Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Saksham Malik

Star Member
May 26, 2020
Hi, I was hoping to get guidance on a couple of things:

a. Open Days/Insight days
i. Should I mention these on my CV and Linkedin? If yes, then under work experience or some other section?
ii. With respect to my training contract application as well, does this go in the work experience section or extra-curricular sections?

b. Virtual internships through Inside Sherpa
i. Is it wise to include these in the work experience section of my training contract application? Or should I include it in some other section?
ii. Whether firms actually review the work you have done during the virtual internship? For example, I am applying for a training contract with White & Case and completing their virtual internship, because on their graduate recruitment page, they mention that the internship will show you're interested in the firm.
I am just apprehensive whether an underwhelming performance on the virtual internship will actually hurt my training contract application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I was hoping to get guidance on a couple of things:

a. Open Days/Insight days
i. Should I mention these on my CV and Linkedin? If yes, then under work experience or some other section?
ii. With respect to my training contract application as well, does this go in the work experience section or extra-curricular sections?

b. Virtual internships through Inside Sherpa
i. Is it wise to include these in the work experience section of my training contract application? Or should I include it in some other section?
ii. Whether firms actually review the work you have done during the virtual internship? For example, I am applying for a training contract with White & Case and completing their virtual internship, because on their graduate recruitment page, they mention that the internship will show you're interested in the firm.
I am just apprehensive whether an underwhelming performance on the virtual internship will actually hurt my training contract application?

A) they should definitely be on an application form somewhere. But only put them in a work experience section if you haven’t got more substantial work experience to talk about or you have unlimited work experience entries. Don’t prioritise open days and the like at the cost of a long term part time job or interesting non legal work experience/job. They aren’t ECs though - so don’t put them there. Some people will put them in “extra information” sections or will just reference them in answers to competency/motivational questions.

B) Most Sherpa courses are really a form of e-learning - ie you don’t have any work responsibilities, you are just going through a simulation. Given that, these might be better suited to qualification or academic sections, or again the “extra information” section of applications.

They may review your work from a virtual internship but it’s hard to say whether they will (as it’s more work). It might help/hinder a borderline application, but I doubt it would influence a bad application or a very strong application and make the recruiter see things to opposite way. Generally I would have thought it would be far riskier to not claim the virtual internship rather than to do so.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
How should we go about dealing with vacation schemes that were cancelled this summer due to covid-19 - I'm currently applying to some training contracts but unsure what to put down if I was offered a place on a VS but it was cancelled with no online substitution and therefore actually have no practical experience at all. e.g. I don't have anything to say about what I've learnt from the experience. I am signed up for the Bright Network Online internship but that occurs after the deadline of the TC so should I still put this down in the work experience section? Thank you for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How should we go about dealing with vacation schemes that were cancelled this summer due to covid-19 - I'm currently applying to some training contracts but unsure what to put down if I was offered a place on a VS but it was cancelled with no online substitution and therefore actually have no practical experience at all. e.g. I don't have anything to say about what I've learnt from the experience. I am signed up for the Bright Network Online internship but that occurs after the deadline of the TC so should I still put this down in the work experience section? Thank you for your help!

Cancelled VS are something to put in an “extra information” section.

I personally wouldn’t put the BN internship event in work experience as it isn’t really work experience - more e-learning. I would include it in an application, just not in work experience.

Saksham Malik

Star Member
May 26, 2020
A) they should definitely be on an application form somewhere. But only put them in a work experience section if you haven’t got more substantial work experience to talk about or you have unlimited work experience entries. Don’t prioritise open days and the like at the cost of a long term part time job or interesting non legal work experience/job. They aren’t ECs though - so don’t put them there. Some people will put them in “extra information” sections or will just reference them in answers to competency/motivational questions.

B) Most Sherpa courses are really a form of e-learning - ie you don’t have any work responsibilities, you are just going through a simulation. Given that, these might be better suited to qualification or academic sections, or again the “extra information” section of applications.

They may review your work from a virtual internship but it’s hard to say whether they will (as it’s more work). It might help/hinder a borderline application, but I doubt it would influence a bad application or a very strong application and make the recruiter see things to opposite way. Generally I would have thought it would be far riskier to not claim the virtual internship rather than to do so.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

MM22

May 28, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Hill Dickinson offers training contracts under two broad sectors in its London office. These are healthcare and business/marine. I am primarily interested in the healthcare focused TC and will explain this in the 'Why HD' style question. However, I am also interested in shipping/maritime law and am unsure whether I should also mention this in the 'Why HD' question, seeing as I will only end up doing one of the two routes. Will mentioning my interest in the second type of TC undermine my interest in the first one, or will it be a safer bet to demonstrate my interest in more of the work they cover?

Cheers!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Hill Dickinson offers training contracts under two broad sectors in its London office. These are healthcare and business/marine. I am primarily interested in the healthcare focused TC and will explain this in the 'Why HD' style question. However, I am also interested in shipping/maritime law and am unsure whether I should also mention this in the 'Why HD' question, seeing as I will only end up doing one of the two routes. Will mentioning my interest in the second type of TC undermine my interest in the first one, or will it be a safer bet to demonstrate my interest in more of the work they cover?

Cheers!

