Ask Alice G (Future Trainee at Freshfields) Anything!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys!

So I passed the application stage and was sent the Watson Glaser link two days ago. Scary thing is though, I made a new email address for Freshfields to rectify a glitch on the application, but I haven't been checking the new email address because Freshfields isn't rolling and the deadline is not until tomorrow I believe. So I wasn't expecting to hear back for a couple more weeks at least. But for some reason, I just checked my email, and there it was hahaha. I have until Friday to complete it which is scary because I would have missed that had I not checked.

We should all be hearing back sooner than expected so good luck to everyone!
Congratulations!!!!! Best of luck! :) :) you’ve got this :)

EA

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Hi guys!

So I passed the application stage and was sent the Watson Glaser link two days ago. Scary thing is though, I made a new email address for Freshfields to rectify a glitch on the application, but I haven't been checking the new email address because Freshfields isn't rolling and the deadline is not until tomorrow I believe. So I wasn't expecting to hear back for a couple more weeks at least. But for some reason, I just checked my email, and there it was hahaha. I have until Friday to complete it which is scary because I would have missed that had I not checked.

Congratulations!!!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Guys, what did you include "Your qualifications section" I particularly struggle with the table titled "
Please list the subjects you have studied (and have yet to study, if applicable) and the marks for each year for each subject (which must be given as percentages), even if they do not count towards your final degree classification". I am educated overseas and we do not mark exams in percentage. I guess i can I can include an explanation and then include my grades as they were marked.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Guys, what did you include "Your qualifications section" I particularly struggle with the table titled "
Please list the subjects you have studied (and have yet to study, if applicable) and the marks for each year for each subject (which must be given as percentages), even if they do not count towards your final degree classification". I am educated overseas and we do not mark exams in percentage. I guess i can I can include an explanation and then include my grades as they were marked.

I took the word subjects as modules. I wrote out my modules and the grades achieved so far. For my modules where I haven't got results yet I put TBC.

Reactions: Alice G

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Under the education section, did everyone add their GCSEs and A Levels? The format seems suitable only for degree-level education.
I added GCSEs & A levels(although, there are a lot of blank grades/subjects after my GCSE/A levels. I assume this is part of their system?) It asked for what type of qualifications I sat at the age of 14-16/16-18 so I only thought it's apt to enter such results.

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
I added GCSEs & A levels(although, there are a lot of blank grades/subjects after my GCSE/A levels. I assume this is part of their system?) It asked for what type of qualifications I sat at the age of 14-16/16-18 so I only thought it's apt to enter such results.

Thanks for your reply! Did you add/list all your grades in one box? And list the subjects? Or did you add a new 'new education' section for each new grade?

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for your reply! Did you add/list all your grades in one box? And list the subjects? Or did you add a new 'new education' section for each new grade?

I did the former. To me, adding new sections for each grades sounds hectic!

Btw, I did this for Freshfield's first year scheme(although I only achieved one grade at that time :) ) , and I got invited to the WG test(in 2019 though), so I'm sure its fine?

Reactions: EEE

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I'm sure this has been asked 100 times, but on the FF application, where is the most appropriate place to list Open Days/Networking events?
I did them in work experience. I created a work experience section for networking events and open days (one section for both these types of events to be clear :) :) ) and then I created a separate work experience for Freshfields specific open days and events and I went into more detail with their specific ones and I told them what I had learned and my key takeaways :)

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
Hi guys!

Hi Anthony, well done on your application progress so far! I wanted to ask - did you apply for a direct TC? And do Freshfields read applications prior to sending a WG test link or is the link sent automatically?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Anthony, well done on your application progress so far! I wanted to ask - did you apply for a direct TC? And do Freshfields read applications prior to sending a WG test link or is the link sent automatically?
It isn’t automatic, the WG is sent after an application has been reviewed and when it has been considered strong enough to be progressed.

the WG score is then appraised and whilst they have an idea as to what they like in terms of performance, it’s not the be all and end all. If a percentile is slightly lower but the app was very strong then it is possible the candidate will still be progressed to an AC.

please note this info is based on what I heard at a grad workshop last December :)

• ℹ️
  • 🏆
Reactions: dosblancos7, EEE and Anthony Abloh

Anthony Abloh

Esteemed Member
May 24, 2020
It isn’t automatic, the WG is sent after an application has been reviewed and when it has been considered strong enough to be progressed.

the WG score is then appraised and whilst they have an idea as to what they like in terms of performance, it’s not the be all and end all. If a percentile is slightly lower but the app was very strong then it is possible the candidate will still be progressed to an AC.

please note this info is based on what I heard at a grad workshop last December :)

What Alice said hahaha.

Oh and thank you and yes I did apply for a direct TC!

• 🤝

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019

Thank you, Alice! Very useful. It's nice to know that some firms read your application before making you do the test - as that is what has let me down before despite practicing for a long time! It's always such a shame after spending so long on an application to be rejected before it has been read. Congratulations on your TC!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you, Alice! Very useful. It's nice to know that some firms read your application before making you do the test - as that is what has let me down before despite practicing for a long time! It's always such a shame after spending so long on an application to be rejected before it has been read. Congratulations on your TC!
Thank you so much ☺️ Best of luck! :)

• 🤝

skizzle

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 29, 2019
Hi Alice, I applied to a large firm for a direct TC on a whim after finishing in my second year exams, and I was surprised to receive an AC invite for them next week. I was wondering if you think I would be disadvantaged because I did not do a VS at this firm and instead opted for the TC, because I am still quite early in my career? If so, do you know any way I could frame an answer that would demonstrate otherwise? I was fortunate to have completed a virtual VS last month so I do have some 'experience' in a firm, but I am still worried that the firm would question me for not being experienced enough. Any help you could offer here would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.