Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a quick question about typo in an app that I just submitted!

Right after submitting an application I realised I wrote that I previously applied for ‘Vacation Scheme summer 2022’ when it should read ‘Summer 2020.’ The application doesn’t close for another month and I checked over the rest of the application 100 times before submitting!

Would it be worth contacting grad rec to clarify or is it obvious/they might not realise? Deadline for applying is July 31.

Thanks for your help!

no - don’t contact grad rec if you spot typos or grammatical mistakes. 1) there is nothing they can do to change the mistake; 2) you are just highlighting a mistake that might not even be picked up or if it is, they might not even care about; 3) you are just creating unnecessary work for the team. 99.99% of applications have some form of error on them and the grad rec team can’t be responsible for recording every error.

in this instance they will be able to use common sense to understand what the error is.

Dannys

Aug 14, 2019
no - don’t contact grad rec if you spot typos or grammatical mistakes. 1) there is nothing they can do to change the mistake; 2) you are just highlighting a mistake that might not even be picked up or if it is, they might not even care about; 3) you are just creating unnecessary work for the team. 99.99% of applications have some form of error on them and the grad rec team can’t be responsible for recording every error.

in this instance they will be able to use common sense to understand what the error is.

Makes sense. Just wanted to make sure!

Thanks so much for the help!!

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I'm finding the Freshfields app a bit tricky to navigate and would appreciate your advice.

I have done a non-law degree and have completed the GDL.

(1) The form requires me to list my education starting with the most relevant. Is my first degree the most relevant?

(2) When I try to input something into the "Education Level", GDL is not an available entry option. What should I do? Also, in the next part of the application, it requires me to list all the subjects I've studied as part of my degree. Should I also include my GDL marks?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I'm finding the Freshfields app a bit tricky to navigate and would appreciate your advice.

I have done a non-law degree and have completed the GDL.

(1) The form requires me to list my education starting with the most relevant. Is my first degree the most relevant?

(2) When I try to input something into the "Education Level", GDL is not an available entry option. What should I do? Also, in the next part of the application, it requires me to list all the subjects I've studied as part of my degree. Should I also include my GDL marks?

I’d put your GDL as the most relevant given the subject and where it is most recent. But it’s up to you, if you think your degree is stronger (eg subject and grades) then up to you to decide whether it is more relevant or not.

the GDL is a post graduate diploma - that is the level you should select.

you should include all modules for the GDL and your degree but make sure they are clearly labelled/attached to the individual qualification

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
I’d put your GDL as the most relevant given the subject and where it is most recent. But it’s up to you, if you think your degree is stronger (eg subject and grades) then up to you to decide whether it is more relevant or not.

the GDL is a post graduate diploma - that is the level you should select.

you should include all modules for the GDL and your degree but make sure they are clearly labelled/attached to the individual qualification

Thanks Jessica - that helps a lot!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
On Latham's App, it says "
If you apply for a vacation scheme and are unsuccessful we would recommend that you wait until the following recruitment year before re-applying for another position with us."

Does this mean the actual next year(so 2021) or the next recruitment cycle(so I initially applied in November 2019), and now its the summer cycle.

Asked latham for clarification months ago, though got no response. Have asked again though!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
On Latham's App, it says "
If you apply for a vacation scheme and are unsuccessful we would recommend that you wait until the following recruitment year before re-applying for another position with us."

Does this mean the actual next year(so 2021) or the next recruitment cycle(so I initially applied in November 2019), and now its the summer cycle.

Asked latham for clarification months ago, though got no response. Have asked again though!

neither - Autumn 2020 will be the next recruitment year

Reactions: dosblancos7

AspiringLawyer2

Jun 23, 2020
Hello Jessica, first and foremost I would like to say that I really appreciate what your doing for aspiring lawyers. Thank You!

(1) I am currently a politics student going into my third year of university. From what I've heard this is the perfect time to apply for training contracts for non-law students. That being said would you recommend that I apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract?