Never heard of this approach before - it’s hard to say which is the right approach. Probably something to ask the recruitment team at the firm about

demil111

Jun 28, 2020
Hi Jessica, I am going to apply for a legal professional position at Allen & Overy. I have recently graduated with a 2:1, however, I only have one weeks legal experience from 4 years ago. Furthermore, the only other experience I have is 6 months retail experience from Summer 2018. However, I am currently taking part in virtual vacation schemes. I was just wondering how to stand out in an application due to my lack of experience? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am going to apply for a legal professional position at Allen & Overy. I have recently graduated with a 2:1, however, I only have one weeks legal experience from 4 years ago. Furthermore, the only other experience I have is 6 months retail experience from Summer 2018. However, I am currently taking part in virtual vacation schemes. I was just wondering how to stand out in an application due to my lack of experience? Thank you.

The virtual internships will help. Maybe think about taking on some other forms of e-learning where you can too, to show you are keeping yourself busy over the summer.

Remember to sell other “experiences” such as your extra curriculars and any voluntary roles.

Make sure the rest of your application is as water tight as possible - make sure your written style and motivation is as clear and as accurate as it can be. Get someone else to read through your application as they will spot the errors that you are blind too. My parents still read important documents for me to this day - and I trust them at being able to spot not just language/grammar/typo issues, but also challenge me if I have written something that doesn’t make sense to a layman.

Reactions: demil111 and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jess, I have a TC interview coming up and this is the only indication of what the interview will hold "standard format consisting of behavioural and competency based questions.". Do you believe these are just questions like tell us a time, how do you handle stress etc? @Jessica Booker

It won’t just be competency questions - undoubtedly they will ask you motivational questions too. The behavioural questions also seem to suggest the possibility for strengths based questions too.

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have the following question in my application form: "Is there anything else you would like to add in support of your application?" I am wondering whether it is a good idea to explain a blip from my first year? Or should I just talk about achievements and hobbies, or just leave it empty?
Thank you in advance!

Were there extenuating circumstances to the first year?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Basically, I was juggling full-time work and study and the first year was just overwhelming. Afterwards, I just learned how to manage with everything and my grades improved significantly.(Very good A-levels, 2:2 first year, graduating with 75+ this year)

In this instance, yes I think it is important to explain this in this section. Vast majority of applicants won’t have juggled a full time job and a full time course.

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020
Hi Jessica. Would law firms get concerned if my dissertation or optional modules are not related to commercial law?

I chose philosophy/family law focused optional modules purely because I felt like I would get higher grades in them. Do you think law firms might question my motivation? If they do, is it okay if I be upfront and disclose that it was a strategic move to gain higher marks?
Additionally, do law firms care about law students' dissertation topics at all? Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. Would law firms get concerned if my dissertation or optional modules are not related to commercial law?

I chose philosophy/family law focused optional modules purely because I felt like I would get higher grades in them. Do you think law firms might question my motivation? If they do, is it okay if I be upfront and disclose that it was a strategic move to gain higher marks?
Additionally, do law firms care about law students' dissertation topics at all? Thanks.

Some firms may, but it is going to depend on the relative strength of the rest of the application. If it’s lacking evidence of your interest in commercial matters elsewhere then those module choices could stand out more.

I personally wouldn’t put on an application your reasons for choosing the modules. Possibly one to mention in an interview but you’ll have to spin it in the right way.

They will be interested in why you chose modules/dissertation topics. Anything on your application is fair game - they will want to hear why you make choices.

Reactions: TChopeful2021

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hi Jessica!

I'm really confused about whether I'll need the GDL or not. I'm a non-law student, graduating in 2021, so I assumed I should be applying for 2023 training contracts from this autumn. I thought I'd spend the intervening two years doing the courses/sitting the tests for the SQE. But someone at BPP said I'd still ideally do a GDL before I sat the SQE.

Is that true? Does that mean everything has to be pushed back?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I'm really confused about whether I'll need the GDL or not. I'm a non-law student, graduating in 2021, so I assumed I should be applying for 2023 training contracts from this autumn. I thought I'd spend the intervening two years doing the courses/sitting the tests for the SQE. But someone at BPP said I'd still ideally do a GDL before I sat the SQE.

Is that true? Does that mean everything has to be pushed back?

The GDL won’t be available to you - the last intake for those wanting to be a solicitor will be January 2021.

The likes of BPP will replace the GDL with a prep course (or will just relabel it as such).

The difference with the SQE is that it isn’t compulsory to do any courses before taking the assessments. If you got a TC in the next 12 months, the firm would give you guidance/support on the best way to prepare for the SQE and may have their own agreement with BPP or UoL for prep courses.

Nothing has been pushed back as I understand it - I suspect this is just a BPP sales ploy.

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    The GDL won’t be available to you - the last intake for those wanting to be a solicitor will be January 2021.

The likes of BPP will replace the GDL with a prep course (or will just relabel it as such).

The difference with the SQE is that it isn’t compulsory to do any courses before taking the assessments. If you got a TC in the next 12 months, the firm would give you guidance/support on the best way to prepare for the SQE and may have their own agreement with BPP or UoL for prep courses.

Nothing has been pushed back as I understand it - I suspect this is just a BPP sales ploy.

Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much!

I suspect that the likes of BPP will continue to sell the GDL as they will have to for those wanting to be a barrister. So what they will do is suggest it is a good way to prep for the SQE. That is a very expensive way to prepare for the SQE though....

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.