Applying for TC after VS rejection?

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Is it worth applying for the TC after I was rejected following the vac scheme assessment centre at Freshfields just February this year? In my feedback they said my competency interview was good but the case study one, my answers could have been more detailed.
Or do you think it’s better to wait till next year? Does anyone know if they have any limits on how many times you can apply? Because if it’s just one, I don’t want to blow it when I could work on my application more next year...

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Firms often limit you to one app per cycle. They usually make this clear during the process. Re-check the website to see if it says. If not, drop GR a message at FF.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Yes, so a "cycle" is generally one application year. You need to decide what you are going to apply for, and you essentially have one shot. I'd say that if you have been unsuccessful for a VS this cycle, you'd likely be unsuccessful for a TC with that same firm. This is because the quality of an applicant who receives a TC offer should be theoretically higher than one who is looking to do a VS and gain some experience. I say this from personal experience this year, having applied for a TC at a firm and was offered a VS instead, as they wanted to see some development (but saw potential).

• 🤝
Reactions: nisadee

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Yes, so a "cycle" is generally one application year. You need to decide what you are going to apply for, and you essentially have one shot. I'd say that if you have been unsuccessful for a VS this cycle, you'd likely be unsuccessful for a TC with that same firm. This is because the quality of an applicant who receives a TC offer should be theoretically higher than one who is looking to do a VS and gain some experience. I say this from personal experience this year, having applied for a TC at a firm and was offered a VS instead, as they wanted to see some development (but saw potential).

Oh that makes so much sense! Thank you, I had no idea really as this was my first time doing any of this! I’ve just finished doing a vac scheme (virtual) with a firm so do you think this is good enough experience to start applying for direct TCs with other firms this cycle? Or should I wait for more experience since I’m a penultimate year law student

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Freshfields used to allow you to apply for a TC after an unsuccessful vac scheme application (albeit this is some time ago now). They actually used to recruit a reasonable number of trainees from people who had been unsuccessful post vac scheme interviews - they typically actively encourage those people to reapply though.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Oh that makes so much sense! Thank you, I had no idea really as this was my first time doing any of this! I’ve just finished doing a vac scheme (virtual) with a firm so do you think this is good enough experience to start applying for direct TCs with other firms this cycle? Or should I wait for more experience since I’m a penultimate year law student

having done a Vac will probably be good for your future apps, yes, as it will show you have had some experience and that you are motivated to embark on this path as you’ve had the chance to have first- hand experience. If you make some apps before this cycle closes, just be aware of what @D has said- many firms only allow one app per cycle (I’m honestly not sure about Freshfields’ specific policy so check out their website and FAQs section). I’d say that now you have a Vac though you should be able to make direct TC apps next cycle but again, be aware some firms only recruit through Vac schemes usually (HSF and now Shearman to name two) :)

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Freshfields used to allow you to apply for a TC after an unsuccessful vac scheme application (albeit this is some time ago now). They actually used to recruit a reasonable number of trainees from people who had been unsuccessful post vac scheme interviews - they typically actively encourage those people to reapply though.

Yes, I know a trainee who said he'd been unsuccessful on the vac scheme, got some feedback and reapplied for the TC and was successful. But I'm not sure if that was in the same cycle.

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
having done a Vac will probably be good for your future apps, yes, as it will show you have had some experience and that you are motivated to embark on this path as you’ve had the chance to have first- hand experience. If you make some apps before this cycle closes, just be aware of what @D has said- many firms only allow one app per cycle (I’m honestly not sure about Freshfields’ specific policy so check out their website and FAQs section). I’d say that now you have a Vac though you should be able to make direct TC apps next cycle but again, be aware some firms only recruit through Vac schemes usually (HSF and now Shearman to name two) :)

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I just want back up in case I don't get the TC at the firm I did the vac at. So these would be different firms I haven't made any apps at yet. Next cycle, do you think it would be wise to apply for winter vacs or should I just go for the TCs?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I just want back up in case I don't get the TC at the firm I did the vac at. So these would be different firms I haven't made any apps at yet. Next cycle, do you think it would be wise to apply for winter vacs or should I just go for the TCs?
I guess it really depends. For me, I’d done two vacation schemes and felt I really new the realities of commercial law and that I’d been able to truly affirm it’s the right path for me. From that perspective, I didn’t feel I needed more experience to consolidate this. I personally never wanted to apply to firms I hadn’t met so I was able to attend open days and events to gauge firms, if I felt I sent been able to, I would’ve applied for vacs based on personal preference to truly get a feel for somewhere first. I suppose what I’m saying is it’s really down to your preference and how you feel. I’d reiterate that with some firms, you may have a better chance of getting a TC through a Vac so that’s something to consider. But otherwise, it’s down to how you feel I think :) maybe a mixture would be a good way to go based on the firms’ preferences, I.e. whether they prefer to onboard heavily from vacs etc

• 🤝

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Is it worth applying for the TC after I was rejected following the vac scheme assessment centre at Freshfields just February this year? In my feedback they said my competency interview was good but the case study one, my answers could have been more detailed.
Or do you think it’s better to wait till next year? Does anyone know if they have any limits on how many times you can apply? Because if it’s just one, I don’t want to blow it when I could work on my application more next year...

I emailed Freshfields in April I think about this exact query. I applied for their VS, was unsuccessful from the beginning(no AC stage), and I asked them if I could re-apply this cycle for the TC, and they said this was allowed(if you were a penultimate year student only!) :) .

Some other firms also allow for this, though some recruit directly from VS(mainly US firms). I did email them, so I think its best if you do the same(nothing was mentioned on their website, unlike other firms, who actively mention how you can or cannot reapply). Note that in my case I didn't get to the AC stage, so it may be different for people who have reached that stage. I know at Travers, they told me that I can't reapply following an interview for their VS.

• ℹ️

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
I guess it really depends. For me, I’d done two vacation schemes and felt I really new the realities of commercial law and that I’d been able to truly affirm it’s the right path for me. From that perspective, I didn’t feel I needed more experience to consolidate this. I personally never wanted to apply to firms I hadn’t met so I was able to attend open days and events to gauge firms, if I felt I sent been able to, I would’ve applied for vacs based on personal preference to truly get a feel for somewhere first. I suppose what I’m saying is it’s really down to your preference and how you feel. I’d reiterate that with some firms, you may have a better chance of getting a TC through a Vac so that’s something to consider. But otherwise, it’s down to how you feel I think :) maybe a mixture would be a good way to go based on the firms’ preferences, I.e. whether they prefer to onboard heavily from vacs etc

Thank you so much for the advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, I know a trainee who said he'd been unsuccessful on the vac scheme, got some feedback and reapplied for the TC and was successful. But I'm not sure if that was in the same cycle.

I think it would be unless their policy has changed. The theory was that they had fewer vac scheme places than TCs and so it made sense to do this.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.