General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Apparently they sent out a broadcast email saying that they will hold AC's in September, but clearly a lot of us didn't receive that email. I got 32/40 which put me in the 70th percentile, but this was about 3 weeks before the deadline and so my percentile could have gone up or down depending on how candidates after me performed.

that's so odd because I got 33/40 and they said I was in the 91st percentile :confused:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    that's so odd because I got 33/40 and they said I was in the 91st percentile :confused:

can be quite normal for there to be such a difference between the percentile scores when the raw scores seem similar.

1) certain questions might be weighted more than others

2) the time taken to complete the assessment may also be taken into consideration

3) sometimes there are negative scores applied on percentile rankings. If you choose the “really wrong” answer rather than the 1 or 2 answers that were just “wrong” then a negative score could be applied, but you wouldn’t know that from your raw score as that is only measuring questions you for right.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    How do you find out your mark? I did one back in the September application period but could never see how I did in the WG.

You had to email grad recruitment and ask for your scoresheet!

yeah I emailed grad rec, but I didn't't know for ages - I only found out bc someone else said they did it on TCLA - really feel like Links should've been a bit more clear perhaps

Reactions: OB

TTD20

Jan 16, 2020
    @Jessica Booker I have an interview coming up and I was wondering how I should approach answering questions about the firm's place in the market. Should I talk about its ranking and practice areas it is strong in, or should I focus more on how it differs to its competitors (although I have prepared for this as a separate question).

I was also wondering if anyone has completed a group negotiation exercise and if so how you found it/ if you have any tips? Thanks !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I have an interview coming up and I was wondering how I should approach answering questions about the firm's place in the market. Should I talk about its ranking and practice areas it is strong in, or should I focus more on how it differs to its competitors (although I have prepared for this as a separate question).

I was also wondering if anyone has completed a group negotiation exercise and if so how you found it/ if you have any tips? Thanks !

you’ll need to listen to the specifics of the question. I wouldn’t suspect a vague question like “what’s our position in the market”, I would expect it to be more tailored to either cover one of the two things you have mentioned, or potentially other more specific things too.

My tips for a negotiation exercise:

- remember that both sides have got to walk away from the negotiation thinking it works for them.

- you are going to have to concede somethings, otherwise there wouldn’t be a negotiation

- Make sure you record what is being agreed while you go through the exercise. Lost count how many groups get to the end and when they go through what has been agreed, each side thinks something different.

- think about how credible you will be if you come in with ridiculous demands/suggestions. Starting a price negotiation with a claim that something is 100% (or even 50% more) than what it is, isn’t going to be realistic.

- try to make sure you agree how you will work with your team. Negotiation exercises can often be “led” by someone from each team. This is a fine tactic to take, but you have to ensure you are vocal in such an exercise, therefore would it make sense for different team members to lead on the negotiation of certain points (eg someone focuses on real estate, someone focuses on employment, someone focuses on IP).

Try to think about creative solutions - especially if you aren’t able to agree on something by moving on it in a linear way.

Feel free to take a brief “recess” and regroup with your team, or at least ask before the exercise starts as to whether you can do this (just don’t take too long if you do this).

Last edited:

O

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a VI with BM soon and this is my first time doing a VI. I would really appreciate any tips on how to prepare for it, if possible.

If anyone can help or have any insight that would also be great! :)

Thanks!

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I have a VI with BM soon and this is my first time doing a VI. I would really appreciate any tips on how to prepare for it, if possible.

Thanks!

There are quite a few posts on the forum for Baker McKenzie, assuming that’s what you mean by BM.

There is also a lot of general advice for VIs.

Reactions: OB and O

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thanks!

as well as the specific advice about Baker McKenzie someone mentioned, here is some general advice (attached)

Attachments

• JLL video interview.jpg
      JLL video interview.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 71
    • Video interview summary.PNG
      Video interview summary.PNG
      164.9 KB · Views: 69
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: OB, Deleted member 5185 and O

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    Can anyone tell me if I'm being unreasonable to be really put off a firm because of their graduate recruitment? Is it something that will represent the culture of the whole firm or would it be silly to be put off a firm by it?
    Basically, I absolutely adored a firm and got a vacation scheme with them. Because of coronavirus they cancelled the vacation scheme and filled their TC from the direct TC applications. They filled their direct TCs months before telling us they were cancelling the VS. They said to reapply next year for the TC and that they would be running online workshops, careers guidance, one to one sessions etc with us over the next few months. They said that at the beginning of May. The only thing I've heard from them since is them getting me to sign a declaration to say that I don't hold them responsible for pulling out of the vacation scheme. I really feel let down by the firm because of this. They knew that they'd filled their TC spots but didn't tell us for months, they completely cancelled their VS (no virtual VS or anything like other firms), they said they'd run workshops and sessions but never did... It's made me really question whether I want to work for a firm that clearly just doesn't care - but it's just GradRec, I have no idea if that's representative of the firm as a whole. I'm especially put off because the firm really represents itself as a firm that cares about its lawyers and is personable and friendly...
    Am I being unfair to feel this way?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can anyone tell me if I'm being unreasonable to be really put off a firm because of their graduate recruitment? Is it something that will represent the culture of the whole firm or would it be silly to be put off a firm by it?
    Basically, I absolutely adored a firm and got a vacation scheme with them. Because of coronavirus they cancelled the vacation scheme and filled their TC from the direct TC applications. They filled their direct TCs months before telling us they were cancelling the VS. They said to reapply next year for the TC and that they would be running online workshops, careers guidance, one to one sessions etc with us over the next few months. They said that at the beginning of May. The only thing I've heard from them since is them getting me to sign a declaration to say that I don't hold them responsible for pulling out of the vacation scheme. I really feel let down by the firm because of this. They knew that they'd filled their TC spots but didn't tell us for months, they completely cancelled their VS (no virtual VS or anything like other firms), they said they'd run workshops and sessions but never did... It's made me really question whether I want to work for a firm that clearly just doesn't care - but it's just GradRec, I have no idea if that's representative of the firm as a whole. I'm especially put off because the firm really represents itself as a firm that cares about its lawyers and is personable and friendly...
    Am I being unfair to feel this way?

It’s unfair to think that it is graduate recruitment that made the above decisions. Some or all of the team could easily be furloughed, and that’s why things may have been quiet or things haven’t been delivered as first suggested.

Graduate Recruitment don’t control how many people are hired or if they have to make cost savings/adaptations to deal with Covid-19. Everything you have mentioned to me could have completely reasonable explanations given the severity of Covid-19 and the other priorities that have to happen right now.

Being put off by a firm/employer is a personal decision and typically a gut feeling. It’s something that has happened with me with interactions with previous companies I wanted to work for and I still hold them to this day. You are allowed to have them no matter how rational or irrational the basis of the feeling is.

Last edited:
    Reactions: OB
    D

Deleted member 5185

@Jessica Booker

Hi Jessica,

I recently received a certificate from a law firm in light of completing a virtual work experience programme. I would like to let graduate recruitment know, but at the same time do not want to disturb them. There is no way to attach this certificate to the existing application, so should I just leave it?

Thank you :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.