Any Ulaw undergrads with a TC?

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
I’m feeling super down atm and wondering if I have made a mistake with my undergraduate university. I achieved ABB at A-level (2 marks off AAB) but I have genuine extenuating circumstances as I was being tested for crohn’s disease during my a levels. I had offers from RG unis but I had my heart set on the university of law and that’s where I currently attend. I have nothing bad to say about uni, my lectures are never cancelled and the quality of teaching is good. However, I haven’t seen/ know anyone who has landed a TC and studied undergrad at ULAW? I also am wondering if this is a big factor in my failure to obtain a TC this year.. does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I worry so much I won’t be able to land my dream TC because of my uni choice :(

• 🤝
Reactions: NMD

Lr1

May 8, 2020
There might be questions about your grades. Oxbridge, Durham and the strong London universities are hard, no one gets over 80% as that’s of publishable quality. Also, they tend to teach law for the sake of law and not a career, really learning about jurisprudence etc which really helps you think and develop reasoning skills- which firms like. Make sure you get a first at ULaw, that will help, though I’m sure you’ll have to explain to firms why you went to Ulaw instead of a regular university. Typically people go to ULaw because they have missed offers, instead of by choice.

Hope this helps.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
There might be questions about your grades. Oxbridge, Durham and the strong London universities are hard, no one gets over 80% as that’s of publishable quality. Also, they tend to teach law for the sake of law and not a career, really learning about jurisprudence etc which really helps you think and develop reasoning skills- which firms like. Make sure you get a first at ULaw, that will help, though I’m sure you’ll have to explain to firms why you went to Ulaw instead of a regular university. Typically people go to ULaw because they have missed offers, instead of by choice.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for replying. That I what I have gathered since being there, some people’s grades are in the 80/90% and I think surely something isn’t right? Plus a lot of people’s A-levels are very low. Just feel like an idiot for falling for the trap of “very well known” etc.. just really wish I went with my RG offers that I had.
Many thanks!

NMD

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
I don’t know what stage you’re at but if you’re feeling really really bad about it, I had friends who dropped out and moved to other unis and things like that. It’s quite a difficult move and a brave one, but they are all so glad they did it! Nothing in life is fixed and you’ve always got wiggle room for things. I haven’t personally heard of anyone going to the university of law for undergrad but if you do something special there, that would also make you stand out! Or just think of ways you could justify it, leverage all opportunities unique from your uni. You could start an undergraduate society, or take leadership roles, go to loads of firm events, webinars! There are other things that can help you stand out other than your degree. Try not to be too hard on yourself though, life does eventually have a funny way of working itself out :)!!

Reactions: Law2022 and Daniel Boden

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
I don’t know what stage you’re at but if you’re feeling really really bad about it, I had friends who dropped out and moved to other unis and things like that. It’s quite a difficult move and a brave one, but they are all so glad they did it! Nothing in life is fixed and you’ve always got wiggle room for things. I haven’t personally heard of anyone going to the university of law for undergrad but if you do something special there, that would also make you stand out! Or just think of ways you could justify it, leverage all opportunities unique from your uni. You could start an undergraduate society, or take leadership roles, go to loads of firm events, webinars! There are other things that can help you stand out other than your degree. Try not to be too hard on yourself though, life does eventually have a funny way of working itself out :)!!
Thank you for replying. I will be going into my third year in September so I do think it is too late to start looking elsewhere. Thank you for your kind words, they have really cheered me up. As long as I make the most of my time there, I guess I will stand a chance.
Thanks so much :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Nat000

Zaynob

Standard Member
Mar 23, 2020
I am an undergraduate Ulaw student just finished in May. I chose Ulaw as my second option.
I got BBC for my Alevels - clearly not the highest grades. I also thought that the uni was going to harm my possibilities of getting a VC or TC but then I realise that you make your own luck. You can't change your university anymore so there is no point worrying over it now. I received a VC offer despite my low Alevels and the uni from a silver circle firm - and guess what I fumbled the bag. I didn't get an offer because of my performance on the day nothing else.
I doubt if you have great extra-curricular etc and great potential to be a great lawyer they would not offer you a TC because of your uni, to be honest.
I think TC's are just hard to get for everyone - I guess we just have to find the right firm and work hard.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
I am an undergraduate Ulaw student just finished in May. I chose Ulaw as my second option.
I got BBC for my Alevels - clearly not the highest grades. I also thought that the uni was going to harm my possibilities of getting a VC or TC but then I realise that you make your own luck. You can't change your university anymore so there is no point worrying over it now. I received a VC offer despite my low Alevels and the uni from a silver circle firm - and guess what I fumbled the bag. I didn't get an offer because of my performance on the day nothing else.
I doubt if you have great extra-curricular etc and great potential to be a great lawyer they would not offer you a TC because of your uni, to be honest.
I think TC's are just hard to get for everyone - I guess we just have to find the right firm and work hard.
Thank you for replying. Well done on your VS offer, that’s such an achievement! You have definitely given me some reassurance so thank you. Just have to never give up and be determined and I guess anything is possible! Not as if ULaw is terrible or anything.
Good luck in the future :)

