General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Has anyone who applied direct for a TC heard anything from Macfarlanes or Travers Smith? I applied sometime late last year for both and other than an email from TS saying 'we are still considering your application' I haven't heard anything.

No information from Macfarlanes yet, I think someone else mentioned they'd get back to us after the VS (which should be taking place right around now, or maybe in the next few weeks or so). So August / September is where I'd realistically expect any info. Hope that helps!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    No information from Macfarlanes yet, I think someone else mentioned they'd get back to us after the VS (which should be taking place right around now, or maybe in the next few weeks or so). So August / September is where I'd realistically expect any info. Hope that helps!

Yes, I think it is taking place right now, actually - I have a mate who's on the Virtual VS for Macs. So your comment would make sense.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Reactions: OB and Jaysen

KerC14

Valued Member
    Jan 26, 2020
    With the risk of sounding like a broken record, anyone heard anything from Blake Morgan post application for direct TC? Getting antsy

Also has anyone got any experience with the Government legal profession SJT test?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited:

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    CC have been in a transitional period for some time. For example - they remain the only 'large' firm to recruit candidates from the first year of Uni. They are going even further than that now with their apprenticeships. I presume their strategy is to try and "snap up" the "top talent" as early as possible. The other firms will likely monitor their own intakes to see whether there is a noticeable drop in competency. Given the breadth of quality out there though, I highly doubt it.

Anecdotally, I know quite a few candidates who completed SPARK in Year 1, were offered their TC, and subsequently turned it down having received alternative offers.

Reactions: Mia97, W and S87

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Has anyone who applied direct for a TC heard anything from Macfarlanes or Travers Smith? I applied sometime late last year for both and other than an email from TS saying 'we are still considering your application' I haven't heard anything.

I believe TS said that due to the high level of applications this cycle (from October 2019), they will now only be offering further review of applications and interview invitations after the closing date!

man063

Aug 23, 2019
    Has anyone who received a WG invite from Bakers actually been sent the test? I got my invite on Friday which said the test would be sent within a few working days but I still haven't got anything.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    With the risk of sounding like a broken record, anyone heard anything from Blake Morgan post application for direct TC? Getting antsy

Also has anyone got any experience with the Government legal profession SJT test?
    I just completed the GLP SJT and it was pretty straightforward and nothing really to stress about!

O

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Has anyone who received a WG invite from Bakers actually been sent the test? I got my invite on Friday which said the test would be sent within a few working days but I still haven't got anything.

Same here. Got the invite email on Friday too.

Reactions: man063

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I believe TS said that due to the high level of applications this cycle (from October 2019), they will now only be offering further review of applications and interview invitations after the closing date!

Yikes. That doesn't sound good. I only chose to apply direct TC because on its recruitment literature TS said in practice it did not differentiate between VS and direct TC applicants and I just wanted to get on with it! Thanks for the heads up though!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.