Commercial Awareness Discussion Thread

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Furthermore, in another interesting article today, BNP Paribas has been featured as an investment bank that is really seeking to try and dominate Europe's investment banking space. This is a strategy which has been cursed with banks such as Nomura, RBS and Deutsche all seeking to try and control the European investment banking market in recent years but failing to do so.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in future months and years as the US powerhouses such as Goldman, Citi, JP Morgan Chase etc. could easily return to Europe when markets have stabilised post-COVID-19, just as they did after the last economic crisis.

See more below:

Can BNP Paribas beat the investment banking jinx?
    https://www.ft.com/content/75b26843-560c-4248-bde2-cf11b007be41

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Apologies for the late stories today guys, my Gibson Dunn resources arrived today and I got a bit distracted! This will be my last day posting for the next two weeks as I start my scheme just so you are all aware.

Further to yesterday's story regarding Daimler's restructuring, today it has been announced that Daimler is to take a stake in a Chinese battery manufacturer, Farasis, indicating that it is pursuing a new direction in electronic or hybrid cars which it hopes will boost its profitability in the future.

See more below:

Daimler to take stake in Chinese battery cell maker Farasis
    https://www.ft.com/content/baf2f5d9-a485-4e3a-9412-14d7c89c5ed9
    Good luck with your vacation scheme, @Daniel Boden! I am sure you'll do well!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

EEE

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 4, 2019
    Thanks for your question!

I can't say I'm all too familiar with PE Real Estate specifically but I would assume that the PE Real Estate industry could have a fair few opportunities in the next few months due to the fact that house prices have fallen significantly due to COVID-19. Equally, the fact that the BoE Base Rate is now at a record-low means that debt finance would be incredibly cheap and so PE firms would be able to continue to leverage their transactions with a high amount of debt at a very minimal cost and then load this debt onto the target company/acquisition as has occurred in recent years.

I hope that helps? Feel free to ask if you have any other queries :)

Thank you, Daniel!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
    Oct 18, 2019
    This is a good point. In addition Intu- the shopping centre giant has entered administration and was struggling with a large debt pre COVID due to the general declining value of shopping centres. Worth looking into the story which concerns fall in rent collection for retail landlords as well as a change in shopping habits accelerated by the pandemic. Online sales reached a record high and there is a general “fall out of love” with the glossy sterile shopping centre. Intu is facing a regeneration challenge like no other.

This article below is really useful in outlining the process of a company going into administration if anyone wants to know more about it:

https://companieshouse.blog.gov.uk/2019/02/27/what-does-going-into-administration-mean/

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Does anyone know of any companies that have been doing really well lately and have shown flexibility in these challenging times? (Not Zoom plzz) thank you!
    Yes I think ikea did better than they expected and it reshaping its business model (more online retail but still with in store experiences)
    Another successful business is bohoo (I can’t remember how to spell it).
    Primark business model has been a total failure and already lost millions.

Reactions: STWO

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Does anyone know of any companies that have been doing really well lately and have shown flexibility in these challenging times? (Not Zoom plzz) thank you!

Hi, companies in gaming, pharmaceuticals and e-commerce have done well. The coronavirus pandemic helped boost Nintendo Switch sales to record levels, with sales having been doubled in March 2020 compared to the same month in 2019 (I am very guilty of this :D)!

You can also add video-streaming services, such as Netflix to the list.

Reactions: Holly, STWO and Jaysen

Mjames12

Sep 4, 2019
    The FT currently has a really interesting series at the moment called 'companies prospering in the pandemic'. It provides a detailed analysis of what companies/sectors have flourished during the pandemic and will more than answer your question. I would recommend checking it out.

https://www.ft.com/content/844ed28c-8074-4856-bde0-20f3bf4cd8f0

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Can someone help me gain a better understanding of this FT article relating to debt capital markets: https://www.ft.com/content/bcebd77c-057b-4fd0-bd99-b97e0e559455?

I struggle to understand in what way the Calabrian ’Ndrangheta mafia group is involved with the bonds that purchased by Banca Generali. The article mentions that the bonds were bought by international investors between 2015 and 2019. So how did they end up with the mafia group? Another question I have is who should be paying back the bonds to Banca Generali? My understanding is that Italian public health authorities are waiting to be paid by companies providing medical services to them. They will later use that income to pay the bonds. Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your help!

halftime

Standard Member
    Sep 11, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Can someone help me gain a better understanding of this FT article relating to debt capital markets: https://www.ft.com/content/bcebd77c-057b-4fd0-bd99-b97e0e559455?

I struggle to understand in what way the Calabrian ’Ndrangheta mafia group is involved with the bonds that purchased by Banca Generali. The article mentions that the bonds were bought by international investors between 2015 and 2019. So how did they end up with the mafia group? Another question I have is who should be paying back the bonds to Banca Generali? My understanding is that Italian public health authorities are waiting to be paid by companies providing medical services to them. They will later use that income to pay the bonds. Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi – I’m not sure if you are familiar with securitisation but I think it is pretty key to understanding this story. I’m certainly no expert but my understanding of the answers to your questions would be as follows:

The mafia group are involved with the bonds through their connection to companies providing some of the underlying assets backing the bonds. The bonds in this instance are asset-backed securities – i.e. securities which pay out from a pool of underlying assets. In this particular case the underlying assets are accounts receivables – money owed to various companies by the Italian public health authorities for providing medical services (though I can understand why you might interpret it as being the other way around from reading the FT article). The controversial issue here is that some of the receivables which make up the portfolio of assets backing the bonds have been provided by companies which are actually front companies being used by the mafia group for illegal activities. To be clear, the mafia group do not own the bonds.

With regard to payment, the bonds are paid by a special purpose vehicle (SPV) which holds the underlying assets and issues the bonds. Put simply, as the underlying unpaid invoices are settled by the Italian public health authorities, this cash flows through the SPV and is paid to the bondholders.

Hopefully I have explained it a little better but if not feel free to drop me a message!

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Hi friends, I was wondering what key things we should know in relation to the oil and energy sector? I'm aware of the Paris Agreement, and the Russia-Saudi Arabia oil war. Are there any other topical issues/recent developments that may be worth reading on?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
    Jul 29, 2018
    Also, was reported on FT just a few hours ago - following security and data concerns, Amazon has asked its employees to remove TikTok from its devices. TikTok's popularity exploded during the pandemic and is roughly valued at $75bn, making it one of the most valuable start-ups in the world, but there are currently concerns about how data is handled by TikTok, thus triggering the action by Amazon:
    (https://www.ft.com/content/3f73c7c7-1516-4486-a8ac-8d2f564fa74a).

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi All, anyone know whether to subscribe to FT or the Economist? I'm mainly curious which has more analysis in the article rather than just simply stating a story.
    I'd go FT personally. The 'Lex' feature they do, in conjunction with the 'Due Diligence' newsletter is really excellent in my opinion. I'm pretty sure the FT is cheaper as well (at least if you're a student)?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A good snapshot of the recent antitrust hearings with the Big Tech firms:

If anyone watched this, would be curious to hear you felt the different tech founders held up!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NourJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.