Online BPP LPC/GDL- Will you still move?

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019
BPP unlike ULaw have decided that for Sept 2020 ; all their courses will begin online virtually. For any future trainees or LPC/GDL'ers are you considering still moving to London/or the city of your course? Or are you planning on just staying at home as the course will be online?

As I'm so unsure myself...the financial benefit of staying at home is swaying me, but also fairly keen to move out now and start my life in the city....

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
BPP unlike ULaw have decided that for Sept 2020 ; all their courses will begin online virtually. For any future trainees or LPC/GDL'ers are you considering still moving to London/or the city of your course? Or are you planning on just staying at home as the course will be online?

As I'm so unsure myself...the financial benefit of staying at home is swaying me, but also fairly keen to move out now and start my life in the city....
I think this is an important post and sadly something I’m not sure about how to answer. I’d be tempted to stay home and maybe speak to my firm if I’m being sponsored about that decision and also BPP. I guess they could speak to the benefits of being close and maybe, in time, the social side to studying and being in a cohort might mean you could feel like you miss out. Having said that, I’ve kind of accepted that sadly this year just won’t be how I imagined and maybe it’ll be the LPC that I get to meet new people and meet new friends. I wonder if the library services that are available to us physically are a matter to consider. I would suspect many things are digitally available and guess the odd train journey to london and a weekend Airbnb (based on how far you are) might be more financially expedient to do work which requires the books themselves than arguably moving here.

sorry I’m not being much help here but I’d be tempted to stay home in all honesty. I live 60 mins away from Waterloo where I’d be studying and can’t see myself going into the capital anytime soon.

Is there a BPP centre nearer to where you’re considering staying home instead where you could be transferred to? Not sure again if this is an option but just something to put out there in case!

Reactions: Mia97

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019

If everything is virtual - there probably isn't a real reason to come to London and pay higher rent, etc. It'd have to be purely based on your desire to be in London for its social experiences. Everything you will need to perform well on the LPC will be made available virtually.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Romiras

Legendary Member
Associate
Apr 3, 2019
I think this is an important post and sadly something I’m not sure about how to answer. I’d be tempted to stay home and maybe speak to my firm if I’m being sponsored about that decision and also BPP. I guess they could speak to the benefits of being close and maybe, in time, the social side to studying and being in a cohort might mean you could feel like you miss out. Having said that, I’ve kind of accepted that sadly this year just won’t be how I imagined and maybe it’ll be the LPC that I get to meet new people and meet new friends. I wonder if the library services that are available to us physically are a matter to consider. I would suspect many things are digitally available and guess the odd train journey to london and a weekend Airbnb (based on how far you are) might be more financially expedient to do work which requires the books themselves than arguably moving here.

sorry I’m not being much help here but I’d be tempted to stay home in all honesty. I live 60 mins away from Waterloo where I’d be studying and can’t see myself going into the capital anytime soon.

Is there a BPP centre nearer to where you’re considering staying home instead where you could be transferred to? Not sure again if this is an option but just something to put out there in case!

No one ever uses the library services - everything will be online / virtual.

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019

Hey thank you for your response! It's nice to hear others thought processes about this. Yes, I agree I think I just need to accept this year is not how we all may have planned. Hard pill to swallow sometimes :( Holborn would be my nearest; I live about 45mins train away so may do the odd weekend airbnb.

It's just a shame I won't get to bond with my cohort before we start next year. BPP also have not been helpful at all, I still don't even know exact term dates, if they will still provide physical books to us, registration cards etc. Oh well, just going to focus on being grateful I have a TC regardless despite all of this and stay positive.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey thank you for your response! It's nice to hear others thought processes about this. Yes, I agree I think I just need to accept this year is not how we all may have planned. Hard pill to swallow sometimes :( Holborn would be my nearest; I live about 45mins train away so may do the odd weekend airbnb.

It's just a shame I won't get to bond with my cohort before we start next year. BPP also have not been helpful at all, I still don't even know exact term dates, if they will still provide physical books to us, registration cards etc. Oh well, just going to focus on being grateful I have a TC regardless despite all of this and stay positive.
You’re absolutely right- it’s definitely good to keep things in perspective and I’m so beyond grateful to have a TC and that I’m able to start my study to enter my dream career with my first choice firm! I think legal practice requires resilience and adaptability so hopefully this just develops us further as people as well in terms of navigating these challenges. I’d hope that we can all maybe commit to trying to get to know each other remotely like maybe doing social things online like quizzes or something instead of maybe going for coffees/other social aspects you’d do in person. I’d definitely be up for suggesting something like that if we all feel the same :) I’ll be doing the PGDL at BPP Waterloo and not sure if you’re doing the same or maybe the LPC since you said Holborn but do keep in touch! :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Mia97 and Daniel Boden

todareistodo

Standard Member
Jul 28, 2020
Im starting the LPC at BPP this September (Holborn campus). Even though its starting online and I will miss some of the social interaction you get with being in the classroom, I think on balance with everything going on right now its given me some certainty for September which is helping me plan and organise.