(2) In addition, I know that it is best to attend company open days prior to your application, however I have not seen many virtual open days during this time, furthermore, the open days I have seen are in November, wouldn't this mean that I would have missed some application cycles?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica, first and foremost I would like to say that I really appreciate what your doing for aspiring lawyers. Thank You!

(1) I am currently a politics student going into my third year of university. From what I've heard this is the perfect time to apply for training contracts for non-law students. That being said would you recommend that I apply for a vacation scheme or a training contract?

(2) In addition, I know that it is best to attend company open days prior to your application, however I have not seen many virtual open days during this time, furthermore, the open days I have seen are in November, wouldn't this mean that I would have missed some application cycles?

You will be able to start applying from the autumn for most firms. You should check your eligibility for vacation schemes first (sometimes you have to be a specific year group/stage of studies) and then decided whether to apply for either a vac scheme or a training contract - that will vary between firms.

As you wouldn’t be applying until November/December/January, you have plenty of time to get open days/virtual events on your CV.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are well. I just wondered when you were planning on releasing your virtual vacation scheme tips? My scheme at Gibson Dunn starts in a couple of weeks so if it could be reasonably soon that would be brilliant.

Big thanks for all of your advice so far!

Best wishes,
    Dan

Reactions: CL-BD

AspiringLawyer2

Jun 23, 2020
    You will be able to start applying from the autumn for most firms. You should check your eligibility for vacation schemes first (sometimes you have to be a specific year group/stage of studies) and then decided whether to apply for either a vac scheme or a training contract - that will vary between firms.

As you wouldn’t be applying until November/December/January, you have plenty of time to get open days/virtual events on your CV.

Thank you so much

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica!

Secondly, how would I approach - 'What are the main challenges you anticipate you may face as a trainee solicitor and how would you approach them'

I would think about my own personal development points that would be of particular importance to develop so I could be a successful trainee and think carefully about how I could be responsible for my own self development and what support I could seek. I would also think about how I have already started to work on those development points.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Flk10

Flk10

Star Member
    Jan 18, 2020
    Hi Jessica,

I’m applying for training contracts commencing in 2022. I’m graduating this summer and planning to work for a year before doing the LPC/SQE in 2021.

I have secured a non-law position starting in August- should I add this to the work experience section of applications or leave it out?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I’m applying for training contracts commencing in 2022. I’m graduating this summer and planning to work for a year before doing the LPC/SQE in 2021.

I have secured a non-law position starting in August- should I add this to the work experience section of applications or leave it out?

Thanks

I’d include the non law position unless it is clear it would be something you had to commit to for a number of years (like a graduate programme).

MFK

Aug 25, 2019
    What are your thoughts on answering this question so far?

I spoke about struggling with public speaking and how I decided to take up mooting next year to become more confident and how I am currently managing academics, part-time work and extracurricular activities to manage working in an intensive environment. However, I was told that my response was answering 'what are your weaknesses and what have you done to overcome them' instead of showing my understanding of the role of a trainee solicitor and how I would approach those struggles in a law firm setting.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I spoke about struggling with public speaking and how I decided to take up mooting next year to become more confident and how I am currently managing academics, part-time work and extracurricular activities to manage working in an intensive environment. However, I was told that my response was answering 'what are your weaknesses and what have you done to overcome them' instead of showing my understanding of the role of a trainee solicitor and how I would approach those struggles in a law firm setting.

yes - you aren’t really focusing on the question. You are looking back too much and not answering what you would do in the role of a trainee. This is a forward looking question, it is not asking you to tell them what you have already done.

Reactions: Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope you are well. I just wondered when you were planning on releasing your virtual vacation scheme tips? My scheme at Gibson Dunn starts in a couple of weeks so if it could be reasonably soon that would be brilliant.

Big thanks for all of your advice so far!

Best wishes,
    Dan
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I'm not sure if you saw this earlier post but I wondered if you were any closer on releasing those virtual vacation scheme tips?

Many thanks and have a good weekend,
    Dan

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.