Paralegal roles and other non TC/VS opportunities

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Jessica,

What are the "general" pre-requisites to be able to apply for these positions? When candidates have "secured a training contract" - Is this generally pre or post LPC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Jessica,

What are the "general" pre-requisites to be able to apply for these positions? When candidates have "secured a training contract" - Is this generally pre or post LPC?

There aren’t any general pre requisites - it will vary from position to position, let alone firm to firm.

I have known trainees fo secure these roles both pre and post LPC though

Reactions: D

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hi, great idea for a thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for recruiters to use. I know roles at the moment are quite scarce.

I know that LOD are seeing a high demand for paralegals right now, according to The Lawyer so perhaps look into them? They’re an agency.

Also; check out Ryder Reid too. They could be of help. And look into tech-start ups as well. I’ve heard that some are hiring :)

Reactions: Zaynob

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi, great idea for a thread. Does anyone have any recommendations for recruiters to use. I know roles at the moment are quite scarce.

When I was looking for paralegal roles in December, I used Linkedin but then found out that many of the jobs advertised were out of date. I think a good idea is to try to find some potential firms by searching what law firms are in your area and then look on their own job advertisement websites to see whether it is still available. I know a lot of firms have stopped their recruitment processes now until after lockdown, but you may have some luck!

There may still be positions in areas that are very busy right now or as another user suggested, look into tech start-ups.

I am not sure how helpful this is but if you need any help/advice on applying, drop me a message!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Recruitment through most agencies seems to be at a standstill right now :(

Wonder when things will pick back up

Firms aren’t really hiring at the moment. Not only is there issues with workflow, but trying to train up new people can be tricky when all done remotely. July/August tend to be quiet months of the year anyway, even without the current recession.

Where firms are recruiting, they are far more likely to do it directly to reduce costs and where recruitment teams have more time to self-source applicants. The exception will be temp agencies but even they are struggling at the moment as it’s not straight forward training up a temp remotely.

amb98

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    Firms aren’t really hiring at the moment. Not only is there issues with workflow, but trying to train up new people can be tricky when all done remotely. July/August tend to be quiet months of the year anyway, even without the current recession.

Where firms are recruiting, they are far more likely to do it directly to reduce costs and where recruitment teams have more time to self-source applicants. The exception will be temp agencies but even they are struggling at the moment as it’s not straight forward training up a temp remotely.

I see... not a good job market to enter into as a graduate!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I see... not a good job market to enter into as a graduate!

Not a good job market for anyone at the moment to be fair. I know there is some evidence to suggest that if anything graduates fair better in recessions than experienced members of staff, I suspect where they are generally cheaper sources of talent.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Is it possible to secure a paralegal role without the LPC/previous experience? Many roles seem to have these as prerequisites.

Yes - it is possible. I have seen enough paralegals for it.

My advice is to start off looking at temp roles and contract roles though - there is little point applying for permanent roles unless you want a permanent job (and won’t need time off for vac schemes), because typically those roles will require more experience or the LPC. They tend to be more open minded on interim roles. If you have any fluency in languages, then look out for paralegal roles that may specifically need them too.

I also recommend not limiting yourself to paralegal roles. There can often be great business development admin roles or other business services admin roles in areas like CSR/Pro bono teams that can sometimes be a good role to go into.

Phoebe

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 25, 2018
    Yes - it is possible. I have seen enough paralegals for it.

My advice is to start off looking at temp roles and contract roles though - there is little point applying for permanent roles unless you want a permanent job (and won’t need time off for vac schemes), because typically those roles will require more experience or the LPC. They tend to be more open minded on interim roles. If you have any fluency in languages, then look out for paralegal roles that may specifically need them too.

I also recommend not limiting yourself to paralegal roles. There can often be great business development admin roles or other business services admin roles in areas like CSR/Pro bono teams that can sometimes be a good role to go into.

That's pretty much how I ended up getting my paralegal job.

I had no prior paralegal experience and I hadn't completed the LPC and I applied for a full time admin position in the conflicts/AML department of the firm - they chose someone with more experience for the permanent role but offered me a 6 week temporary contract. I then applied for a permanent paralegal position in a fee-earning team internally and got the job.

Reactions: Victoria Muntean

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.