Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just got an AC invite for Bakers!!! People should hopefully start hearing back :) if anyone has any tips for virtual ACs I’d be very grateful!!! It consists of a document checking exercise, group exercise, associate interview (competency) and a case study interview with two partners!

Just got an invite to Baker's AC. For those who're wondering, I completed the VI on 19th June. If you log on to the portal and click on the video interview tab, you'll be able to see the status - mine said reviewed on 4 August. Good luck to everyone who's waiting. Also would greatly appreciate any tips :)

Just got an AC invite for Baker McKenzie. Does anyone have any tips? Would really appreciate it. :)

Hi guys! Huge congrats! I think my experience with the Bakers VS AC is up on the interview guides part of the forum but if you need any more advice etc please feel free to PM me - I got offered a TC post vac so I'd be happy to help. :)

D95

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 17, 2019
    So, it looks like I might really start saving for the SQE.

This week I received two rejections following final interviews. "You are an excellent candidate... You performed very well in interviews and tasks... Your performance in exercise X was outstanding... We really enjoyed talking to you... You have an impressive record... You would fit very well in our firm... You are going to make an excellent solicitor... but, we are sorry to inform you that after long consideration, we made offers to other candidates."

Any feedback, any areas of improvement? Not really, "you are an excellent candidate".

It's "only" my second cycle, but I am two years out of uni and I feel that today I have reached my all time low point. I am so fed up with this entire process that I have actually started questioning whether a career in law is for me and that maybe I should just move to Scotland and work on some sheep farm (I like sheep and at least there is very little chance that they would bleat at me: "You are an excellent candidate, but I don't think you are worthy of trimming my fur").

Just as I actually managed to build my confidence up during this cycle following a painful rejection last year (which, however, came with a very valuable feedback), I can see it shattering into million pieces in front of my eyes. Again.

I am genuinely happy for everyone who has heard good news recently and I am rooting for everyone who is going through the ACs / interviews right now - sorry for creeping in with such a depressing post but while I still can't break the glass ceiling, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and I know that many of you will finish this cycle with TC offers :)

2019grad31

Jun 17, 2020
    Candidates are usually given 4 weeks to accept their offers so this is strange. Perhaps the firm needs answers quicker than usual given the current climate. I spoke to Macfarlanes a little while back who said they are happy to give applicants who have other pending interviews more time if necessary, and that candidates just need to make the firm aware. So I would just email and explain that you have another interview and you want to have all your offers on the table before making a decision, and politely ask for some additional time. More importantly...congrats!!!!

Thank you!!! Yes I found it strange too. I know the SRA voluntary code recommends firms give four weeks but someone had warned me they were only given a week to accept with another firm last year. Thanks for the advice, I think that’s all I can do just be v honest, don’t ask don’t get I suppose!

Reactions: Anthony Abloh

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020

This week I received two rejections following final interviews. "You are an excellent candidate... You performed very well in interviews and tasks... Your performance in exercise X was outstanding... We really enjoyed talking to you... You have an impressive record... You would fit very well in our firm... You are going to make an excellent solicitor... but, we are sorry to inform you that after long consideration, we made offers to other candidates."

Any feedback, any areas of improvement? Not really, "you are an excellent candidate".

It's "only" my second cycle, but I am two years out of uni and I feel that today I have reached my all time low point. I am so fed up with this entire process that I have actually started questioning whether a career in law is for me and that maybe I should just move to Scotland and work on some sheep farm (I like sheep and at least there is very little chance that they would bleat at me: "You are an excellent candidate, but I don't think you are worthy of trimming my fur").

Just as I actually managed to build my confidence up during this cycle following a painful rejection last year (which, however, came with a very valuable feedback), I can see it shattering into million pieces in front of my eyes. Again.

I am genuinely happy for everyone who has heard good news recently and I am rooting for everyone who is going through the ACs / interviews right now - sorry for creeping in with such a depressing post but while I still can't break the glass ceiling, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and I know that many of you will finish this cycle with TC offers :)
    Hey I’m so so sorry about that. I don’t think there’s much anyone can say except I totally understand. I have realized that sometimes you can do everything just right and still, luck does not fall on your side. Please take care of yourself and I really pray something works out for you in the most unexpected but bestest (not a word I know) way possible. Reach out if u want to rant or anything, I have had a tough summer too so I totally understand

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019

I'm sorry - this is so hard to read. I hope you're ok. I received a vacation scheme rejection and when I requested feedback they only gave positive feedback, when I pushed a bit harder they said that there really was nothing more I could have done. The hardest part is that it makes you feel paranoid, thinking maybe you're being discriminated against if you're a woman or LGBT+ or BAME or maybe it's that you're not a woman or LGBT+ or BAME so would look bad for statistics. Maybe it's because you're short so they didn't think you were competent, maybe it's because you have an accent, maybe it's because of that one module where you got a 2:2. Maybe it's because you went to the bathroom during the networking lunch so didn't meet as many people or that no one picked you to ask a question during the introduction talk so you didn't get noticed. You can honestly lose your mind trying to figure it out - trust me, I have.
    Just focus on the future. If you can't learn anything from your feedback then guesswork won't help you. Third time lucky - good luck and stick at it.