Reactions: Zaynob

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I’m really sorry to hear that you are feeling this way but one thing I do wish to draw attention to are your A levels! They’re good grades for sure and so I think that certainly stands in your favour. I wonder if attending webinars and trying to speak to grad rec might help because you can ask them about this question and hopefully get their reassurances that having your undergrad at U Law won’t matter much, it’ll be the grades they’ll look to assess. I also agree with the point above about making your own luck and think sometimes having the belief that something is a barrier can stop you applying and performing at your best. Try to alter your mindset about your choice of uni and please don’t frame it as a hinderance to your candidacy as I really don’t think it is. Make your apps, explaining the mitigating circumstances and just see where you get! Loads of people from Oxbridge and other RG universities still struggle to get TCs for all kinds of reasons, this process isn’t easy for anyone I don’t think. But the key thing is you have to be ‘in it to win it’ so to speak so please make your apps, tell your story, and have faith that TCs do come with perseverance and hard work :)

Reactions: Law2022 and Daniel Boden

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
I’m really sorry to hear that you are feeling this way but one thing I do wish to draw attention to are your A levels! They’re good grades for sure and so I think that certainly stands in your favour. I wonder if attending webinars and trying to speak to grad rec might help because you can ask them about this question and hopefully get their reassurances that having your undergrad at U Law won’t matter much, it’ll be the grades they’ll look to assess. I also agree with the point above about making your own luck and think sometimes having the belief that something is a barrier can stop you applying and performing at your best. Try to alter your mindset about your choice of uni and please don’t frame it as a hinderance to your candidacy as I really don’t think it is. Make your apps, explaining the mitigating circumstances and just see where you get! Loads of people from Oxbridge and other RG universities still struggle to get TCs for all kinds of reasons, this process isn’t easy for anyone I don’t think. But the key thing is you have to be ‘in it to win it’ so to speak so please make your apps, tell your story, and have faith that TCs do come with perseverance and hard work :)
Thank you for your reassurance. You have made me feel a lot better! You’re right, the process isn’t easy for anybody and with dedication anything is possible! You have motivated me to keep trying and just to embrace the decision I made. I have finished second year with an average of 69.6% so I think I’ll just focus on doing well in my exams and doing as many extra curricular opportunities as possible. Thanks so much!! :)

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you for your reassurance. You have made me feel a lot better! You’re right, the process isn’t easy for anybody and with dedication anything is possible! You have motivated me to keep trying and just to embrace the decision I made. I have finished second year with an average of 69.6% so I think I’ll just focus on doing well in my exams and doing as many extra curricular opportunities as possible. Thanks so much!! :)
That’s amazing! Congratulations and that definitely sounds like a great plan and course of action :) :) never hesitate to reach out if you feel like this again, I’ve had my ups and downs as we all have and always here to support and offer a word of advice when you need :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Law2022

agjagah

Jul 7, 2020
I’m feeling super down atm and wondering if I have made a mistake with my undergraduate university. I achieved ABB at A-level (2 marks off AAB) but I have genuine extenuating circumstances as I was being tested for crohn’s disease during my a levels. I had offers from RG unis but I had my heart set on the university of law and that’s where I currently attend. I have nothing bad to say about uni, my lectures are never cancelled and the quality of teaching is good. However, I haven’t seen/ know anyone who has landed a TC and studied undergrad at ULAW? I also am wondering if this is a big factor in my failure to obtain a TC this year.. does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I worry so much I won’t be able to land my dream TC because of my uni choice :(

Hey there, I'm a ULaw undergrad at the moment who shared very similar fears when I joined, especially knowing that my friends were at Russell Groups getting grad jobs. I got the same A levels as you and also had to join due to personal circumstances, which negatively impacted my mental health. It was demoralising to think that I was on the backfoot, especially since I didn't know where to start. I also think the standard of teaching at ULaw is underrated, with lots of practical knowledge being tailored into the course which I actually enjoy. Could definitely have more career events and such, but overall a good uni.

