Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Travers Smith LLP
    Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy:closed
    Baker McKenzie LLP: only graduates
    Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner: They having some management issues and would consider this aspect
    Latham & Watkins: do not bother mostly VS
    Trowers & Hamlins LLP: direct TC app
    Burges Salmon LLP: they accept direct tc app
    Clyde & Co LLP: only VS
    Gowling: only VS
    RPC: also direct TC app
    Davis Polk & Wardwell London LLP
    CMS: Only VS
    Jones Day: only VS
    Morrison & Foerster (UK) LLP: Only VS
    Dechert LLP: Only VS
    DLA Piper LLP: Only VS
    Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP
    Reed Smith: Mostly VS
    Hogan Lovells: only Birmingham

Reed Smith recruits only from VS as of this cycle

Reactions: anulciak7 and S87

Jean

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks for creating this list!

Does anyone reckon there will be more vacancies for direct TC applications given that most VSs have been pushed back? What about LPC students who are not able to apply for VS due to a clash in their schedules?

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Thanks for creating this list!

Does anyone reckon there will be more vacancies for direct TC applications given that most VSs have been pushed back? What about LPC students who are not able to apply for VS due to a clash in their schedules?

If a firm has pushed back its vacation scheme, it will still recruit mostly from its vacation scheme (if it did so previously). Only the timeline has changed.

Reactions: Jean

meshkat_babiker

May 30, 2020
    I have recently found out that my assessment centre got cancelled and now need to configure a Plan B. I apply for the MENA TC s because I am based in Dubai but am now thinking to apply in the UK. Do I wait for the next cycle or submit to firms that have a deadline in July. The problem with the latter, is I worry my application would be lost at the end and not given equal attention and weight.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    I have recently found out that my assessment centre got cancelled and now need to configure a Plan B. I apply for the MENA TC s because I am based in Dubai but am now thinking to apply in the UK. Do I wait for the next cycle or submit to firms that have a deadline in July. The problem with the latter, is I worry my application would be lost at the end and not given equal attention and weight.

You got nothing to lose by submitting an application late. Late is still better than never.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    I wanted to ask whether people think there is any point in applying directly for TCs at places like covington or kirkland and ellis, I know that they fill most of their training contract through the VS but I missed those deadlines and the VS that I had planned for this summer was cancelled and unfortunately I wasn't able to pass the TC interview. These are a few 'last minute' applications, but was wondering the chances of them even getting back to me, and also whether it will affect an application in the next cycle esp if its so soon for example for the winter vac schemes?

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    I wanted to ask whether people think there is any point in applying directly for TCs at places like covington or kirkland and ellis, I know that they fill most of their training contract through the VS but I missed those deadlines and the VS that I had planned for this summer was cancelled and unfortunately I wasn't able to pass the TC interview. These are a few 'last minute' applications, but was wondering the chances of them even getting back to me, and also whether it will affect an application in the next cycle esp if its so soon for example for the winter vac schemes?

Probably a waste of time to send an application to those kinds of firms you have mentioned above as they almost always exclusively hire from their vacation scheme pool of candidates. For example, I know for a fact after speaking to grad rec at both Skadden and Kirkland that even though they have a direct TC application option, they almost never recruit through this way. This is quite common for US firms with smaller intakes that want to be sure they are recruiting the right people and feel a vacation scheme is the best way to test their candidates to see if they are a right fit for the firm.

It is not too early to be thinking about winter vacation scheme applications. Now is the perfect time to do your research of the firms you want to apply for and build up your commercial awareness. Applications open as early as August for firms like A&O. However, generally speaking, most firms will open their applications in September/October time. Highly recommend you get them in as soon as possible once the applications do officially open as I have a feeling the winter vacation schemes will be a lot more popular/competitive given how some firms have already allocated quite a few places because of cancelling spring and summer schemes (HSF and Hogan Lovells).

I also have a feeling more firms will hold winter vacation schemes than usual due to the fact that the in person spring and summer vac schemes were cancelled this year.

Last edited:

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019

If you believe you're an excellent candidate, then it is always worth applying, even if they primarily select their candidates from their vacation scheme pool.

Reactions: Ifmhouse4

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.