Law_Grad1

Star Member
    Oct 12, 2018

I'm so sorry to hear this. I am in the same position as you - two years a graduate, didn't even get feedback from my VS at a US law firm last year (despite all my supervisors and everyone I worked with giving me great feedback and really feeling like I'd crushed it), just 'we've decided to go another way'. I tried contacting grad rec but received no response. I know it sounds empty now, but if you are getting this far consistently you are clearly a great candidate. There is a place for us out at a great firm for us with our names on it, so long as we don't give up.

It's hard to face rejection after rejection, especially when you are not even given a chance to improve. However, I believe this will make you an even stronger candidate in the long run. Dedication is a part of the game, now, on qualification and every day thereafter. Again, you wouldn't be getting this far if you didn't have the potential and it seems like you have the attitudes to back up that potential.

Take some time for yourself this weekend. Enjoy the sunshine (and/or the sheep) and refresh next week. You will do it, I am sure!

If you ever want to just talk about the process / stress, one graduate to another, shoot me a PM.

D

Deleted member 5185

So, I have been practising the WG for a while and I have some advice for you.

First of all the statements are structured in a way that push you to think beyond the statement. The statement is all you need to focus on nothing else matters.
    For example, if you look at the attached file the key word in the statement is what is beneficial for the environment. Therefore the argument is a strong argument.
    For what concerns assumptions: here it is basically telling you that the friend should reduce sugary drinks to protect her teeth. Hence, the assumption is that sugary drinks are bad for your teeth.
    Deductions: I divide the statements in different parts and try to make a deduction for each part and works for me.
    Inferences: first and foremost we all struggle, damn I hate inferences. However, I used this website called job test prep (cant find the link but will send you if I do) and it was illuminating. Here I am attaching an example of my answer. Basically, I believe that the answer is "insufficient data" why? Because the statement only tells me how much Mark's quickest journey costs but does not give any info about the cost for other journeys. So, how can i know how much it costs?

That's my two cent. Please, do not practice too much, check your answers and try to understand where you struggle the most.

P.S. Congrats

Thank you so so much for this! I can't seem to get past a certain mark but am trying not to overthink it.

Reactions: julie1995

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone-

Does anyone have any experience of asking for more time to consider a TC offer?

I’ve received an offer and been given only a week to accept. However, I have an AC for a TC at another firm a week today, which I would rather take if offered. Really not sure what to do! Thanks

one of two options here:

1) ask for an extension, explain you have another AC that you’d like to attend before making the decision. Be prepared for them to say no though

2) Accept and then renege at a later point if you need to. If they don’t abide by the voluntary code, neither do you.

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi everyone-

Does anyone have any experience of asking for more time to consider a TC offer?

I’ve received an offer and been given only a week to accept. However, I have an AC for a TC at another firm a week today, which I would rather take if offered. Really not sure what to do! Thanks

I was able to juggle multiple extensions with firms. Feel free to DM me if you want some specific advice. Jessica's advice holds true, however.

Flk10

Star Member
    Jan 18, 2020

I know it’s hard, but try not to get too disheartened. I truly believe that the opportunity that is right for you will not pass you by.

I had a similar experience at a VS last year where all the feedback I had throughout the scheme was excellent and I even had a feedback meeting with the partner supervising me on the final day who said all the work I’d done for them was really good and they’d only heard great feedback from the rest of the team. I got rejected for the TC the following week and feedback that didn’t make sense at all.

I managed to get another VS this year at a firm that is bigger and probably more prestigious and was fortunate to be offered a TC last month.

A bigger and better opportunity that is perfect for you will come along soon!

Law123

Star Member
    Mar 31, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

Hi, could you explain what the term first generation means please? My parents did not go to university, but my elder sister did, does that still make me part of the first generation of my family to go to university?

The question in the application form asks: If you went to University (to study a BA, BSc course or higher), were you part of the first generation of your family to do so?

Thank you very much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi, could you explain what the term first generation means please? My parents did not go to university, but my elder sister did, does that still make me part of the first generation of my family to go to university?

The question in the application form asks: If you went to University (to study a BA, BSc course or higher), were you part of the first generation of your family to do so?

Thank you very much!

It means your parents, not siblings. You are the first generation in your family to attend university. Your sister is part of the same generation, which is why the question states “were you part of the first generation of your family to do so”.

Reactions: Law123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Beware though, that some firms simply ask "were you the first person in your family to go to university?" - which obviously includes siblings.

It’s bad wording. They really need to know whether your parents went to university or not.

Law123

Star Member
    Mar 31, 2020
    Thank you all! :)

@Jessica Booker

I submitted my application at the end of December and have a vacation scheme next week. I have just realised I stated no to the first generation question when it should be yes.

It states in the Equal Opportunity section: 'This information will be used solely for the purposes of monitoring our equal opportunities policy and will not be visible to those shortlisting or interviewing candidates.'

Should I change this on my application to answer yes? I do not want to be disadvantaged in any way as the firm is very strong on diversity and inclusion.

Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.