Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
The only way it can be a weak link is if you’re forcing the link itself and if it’s not authentically true to you. I’d try to substantiate what it is you’ve enjoyed about the various aspects you’ve experienced so it’s a bit deeper and more analytical but if you can genuinely discuss your open-mindedness and the brevity of things you enjoy then this sounds like a good point to make :)

just to add to this- it’s as much about whether points or links are good or bad, it’s more about how you write/explain and authentically discuss the points and links you are making. It’s less about them in and of themselves and about how you put them across and convey them on the page :) that’s why application writing can be so tough. Yes, it does matter substantively what you are saying and what points you are choosing to a degree but your writing and how you embed them points into your narrative is what makes a standout application :)

Amazing, thanks so so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ah okay! So would there be many double seats in practice areas? And is this something that trainees would be able to choose?

Seats are either 3 months or 6 months. You don’t get a choice as to what they are, that will be down to the departments and what works for them. Secondments are most likely going to be 6 months.

Reactions: futuretraineecity

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi Alice, I remember that in a webinar with Shearman, you stated that you leveraged on your non-legal work experiences, such as your time, working as a barista in both your interviews and application. I've had several part-time jobs and was wondering what would be the best way to leverage these experiences and really draw out the transferrable skills I've honed, such as communication skills and the ability to prioritise responsibilities? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Alice, I remember that in a webinar with Shearman, you stated that you leveraged on your non-legal work experiences, such as your time, working as a barista in both your interviews and application. I've had several part-time jobs and was wondering what would be the best way to leverage these experiences and really draw out the transferrable skills I've honed, such as communication skills and the ability to prioritise responsibilities? :)

If working alongside studying, one key way is to explain how many hours a week you were working. You don't need to describe many part time roles (people can work out what a Barista is) but if you were given any additional responsibilities (e.g. cashing up, training new members of staff) then those are the things to mention, alongside anything that is your personal impact in the role (e.g. if you got a staff award, if you met targets, if you implemented a new way of working). Don't over think "transferable skills" - firms just generally want to see you are someone who takes responsibility and has impact in what they do.

Reactions: julie1995 and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
If working alongside studying, one key way is to explain how many hours a week you were working. You don't need to describe many part time roles (people can work out what a Barista is) but if you were given any additional responsibilities (e.g. cashing up, training new members of staff) then those are the things to mention, alongside anything that is your personal impact in the role (e.g. if you got a staff award, if you met targets, if you implemented a new way of working). Don't over think "transferable skills" - firms just generally want to see you are someone who takes responsibility and has impact in what they do.
@CTST, Jess has explained this well above but it was mainly in competency interviews I could talk about this work well - I worked in the role for 5 years across 5 different stores so just managed to accumulate a lot of relevant experience in this job like time management, organisation, managing stressful situations, problem-solving, conflict resolution etc. Really - it is less about the job I held and more about the fact I could draw on my experiences well because they are numerous and crucially true and authentic. I guess Jaysen, Paul and I were trying to sort of reiterate that every experience is a good one and that part-time work in cafes and supermarkets etc can be much more transferable than you might first realise :) Just have a list of competencies and try to think of times in your jobs where you have demonstrated them :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@CTST, Jess has explained this well above but it was mainly in competency interviews I could talk about this work well - I worked in the role for 5 years across 5 different stores so just managed to accumulate a lot of relevant experience in this job like time management, organisation, managing stressful situations, problem-solving, conflict resolution etc. Really - it is less about the job I held and more about the fact I could draw on my experiences well because they are numerous and crucially true and authentic. I guess Jaysen, Paul and I were trying to sort of reiterate that every experience is a good one and that part-time work in cafes and supermarkets etc can be much more transferable than you might first realise :) Just have a list of competencies and try to think of times in your jobs where you have demonstrated them :)

The above also will have been seen as a commitment (doing something for 5 years) and adapting/being flexible (5 different locations).

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
The above also will have been seen as a commitment (doing something for 5 years) and adapting/being flexible (5 different locations).

Thank you Jess and yeah, on that latter point I was able to translate this to a trainee moving between different teams each rotation and having to learn the ropes again because every store would do things slightly differently etc :) :)

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Does anyone know if Freshfields has a billing automation service? I can't seem to find much online other than an old job posting which stated that the firm was gradually moving to fully automated billing :)

SonM

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 13, 2020
Excuse me the ignorance what’s ATS because I usually register my details on their portal “taleo”

I thought I'd put this here if anyone is facing the same issue as me.

I figured out the problem! I had to create a brand new account and whatnot but basically I think the problem lies with their system!

The original form that I was looking at had an 'Upload Documents' section but the new one had a 'Personal Statment' section. But basically the rest of the tabs were all identical and I also double-checked the job code and that was all the same too. So that's probably why some people can see it and others can't!

If it helps anyone, the template is attached.

Attachments

• personal-statement.doc
    312.5 KB · Views: 45

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I thought I'd put this here if anyone is facing the same issue as me.

I figured out the problem! I had to create a brand new account and whatnot but basically I think the problem lies with their system!

The original form that I was looking at had an 'Upload Documents' section but the new one had a 'Personal Statment' section. But basically the rest of the tabs were all identical and I also double-checked the job code and that was all the same too. So that's probably why some people can see it and others can't!

If it helps anyone, the template is attached.
You are an angel. Thank you very much

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I wish to add something into my FF application which a trainee told me over LinkedIn, should I ask their permission to mention their name?

what’s the context of what you are adding? Is there any value in name dropping them when it will just seem like you are repeating what they are saying rather than it coming from you

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
Hi guys!

So I passed the application stage and was sent the Watson Glaser link two days ago. Scary thing is though, I made a new email address for Freshfields to rectify a glitch on the application, but I haven't been checking the new email address because Freshfields isn't rolling and the deadline is not until tomorrow I believe. So I wasn't expecting to hear back for a couple more weeks at least. But for some reason, I just checked my email, and there it was hahaha. I have until Friday to complete it which is scary because I would have missed that had I not checked.

We should all be hearing back sooner than expected so good luck to everyone!

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hi guys!

So I passed the application stage and was sent the Watson Glaser link two days ago. Scary thing is though, I made a new email address for Freshfields to rectify a glitch on the application, but I haven't been checking the new email address because Freshfields isn't rolling and the deadline is not until tomorrow I believe. So I wasn't expecting to hear back for a couple more weeks at least. But for some reason, I just checked my email, and there it was hahaha. I have until Friday to complete it which is scary because I would have missed that had I not checked.

We should all be hearing back sooner than expected so good luck to everyone!

Amazing - congratulations!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.