I spent the last year really committing to firm events, mentoring schemes and just developing myself as a candidate (little bit every day goes a long way). As a result, I've managed to get 3 vacation schemes this year (one of which is silver circle) and have got a TC interview next week, which I genuinely did not think was possible at all at the start of the year. At my assessment centres, I was the only person who wasn't from a Russell Group and often one of the only non-white people, but you just have to trust in your abilities as a candidate and know that you have a lot to offer! Firms are becoming increasingly aware of recruiting diverse talent, which means casting the net wider to universities for talent that they might not previously have considered. Being a top class student at ULaw means you're a top class candidate in with a strong work ethic and commitment to the law, so please don't feel discouraged as studying law is hard everywhere!

My advice, which my personal tutor gave me at the start of this year, is to do everything that you possibly can to be a better candidate. Being more commercially aware, knowing which practice areas you like and what challenges they face and how the role of a lawyer is changing are examples of things you can do. Connecting with people on LinkedIn and meeting for coffees with lawyers who are happy to help. Being disciplined and doing little bits every day will accumulate into huge change from where you started, provided you give it your best shot. If you don't leave a stone unturned, chances are you'll be exactly what a law firm will be looking for. Glass ceilings are made of glass for a reason, because they are made to be broken.

Hope this helps, keep faith x

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey there, I'm a ULaw undergrad at the moment who shared very similar fears when I joined, especially knowing that my friends were at Russell Groups getting grad jobs. I got the same A levels as you and also had to join due to personal circumstances, which negatively impacted my mental health. It was demoralising to think that I was on the backfoot, especially since I didn't know where to start. I also think the standard of teaching at ULaw is underrated, with lots of practical knowledge being tailored into the course which I actually enjoy. Could definitely have more career events and such, but overall a good uni.

I spent the last year really committing to firm events, mentoring schemes and just developing myself as a candidate (little bit every day goes a long way). As a result, I've managed to get 3 vacation schemes this year (one of which is silver circle) and have got a TC interview next week, which I genuinely did not think was possible at all at the start of the year. At my assessment centres, I was the only person who wasn't from a Russell Group and often one of the only non-white people, but you just have to trust in your abilities as a candidate and know that you have a lot to offer! Firms are becoming increasingly aware of recruiting diverse talent, which means casting the net wider to universities for talent that they might not previously have considered. Being a top class student at ULaw means you're a top class candidate in with a strong work ethic and commitment to the law, so please don't feel discouraged as studying law is hard everywhere!

My advice, which my personal tutor gave me at the start of this year, is to do everything that you possibly can to be a better candidate. Being more commercially aware, knowing which practice areas you like and what challenges they face and how the role of a lawyer is changing are examples of things you can do. Connecting with people on LinkedIn and meeting for coffees with lawyers who are happy to help. Being disciplined and doing little bits every day will accumulate into huge change from where you started, provided you give it your best shot. If you don't leave a stone unturned, chances are you'll be exactly what a law firm will be looking for. Glass ceilings are made of glass for a reason, because they are made to be broken.

This is such an amazing post and I’m wishing you all the luck in the world for your TC interview next week, you truly deserve every success! :)

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020

Wow, what an amazing and inspirational post! Thank you very much for replying. I am so glad that I have come across someone in the same position as me, knowing that we are in this together has motivated me even more to just get on with it and work so hard to achieve my goals.
I completely agree with what you have said- the teaching is definitely underrated, and I really enjoy the practical approach also. I really do think it is a good uni, but more careers events would make it even better. Firms are definitely more open minded I think nowadays, there is more to being a lawyer than where you completed your LLB.

Congrats on your vac schemes and TC interview, I have my fingers crossed for you and I have a good feeling that you will succeed. You have encouraged me to be the best possible candidate I can be to ensure I secure my TC. Perseverance and dedication are so important!! I completely agree with that you have said- glass ceilings are made to be broken.

I wish you the best of luck in your interview and in the future, give it your best shot and the possibilities are endless. Let me know how you get on.

Thanks so much & god bless.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.