Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I've secured a 3 month internship in the MoJ for this summer but it has now been deferred to next year because of the pandemic. I am currently applying for training contracts in 2022 and was wondering if it is worth mentioning this at any point in the application process?

Thanks!

Yes - definitely worth mentioning in an application somewhere. Probably most suited to an “extra information” section

smith363

Apr 1, 2020
Hi Jessica

I graduated in 2018, worked for a year in law and have just completed my LPC.

I sent a speculative CV and cover letter for a paralegal role at a firm in London and they confirmed they had a role and asked if I wanted to be put forward for it. I confirmed that I did even though its in an area that I dont have any plans to work in in the future however, I thought that due to the current climate I should take any opportunity (especially as this role has not been advertised to the public) and marketed myself in the cover letter saying I wish to broaden my legal knowledge and experience etc. I have now been asked for a 'call zoom call' with the head of department.

Is this an interview? and am I wasting my time going for a role I dont have a desire to work in? I am worried that I will be wasting time but surely any experience as a paralegal is good experience? (I obviously could be surprised and enjoy the work)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

I graduated in 2018, worked for a year in law and have just completed my LPC.

I sent a speculative CV and cover letter for a paralegal role at a firm in London and they confirmed they had a role and asked if I wanted to be put forward for it. I confirmed that I did even though its in an area that I dont have any plans to work in in the future however, I thought that due to the current climate I should take any opportunity (especially as this role has not been advertised to the public) and marketed myself in the cover letter saying I wish to broaden my legal knowledge and experience etc. I have now been asked for a 'call zoom call' with the head of department.

Is this an interview? and am I wasting my time going for a role I dont have a desire to work in? I am worried that I will be wasting time but surely any experience as a paralegal is good experience? (I obviously could be surprised and enjoy the work)

Yes it is an interview - if might just a relatively short one that feels more like a discussion.

It’s not a waste of time unless you have something better to do with your time that is guaranteed right now.

Reactions: smith363

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Hi Jessica, I know this is a bit of a nothingy question, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on how firms assess you. I know it varies, but for example if you missed some stuff out in the interview/gave a fluffy answer are they likely to read it in conjunction with your application and think oh well She didn’t mention that but obviously She has an understanding of X because it is clearly there in her work experience. I know it doesn’t all hinge on one question, and the interview is there for you to sell yourself but would you say they tend to look at things holistically or is it more of a tick box exercise in terms of the interview?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
@Jessica Booker What is your opinion on International applicants applying to firms with as few as 20 TCs which are up for grabs- firms like Bird&Bird, Taylor Wessing etc. I'm afraid that with places so few- the firm might prefer local candidates over International ones because on the Legal Cheek website, one of these firms had a pie chart in which the number of International students were 0.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I know this is a bit of a nothingy question, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on how firms assess you. I know it varies, but for example if you missed some stuff out in the interview/gave a fluffy answer are they likely to read it in conjunction with your application and think oh well She didn’t mention that but obviously She has an understanding of X because it is clearly there in her work experience. I know it doesn’t all hinge on one question, and the interview is there for you to sell yourself but would you say they tend to look at things holistically or is it more of a tick box exercise in terms of the interview?

It would be unlikely an interviewer would rely on detail in an application like you have suggested. If it was important in an interview, you’d need to demonstrate it. If it wasn’t important, they wouldn’t be looking for it in an application post interview. If they thought it was demonstrated enough in an application, they wouldn’t ask you the question in the interview.

An interview is never a “tick boxing exercise” though. If you gave a “non” answer the interviewer would just probe with further questions to ensure the had fully tested the quality or competency they were looking for.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker What is your opinion on International applicants applying to firms with as few as 20 TCs which are up for grabs- firms like Bird&Bird, Taylor Wessing etc. I'm afraid that with places so few- the firm might prefer local candidates over International ones because on the Legal Cheek website, one of these firms had a pie chart in which the number of International students were 0.

You’d need to ask the firm whether they will be willing to apply for a Tier 2 visa on your behalf for a training contract rather than get caught up on these articles/vague stats.

With the 0 international students it depends how they are measuring it. Are these any international students (eg those studying at U.K. institutions + those studying outside of the U.K. vs those just studying outside of the U.K.). If the former, it suggests they don’t apply for Tier 2 visas at all for trainees, if the latter they would struggle to meet the old Tier 2 visa eligibility requirements anyway - so it’s not their choice it is the U.K. governments (although the process is now different).

Even then relying on blunt statistics like this is not a good idea. Maybe the firm doesn’t get many applications from international students.

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
It would be unlikely an interviewer would rely on detail in an application like you have suggested. If it was important in an interview, you’d need to demonstrate it. If it wasn’t important, they wouldn’t be looking for it in an application.

