Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.

It doesn’t come down to luck.

The reference to research that suggests people look at things more critically when hungry was just to point out the subjective nature of things.

Recruiters spend an awful amount of time and effort ensuring consistency when screening, and to ensure their own biases don’t influence decisions.

If you are unsuccessful for one firm and not the other, it’s where the firms are looking for different things. This is really common - having reviewed applications for more than one firm in one cycle, I have seen how the same candidates perform very differently across applications for different firms.

Last edited:

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi! For a TC application, does anyone know if it’s sensible to put the legal cheek/bright network internship experiences as work experience? If not where do I include these? Thank you.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
To encourage others. My child has been applying since 2nd year at Uni. Graduated last year (1st Non Law)
Secured 2 VSs with good firms.
Did not convert either but thought the 2nd one was a dead certainty.
Second one was before Christmas requiring 2 weeks out of GDL.
Cried for 4 weeks (over Christmas)
Wanted to give up
Picked themselves up
Started applying again alongside GDL
Secured a direct TC with an MC firm in March

BUT still continuing to get mixed responses in applications still in progress eg rejected by Macfarlanes on application.

I’m posting this to try and encourage you guys still going through it. Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.

This is my favourite quote
“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.

It matters that you don't just give up.”

Stephen Hawking. 1942-2018
Congrats to your child! They have done so well. Thanks so much for this inspiration

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! For a TC application, does anyone know if it’s sensible to put the legal cheek/bright network internship experiences as work experience? If not where do I include these? Thank you.

Yes, you can include these. But if you have more interesting work experience with greater levels of responsibility, don’t leave these out for these virtual internships - especially given how many people have done them.

Reactions: M777

Ashveerruiz

Jul 26, 2020
Hello,

Anyone know of any firms that have deadlines(for training contracts) on the 31st of July? I know Hogan Lovells does, which I recently applied for today. I am also aware of Skadden , though I've heard these US firms recruit exclusively from their Vacation Schemes and the direct route is extremely rare. If anyone knows of any other firms, pls message me or reply on here :D:D

Also with Allen & overy, does anyone know when their direct TC/VS apps reopen again? Last year it was 1st of August, though I'm not sure about this year(and cannot find the date on their website..)

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hello,

Anyone know of any firms that have deadlines(for training contracts) on the 31st of July? I know Hogan Lovells does, which I recently applied for today. I am also aware of Skadden , though I've heard these US firms recruit exclusively from their Vacation Schemes and the direct route is extremely rare. If anyone knows of any other firms, pls message me or reply on here :D:D

Also with Allen & overy, does anyone know when their direct TC/VS apps reopen again? Last year it was 1st of August, though I'm not sure about this year(and cannot find the date on their website..)

I've been using this list here:
https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/TrainingContractDeadlines

I believe Paul Hastings recruit only from direct TCs, not sure how it works with the others!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would anyone happen to know when vac scheme applications will start reopening for Winter 2020/2021? I'm aware it's usually around August/September time but any specific guesses based on last year would be really helpful- thank you!

I suspect for many firms the decision might be much later this year, so it may not be clear until all the new websites/brochures are ready until mid to late September.

1) they might not run winter schemes

2) they might just run virtual schemes

3) either of the above will need budget, and at times like this many firms will be asked to make cost savings, and things like reducing internships can be a relatively easy way to save money.

4) some firms may choose to move their winter schemes to Spring or Summer - especially with the SQE coming in, the standard timeframes for recruitment are going out of the window - there could now be a much shorter time lag rather than the 2-3 years in advance recruitment method. This could mean some firms don’t need to do much recruitment this year, as they could start the recruit Trainees 9-21 months in advance rather than 24-36 months.

5) as recruitment processes are likely to be virtual, the one benefit is the recruitment process from end to end should be much shorter, meaning firms way open applications later than next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.