Submitting a last minute application. Will it be considered?

Lawz

Standard Member
Jan 11, 2020
Today, I submitted my Foot Anstey application for the 2021 training contract. Although the deadline was today, the portal still let me submit the application. I am just hoping that my application gets considered, but I got an email which read:

"Thank you for applying for our vacation scheme/training contract. Applications for our vacation scheme will close and be reviewed from 1 April 2020 and applications for our training contracts will close and be reviewed from 1 June 2020. We aim to provide you with an update within two weeks of these dates."

This was the first training contract application I have submitted (ever).

I presume they are recruiting on a rolling basis because it says on their site now that the new deadline is 31 December 2020 but on the drop down box it still allows you to select the 2021 training contract option.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, it mostly likely will be reviewed.

If for any reason it isn’t why does it matter? You’ve submitted it now.

Nat

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Hi everyone

I wanted to ask your opinion on last minute TC applications (applying now with the deadline being 31 July) - has anyone applied that late and was successful?

I have made various applications already and I am waiting to hear back but I am thinking I should be making more as there is still time?

Many thanks
N

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone

I wanted to ask your opinion on last minute TC applications (applying now with the deadline being 31 July) - has anyone applied that late and was successful?

I have made various applications already and I am waiting to hear back but I am thinking I should be making more as there is still time?

Many thanks
N

31st July is 4 working weeks away. Most firms won't even have had most of their applications by now.

Make applications if you have time and if there are firms you truly want to work for. Don't just make applications for the sake of it, and don't give up on applying as there is some warped perception that now is too late - it isn't. Too late will be the 1 August 2020.

Mo M

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    Hi everyone

Many thanks
    N

I have submitted last minute TC/ Vac scheme apps and have gotten interview invite. just make sure if you are applying the standard of the app is still good and does not read as if it has been rushed. Try looking at firms that do not have a rolling deadline.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Zoo and Nat

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Today, I submitted my Foot Anstey application for the 2021 training contract. Although the deadline was today, the portal still let me submit the application. I am just hoping that my application gets considered, but I got an email which read:

"Thank you for applying for our vacation scheme/training contract. Applications for our vacation scheme will close and be reviewed from 1 April 2020 and applications for our training contracts will close and be reviewed from 1 June 2020. We aim to provide you with an update within two weeks of these dates."

This was the first training contract application I have submitted (ever).

I presume they are recruiting on a rolling basis because it says on their site now that the new deadline is 31 December 2020 but on the drop down box it still allows you to select the 2021 training contract option.

Hi, yes I applied to several firms a few hours before the deadline and still recieved 2 AC invites, even though they were rolling :) Just submit your applications. All the best! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Nat

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Absolutely!

Be sure to check the up-to-date list on TCLA that shows what firms recruit on a rolling basis. Those firms you'll likely see less success with.

Reactions: Nat

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Absolutely!

Be sure to check the up-to-date list on TCLA that shows what firms recruit on a rolling basis. Those firms you'll likely see less success with.

I’d say this is only the case if you apply in the last week of an application window. Vast majority of applications will come in right near the deadline... application numbers are exponential right up until the deadline.

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I’d say this is only the case if you apply in the last week of an application window. Vast majority of applications will come in right near the deadline... application numbers are exponential right up until the deadline.

I believe Paul from S&S posts a graph on Linkedin that shows this to the extreme, it looked as if 50%+ of all applications are received on the last day!

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I believe Paul from S&S posts a graph on Linkedin that shows this to the extreme, it looked as if 50%+ of all applications are received on the last day!

that’s pretty standard for most firms. From my experience, it used to be about a third of applications in the last day of an application window (and this is even with rolling recruiters too) so it would easily be over 50% in the last week.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.