Free TLP Video interview simulator

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Probably a good idea to keep all the video interview tips in one place for future students. Here is Jaysen's tips in a past thread, anyone else please feel free to add!
  • Check the set-up beforehand. Make sure you're in a well-lit room with a clear background. Test your mic and your webcam.
  • Dress appropriately - not necessarily super formal but I wouldn't go for shorts and a t-shirt.
  • Practice projecting your voice. Speak loudly and clearly. Make sure it can be heard clearly on the other end.
  • Look at the webcam when you speak and not yourself/the screen (this can take a bit of practice!). On this, it helps to put the webcam at eye-level.
  • Treat it like you would a normal interview. Usually, the questions won't be too difficult but practice the typical - why commercial law, why this firm, a few competencies and a commercial question.
  • So practice answers to these questions and practice speaking them aloud, ideally to someone else on Skype to test how you sound.
  • If you stumble during the video interview, don't worry, recruiters know you'll be nervous. Pause, take a deep breath and re-start.
  • Likewise, if you mess up on the first question, don't worry, just recompose yourself for the rest. These things happen.
  • There's usually a time limit, so try to keep to 2-3 answers per question. Practice timing yourself - answering those questions in 60/90 seconds.
  • Keep your answers to the point. Unlike a face to face interview, the partners don't have the opportunity to interrogate you further, so your answers should stand on their own.
  • If it's the same structure, you should have time between the questions to write down notes. So keep a pen and paper with you. Keep your notes brief.
  • Practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: Salma

Leke

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 24, 2018
Probably a good idea to keep all the video interview tips in one place for future students. Here is Jaysen's tips in a past thread, anyone else please feel free to add!
  • Check the set-up beforehand. Make sure you're in a well-lit room with a clear background. Test your mic and your webcam.
  • Dress appropriately - not necessarily super formal but I wouldn't go for shorts and a t-shirt.
  • Practice projecting your voice. Speak loudly and clearly. Make sure it can be heard clearly on the other end.
  • Look at the webcam when you speak and not yourself/the screen (this can take a bit of practice!). On this, it helps to put the webcam at eye-level.
  • Treat it like you would a normal interview. Usually, the questions won't be too difficult but practice the typical - why commercial law, why this firm, a few competencies and a commercial question.
  • So practice answers to these questions and practice speaking them aloud, ideally to someone else on Skype to test how you sound.
  • If you stumble during the video interview, don't worry, recruiters know you'll be nervous. Pause, take a deep breath and re-start.
  • Likewise, if you mess up on the first question, don't worry, just recompose yourself for the rest. These things happen.
  • There's usually a time limit, so try to keep to 2-3 answers per question. Practice timing yourself - answering those questions in 60/90 seconds.
  • Keep your answers to the point. Unlike a face to face interview, the partners don't have the opportunity to interrogate you further, so your answers should stand on their own.
  • If it's the same structure, you should have time between the questions to write down notes. So keep a pen and paper with you. Keep your notes brief.
  • Practice, practice, practice.
Hey Nicole,
No problem! I will change the name of the thread to prevent confusion. Sorry!
Best regards,
Leke

tylergab

Junior Lawyer
Sep 7, 2018
I completed my White & Case vac scheme video interview over the weekend and some of the resources I used to practice are:

- QuickTime Player which is free on mac.
- Natwest Pitch App which is free from the Apple Store. This offers a clear structure and encourages you to get to the point when delivering your answers.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: PO499 and Jaysen

PO499

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Oct 22, 2018
I completed my White & Case vac scheme video interview over the weekend and some of the resources I used to practice are:

- QuickTime Player which is free on mac.
- Natwest Pitch App which is free from the Apple Store. This offers a clear structure and encourages you to get to the point when delivering your answers.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this @tylergab ! Was wondering if you had any other general tips for the White & Case VI that you'd be willing to share?

tylergab

Junior Lawyer
Sep 7, 2018
Yeah, of course, @Pat499 It is relatively straightforward you have 15 seconds to 'prepare' after you're asked a simulated question and 90 seconds to answer. You'll be asked 3 questions: one competency, one commercial and one about the firm so I would just say the 90 seconds goes quite fast so when prepping, for example, your why w&c answer try to structure your points, prepare for a range of competencies and have a few commercial topics you feel comfortable talking about.

I was also invited for an interview (waiting to hear back) so just let me know if you need any tips for the interview

Best of luck!

• 🏆
Reactions: PO499, Daniel Boden and Jaysen

PO499

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, of course, @Pat499 It is relatively straightforward you have 15 seconds to 'prepare' after you're asked a simulated question and 90 seconds to answer. You'll be asked 3 questions: one competency, one commercial and one about the firm so I would just say the 90 seconds goes quite fast so when prepping, for example, your why w&c answer try to structure your points, prepare for a range of competencies and have a few commercial topics you feel comfortable talking about.

I was also invited for an interview (waiting to hear back) so just let me know if you need any tips for the interview

Best of luck!
Thanks so much!

PO499

Standard Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Oct 22, 2018

Best of luck!

Hi again! I just heard back, and have been invited for an interview at the end of this week! So I would like you take you up on any tips you would be willing to offer re the interview?? Thank you so much in advance! :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Reactions: PO499

SA195

May 10, 2020

Best of luck!
    Hi Tylergab! I was wondering what kind of commercial question you were asked? Was it broader such as 'speak about a recent news story' or was it more specific? Would really appreciate any guidance! Thanks very much and have a wonderful day!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.