Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

CarinaH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 16, 2020
within the firm @CarinaH

I would think that most firms will be quite proactive in terms of looking after their employees mental health. Health and well-being for many firms will be part of their innovation strategy, so they will probably develop apps/platforms. The larger firms will probably also offer counselling/psychology services either in-house or you will have access to it through your private insurance. Firms typically list most of the perks you can expect to have on their grad rec page and that would be one of them, so may be worth reading through those

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’d also look out for mental health advocates within firms you are interested in applying to and see if you can connect with them on LinkedIn to see if they can guide you to anything their firm does. From my own LinkedIn, I see a number of people regularly post about mental health and LinkedIn is a pretty easy way finding relevant content, whether it’s posts or articles.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Hi Jessica, I have a question about grades

I got 69% in my first year, and recently I received my second year results. I got 63%. My concern is that I got high 2:2's(bordering on 2:1's) for 3 modules(non core/commercial), and I also got 66% in contract which I heard some firms really care about. I was wondering how problematic this would be for the current cycle(I applied to 2 MC firms), and the upcoming cycle

:) Thanks

Last edited:

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

I got 69% in my first year, and recently I received my second year results. I got 63%. My concern is that I got high 2:2's(bordering on 2:1's) for 3 modules(non core/commercial), and I also got 66% in contract which I heard some firms really care about. I was wondering how problematic this would be for the coming cycles.

It won't be a real concern in my opinion. Your contract mark is still good and you have a 2.1 so tbh I wouldn't worry about the 2.2s. Just do your best to ensure that your final year grades are as good as possible :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: dosblancos7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I got 69% in my first year, and recently I received my second year results. I got 63%. My concern is that I got high 2:2's(bordering on 2:1's) for 3 modules(non core/commercial), and I also got 66% in contract which I heard some firms really care about. I was wondering how problematic this would be for the current cycle(I applied to 2 MC firms), and the upcoming cycle

I think many firms will be aiming off academic results this year given the disruption - so I wouldn't worry about it, especially if your other grades (college + first year) are ok/good/strong.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    It won't be a real concern in my opinion. Your contract mark is still good and you have a 2.1 so tbh I wouldn't worry about the 2.2s. Just do your best to ensure that your final year grades are as good as possible :)
    Thank you- very reassuring! Congrats on your Gibson TC-I've been seeing your insightful posts on the forum for months and I'm glad it worked out :) !

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I think many firms will be aiming off academic results this year given the disruption - so I wouldn't worry about it, especially if your other grades (college + first year) are ok/good/strong.

Thank you! Just a follow up question, so I've applied to Freshfields and White & Case, and I sent off the application without inputting the entirety of my 2nd year grades(as the deadlines for these apps were way before my results update). Would it be worthwhile/mean anything to send a email to Grad Rec and update them of my grades so they can fill it in the app(I don't think i can update my grades manually). I've done this with Slaughters, although the Grad Rec team e-mailed me for this, rather than the other way around. For some firms I've progressed onto the next stages of the app(WGT) without my second year grades, so maybe im reading into it too much?

Thanks again :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! Just a follow up question, so I've applied to Freshfields and White & Case, and I sent off the application without inputting the entirety of my 2nd year grades(as the deadlines for these apps were way before my results update). Would it be worthwhile/mean anything to send a email to Grad Rec and update them of my grades so they can fill it in the app(I don't think i can update my grades manually). I've done this with Slaughters, although the Grad Rec team e-mailed me for this, rather than the other way around. For some firms I've progressed onto the next stages of the app(WGT) without my second year grades, so maybe im reading into it too much?

Thanks again :)

Pretty sure from others’ posts on here that with Freshfields you can update your results yourself in your application.

If you can’t log back into your application and edit it with the grades, then you can contact the firms directly.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Pretty sure from others’ posts on here that with Freshfields you can update your results yourself in your application.

If you can’t log back into your application and edit it with the grades, then you can contact the firms directly.

Hi Jessica :),

Following what you said, I contacted most of the firms I applied to, updating them on my results. Freshfields said that they couldn't update my results once submitted(fair enough of course!) ; I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage(at an application stage) as my 2nd year grade profile remains incomplete, or would they consider that the deadline was before results day, and later ask for the penultimate year results anyways, if I get further through the process?

Thank you as always!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica :),

Following what you said, I contacted most of the firms I applied to, updating them on my results. Freshfields said that they couldn't update my results once submitted(fair enough of course!) ; I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage(at an application stage) as my 2nd year grade profile remains incomplete, or would they consider that the deadline was before results day, and later ask for the penultimate year results anyways, if I get further through the process?

Thank you as always!

The only way you’d be at a disadvantage is if your first year grades are not strong. It’s not an issue - they will have lots of applicants who won’t have results - they will either ask for them or just make a judgement based on the information they have.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: dosblancos7

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hi Jess

I've seen this on one of the firm's that I am applying to :
    • Apply by 31 January 2020 if you're a non-law student or graduate

• Apply by 31 July 2020 if you're a law student

Does this mean I'm actually not eligible to apply, even though I have done the GDL??

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jess

I've seen this on one of the firm's that I am applying to :
    • Apply by 31 January 2020 if you're a non-law student or graduate

• Apply by 31 July 2020 if you're a law student

Does this mean I'm actually not eligible to apply, even though I have done the GDL??

I know I have responded via PM to this, but for the sake of everyone else seeing this on the forum...

Generally yes, you won't be eligible to apply.

Some firms will consider GDL students as law grads though, but many won't.

I would contact the firm if this is not clear from their website.

This is why I strongly recommend not waiting until the last day of applications to apply though, as these type of last minute questions/concerns often come up and probably won't be answered until after the deadline.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.