I would suggest they just want to see it presented in another format.

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    Hi all, has anyone heard back from Ashurst recently? I haven't heard since an email in February when I was told I would hear back shortly. I have since sent a follow-up email with no response, so assuming grad recruitment team is either heavily reduced workforce or furloughed.
    Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Guys,

Just to let you know that I was contacted, via Vantage, by Lewis Silkin and they are looking for 6 more trainees for their 2022 TC.

Employment law will be a hot topic for the next few years, I can see why they would need more.

Reactions: S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.