An interview is never a “tick boxing exercise” though. If you gave a “non” answer the interviewer would just probe with further questions to ensure the had fully tested the quality or competency they were looking for.
Ok thank you - I’m probably just overthinking it!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I did look at the government's website - the one which has details on Tier- 2 visa sponsors and some of these firms did have their names there. What I really want to know is that with places so few- 20 TCs offered a year- is there any sort of preference given to Local candidates over International? I mean since these firms are really small and don't care much about being diverse- getting aboard 1 International applicant won't boost their Diversity, but will take away so much in the name of costs, airfares etc. @Jessica Booker
And also in general, what do you feel about applying to firms which have such a small trainee intake-let's say a UK student is asking this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did look at the government's website - the one which has details on Tier- 2 visa sponsors and some of these firms did have their names there. What I really want to know is that with places so few- 20 TCs offered a year- is there any sort of preference given to Local candidates over International? I mean since these firms are really small and don't care much about being diverse- getting aboard 1 International applicant won't boost their Diversity, but will take away so much in the name of costs, airfares etc. @Jessica Booker
And also in general, what do you feel about applying to firms which have such a small trainee intake-let's say a UK student is asking this

just because a firm is on the government list, doesn’t necessarily mean they apply it to training contracts. Applying for visas is 1) expensive (not just the fees but the legal fees associated with it) and 2) there are certain eligibility criteria that for some firms would have meant a TC role would not have been eligible (especially under the old points system). You need to contact firms you are interested in and ask them these questions directly.

Just because a firm is small doesn’t mean they don’t want to be diverse.

Visa don’t apply to U.K. students so the conversation would be very different.

Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Is there any chance you'll be releasing your note on tips for virtual vac schemes? I'm due to start mine next week and would appreciate even a short preview.

Thanks!

On today’s to do list as understand a few people are starting schemes on Monday.

Angiee

Sep 30, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have just heard back from a law firm regarding the next stage of their vac scheme. It is set to include a mark-up and timeline of events exercise and will be 90 mins. I was just wondering whether you had any advice on how to best prepare for these type of exercises or any good resources?
Thank you! :)

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I made a few TC apps whilst being a penultimate year student(for firms who allow second years to apply for TC's)

My concern is, I haven't got the bulk of my grades yet, they come out in the last week of July, whilst most of the firms I applied to have application deadlines in the first two weeks of July.
Would this disadvantage me, or would they go off and assess my app on the basis of my 1st year, and so far obtained 2nd year grades?

Thank you :)

Edit: So far, the firms I applied to includes Freshfields, and Slaughter & May, and Baker McKenzie.. if anyone has any knowledge how these firms approach the issue above, let me know please!

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I made a few TC apps whilst being a penultimate year student(for firms who allow second years to apply for TC's)

My concern is, I haven't got the bulk of my grades yet, they come out in the last week of July, whilst most of the firms I applied to have application deadlines in the first two weeks of July.
Would this disadvantage me, or would they go off and assess my app on the basis of my 1st year, and so far obtained 2nd year grades?

Edit: So far, the firms I applied to includes Freshfields, and Slaughter & May, and Baker McKenzie.. if anyone has any knowledge how these firms approach the issue above, let me know please!

You can always email grad rec with your 2nd year results once they come out. Some apps also allow you to add additional info once the initial app has been submitted, but off the top of my head I don’t remember if the firms you’ve listed allow this.

• ℹ️
Reactions: dosblancos7

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
You can always email grad rec with your 2nd year results once they come out. Some apps also allow you to add additional info once the initial app has been submitted, but off the top of my head I don’t remember if the firms you’ve listed allow this.
Freshfields do so, but , their deadline is 16th July, where I still wouldn't get my results.

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Freshfields do so, but , their deadline is 16th July, where I still wouldn't get my results.

Freshfields is a bit odd in that it allows you to edit and re-submit up to the deadline. I meant situations where you’ve submitted the main application but you can still add additional info through the portal. Again, if this is not an option, sending a quick email over should be fine.

The app process for most firms will extend weeks, if not months, after the deadline, so the fact that your results come out at the end of July shouldn’t be a problem. Just let the firm know when you can.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Freshfields is a bit odd in that it allows you to edit and re-submit up to the deadline. I meant situations where you’ve submitted the main application but you can still add additional info through the portal. Again, if this is not an option, sending a quick email over should be fine.

The app process for most firms will extend weeks, if not months, after the deadline, so the fact that your results come out at the end of July shouldn’t be a problem. Just let the firm know when you can.

Yeah I suppose so! E-mail may be the only way to do so- thank you!

• 🤝
Reactions: hktr

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

This was common even before covid. Apply before the deadline with the information you have, explain what dates you will have your results on your application and if you have any predicted grades, provide them (not your predicted grades/expectations, but your university's).

Send your results via email when you have them if you cannot amend/update your application after submission.

• ℹ️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.