Asking Questions at Interviews/Assessment Days

SH414

Jan 26, 2020
Hey guys,

So I have an insight scheme this week, and I've noticed that there are a lot of sessions for FAQs and obviously they will always ask at any interview if you have any questions. This always stresses me out as usually I've been researching pretty hard so I don't have any burning questions about the TC/the firm, but I don't want to seem disinterested. Does anyone else have this anxiety/does anyone have any tips of how to overcome it/does anyone have examples of questions to ask/good ways to think of questions? I also always worry about just asking a random question and it being really obvious that I'm just asking for askings sake.

Reactions: anulciak7

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I always like to ask the interviewer why they like the firm/what their favourite deal etc has been. Maybe ask more about the culture or anything thats been mentioned during the day that you've found interesting! Its always good to try and prepare some questions to ask beforehand though so you're not stuck without any ideas on the day!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,

So I have an insight scheme this week, and I've noticed that there are a lot of sessions for FAQs and obviously they will always ask at any interview if you have any questions. This always stresses me out as usually I've been researching pretty hard so I don't have any burning questions about the TC/the firm, but I don't want to seem disinterested. Does anyone else have this anxiety/does anyone have any tips of how to overcome it/does anyone have examples of questions to ask/good ways to think of questions? I also always worry about just asking a random question and it being really obvious that I'm just asking for askings sake.

ask the people holding the session their opinion on something about the firm if you are well researched. Make sure it is still something relevant to you (eg you want to know whether something is as real as the glossy website/brochure suggests it is, and that particular point is important to you).

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hey guys,

Don't over-think in these situations. Have an idea of some things you would like to find out, and then at the end of the interview, see if they have been covered. If they haven't - Ask! However, the best questions tend to be organic and flow naturally from your conversation. If I had nothing to ask - I just opened up a normal conversation. At the very least, it shows you are human :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Totally agree here with everything that’s been said! It’s always nice to ask the interviewers more about themselves and maybe ask what it is they love about working in their practice area and whether they almost went into a different one when they were looking to qualify. I’ve also said it’s a unique opportunity to sit with lawyers at international firms so I’ve asked what advice they’d give their younger selves and what would be their key piece of advice for someone looking to embark on this career path :)

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hey guys,

I usually just go with the moment and see, but if I don't have anything to ask, just do what others say - why they like the firm? what makes it different? etc. You can also ask how working from home has been for them and how they think it will impact the law firm / legal industry in the future - will flexible working be more prevalent going forward?

Reactions: Zoo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.