Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also on average, how many apps is a good number to make without going crazy? lol

the number will be based on your preferences and requirements in an employer. Don’t focus on what other people are doing - just focus on how many applications is right for you.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Has anyone ever applied for something and were genuinely dumbfounded that they got it whether it be TC, VS or otherwise?

Yep - got a vac scheme at a silver circle this year and I was CONVINCED I wouldn't get it. Others on the scheme also felt the same. Really made me realise you never know what they see so all you can do is try your best :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are the best reactions you’ve seen?

the person who thought it was a wind up by one of their friends was particularly funny.

In days of old we used to have to send offers out on the 1st September - I used to stay up until midnight and send all the emails off in one go. We then used to call the offerees the next morning. There were various stories of people screaming their house down and waking up their whole household/neighbours when they got an email at 00.01 on 1 September.

Had several people swear at me (out of shock) and then get really worried their swearing was going to be looked at negatively!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
the person who thought it was a wind up by one of their friends was particularly funny.

In days of old we used to have to send offers out on the 1st September - I used to stay up until midnight and send all the emails off in one go. We then used to call the offerees the next morning. There were various stories of people screaming their house down and waking up their whole household/neighbours when they got an email at 00.01 on 1 September.

Had several people swear at me (out of shock) and then get really worried their swearing was going to be looked at negatively!
These are brilliant! Have you had some very bad responses to rejections?

Parent

Feb 16, 2020

That’s interesting. At the MC firm my child has been offered a TC with - it was the Partner who phoned. Not Grad Recruitment.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Generally they are no different to when you are in person, it’s just delivered virtually/online
But wouldn't not being in person make a significant difference here? You can't really read body language, facial expressions may be difficult to discern (especially if someone has poor video quality), and even with the best internet speed there's always a slight delay which makes it much more difficult to have a conversation with multiple people.

My understanding was that many / most firms will be avoiding group exercises via video for this reason. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That’s interesting. At the MC firm my child has been offered a TC with - it was the Partner who phoned. Not Grad Recruitment.

Yes - that used to be the case at the three MC firms I worked for. Grad Rec used to do the calls the partners couldn’t - which considering you could be making up to 60 offers the same day, were often a significant number for Grad Rec. Especially if the 1st September fell on a Saturday or Sunday

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh yes.... at least you know you made the right decision then. I’ll need to track down my “HR diatribe” response I once had... let me see if I can find it.

found it....,from 2015. This was after I had given them feedback post application when we didn’t normally give it but they kept contacting everyone in the firm and we felt it was easier to just give them the feedback and respond to some of their other “criticisms” they had put into writing....

Dear Jess

I am not disappointed at all and in fact I do not understand what your letters are doing in my inbox.

If the purpose of your 'responses' to annoy and frustrate then could you please stop writing your insulting HR diatribe to me? I have done and still doing more extra-curricular activities than most law graduates do and have given well reasoned answers to all the questions on your application form.

Your response that you spend your week-ends considering graduates' applications is pathetic and no reasonable person will believe you.

Regards

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
But wouldn't not being in person make a significant difference here? You can't really read body language, facial expressions may be difficult to discern (especially if someone has poor video quality), and even with the best internet speed there's always a slight delay which makes it much more difficult to have a conversation with multiple people.

My understanding was that many / most firms will be avoiding group exercises via video for this reason. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Some firms have stopped doing group exercises for the reasons you have suggested.

However, with everyone feeling like Zoom/Teams video calls are here to stay for a long time, many firms are deciding to keep group exercises in their virtual/online assessment centres and have been finding that if anything it can be better for candidates (eg you can see everyone’s faces on one screen rather than facing certain people more than others). I think some firms are also taking it as an opportunity to see how candidates respond to digital technology and how they adapt to it. Having assessed some group exercises in the last four months, I have actually been surprised how well they run.

Employers are tending to make the exercises slightly longer or with contingency timings for things like technical issues. I haven’t experienced any issues with quality of video/sound, but that might be where the employers have been doing checks with candidates ahead of the assessments and ensuring everyone is set up well.

CarinaH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 16, 2020

our group exercise was done via video platform. We all had the room open so we could talk to each other when things needed to be discussed and other than that turned our cameras off and did our research. It honestly wasn’t much different to doing it in person. The actual presenting bit was a bit more tricky, but we managed to plan it quite well beforehand, so in the end it was not too bad. I was so worried about the group exercise and in the end I think if you plan it well and work together, it’s not different to doing it in person. You still see everyone on camera, so it isn’t as difficult as you might think :)

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Some firms have stopped doing group exercises for the reasons you have suggested.

However, with everyone feeling like Zoom/Teams video calls are here to stay for a long time, many firms are deciding to keep group exercises in their virtual/online assessment centres and have been finding that if anything it can be better for candidates (eg you can see everyone’s faces on one screen rather than facing certain people more than others). I think some firms are also taking it as an opportunity to see how candidates respond to digital technology and how they adapt to it. Having assessed some group exercises in the last four months, I have actually been surprised how well they run.

Employers are tending to make the exercises slightly longer or with contingency timings for things like technical issues. I haven’t experienced any issues with quality of video/sound, but that might be where the employers have been doing checks with candidates ahead of the assessments and ensuring everyone is set up well.
our group exercise was done via video platform. We all had the room open so we could talk to each other when things needed to be discussed and other than that turned our cameras off and did our research. It honestly wasn’t much different to doing it in person. The actual presenting bit was a bit more tricky, but we managed to plan it quite well beforehand, so in the end it was not too bad. I was so worried about the group exercise and in the end I think if you plan it well and work together, it’s not different to doing it in person. You still see everyone on camera, so it isn’t as difficult as you might think :)
Ah I see, yeah all of that makes sense actually. Thanks!

WMA

Feb 17, 2020
Has anyone ever applied for something and were genuinely dumbfounded that they got it whether it be TC, VS or otherwise?
Just last week I was offered a Training Contract with a large national firm with opportunities internationally. I had completely resigned myself from the idea of getting a TC there as I thought I completely tanked the final interview and told all my family and friends that this year unfortunately won't be the year I get a TC. I then got the call and couldn't even think of anything to say. They even want me to start before 2022!
Weirdly enough, I was much more confident in other applications which I didn't progress in so it just goes to show, you never know!
Also whilst I'm here, my cycle this year has been much more successful thanks to everyone on this forum! The commercial awareness pages helped me in numerous interviews and everyone's positive attitude also. Best of luck everyone!

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Just last week I was offered a Training Contract with a large national firm with opportunities internationally. I had completely resigned myself from the idea of getting a TC there as I thought I completely tanked the final interview and told all my family and friends that this year unfortunately won't be the year I get a TC. I then got the call and couldn't even think of anything to say. They even want me to start before 2022!
Weirdly enough, I was much more confident in other applications which I didn't progress in so it just goes to show, you never know!
Also whilst I'm here, my cycle this year has been much more successful thanks to everyone on this forum! The commercial awareness pages helped me in numerous interviews and everyone's positive attitude also. Best of luck everyone!
Love inspo stories like this!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Congratulations!!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and WMA

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Huge congrats!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and WMA

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

Congrats!

• 🤝
    Reactions: WMA
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.