Hoping that we can all be back in the classroom early October, or at least have the option but appreciate how uncertain things are at the minute.

todareistodo

Standard Member
Jul 28, 2020

Not sure if this helps but just on the materials, I checked with the person I have been dealing with in the Admissions team last week and they have assured me that everyone will be getting physical materials this September ahead of their course.

Reactions: Mia97

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020

Unfortunately, from my experiences, that's something you'll have to get used to with BPP! I had a complete lack of information from them, from start to finish, and their admin is notoriously unreliable - most of my class finished the year with no student ID cards, and that was without a pandemic! As for the cohort, that's a shame, especially as the sponsored students generally seem to bond pretty well, but for the non-sponsored students, I'd say not to worry about missing out on the 'student life' as there isn't much of one amongst general students at BPP. Hope this doesn't sound *too* negative, it's not to put you off them - generally, I'd say the teaching and resources are great, and that's the most important thing IMO, just letting you know that you're not actually missing out on that much!

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
Not sure if this helps but just on the materials, I checked with the person I have been dealing with in the Admissions team last week and they have assured me that everyone will be getting physical materials this September ahead of their course.

Have you been told much about registration, term dates, class schedules etc? Starting the PGDL in September and have heard 0. Well aware that it's a difficult time for them but makes planning living arrangements, work schedule and other things really difficult.

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019
Have you been told much about registration, term dates, class schedules etc? Starting the PGDL in September and have heard 0. Well aware that it's a difficult time for them but makes planning living arrangements, work schedule and other things really difficult.

They have FINALLY released start dates on the VLE. Also I saw on VLE it said registration starts from the 20th July but believe that is for accelerated only as I haven’t heard anything. BPP really are not providing the best impression-just over a month to go and have no formal emails about anything. They have also been super vague about how long online class will last. Quite a contrast to Ulaw, wish sponsored students could pick between the two lol

Also apparently their online classes are 60+ so definitely won’t expect much social interaction there.

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
They have FINALLY released start dates on the VLE. Also I saw on VLE it said registration starts from the 20th July but believe that is for accelerated only as I haven’t heard anything. BPP really are not providing the best impression-just over a month to go and have no formal emails about anything. They have also been super vague about how long online class will last. Quite a contrast to Ulaw, wish sponsored students could pick between the two lol

Also apparently their online classes are 60+ so definitely won’t expect much social interaction there.

Thanks. Is that for the LPC? I’m starting the PGDL in September and there is nothing on VLE.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Such a good idea to set this up! I am not yet going to do my LPC, but I am starting LLM in London in September and while they say that there will be in-person teaching, they also offer online Term 1 for people who are reluctant/cant come to London. While I want to do the LLM partly to get to know other like-minded people & connect with the professors, I decided to do Term 1 online and see how it goes as I dont think there will be that much social interaction anyway so it would justify me spending more money on London rent..

Reactions: KLaw125 and Mia97

todareistodo

Standard Member
    Jul 28, 2020

The Admissions person I spoke to had all of the term dates when I asked and said time tables were due out shortly. I will try and dig out the email. They have been really good to be fair.

todareistodo

Standard Member
    Jul 28, 2020

They assured me that its around 20 in a class as I was concerned about that as well. Good question about the length, never crossed my mind to check this.

Remily

Apr 7, 2020
    BPP have finally released term dates for the PGDL. Its on their website but I still don't have any information in the VLE!

Attachments

• FT+-+Key+Dates+September+2020+and+January+2021+-+PGDL+and+LLM+Law+and+Legal+Practice.pdf
      166 KB · Views: 76

Blue cacti

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 18, 2020
    I’ll be at the Leeds branch of BPP this September studying the PGDL and registration opened about a week ago, but I’m aware London students haven’t received anything about this yet. We were told at the virtual open evening we would be getting access to materials a month before - so hopefully soon!

I am still unsure about moving out. I can see the financial benefits of staying at home but I may be able to focus better somewhere else/it will be good to start this new chapter!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.